Royalty thread #15: A New Era

Status
Not open for further replies.

MsZem

I see the sea
The Meghan is a man thing was all over YT comments.
If you lack worthwhile reading material, you can try these threads:

MacMadame

Doing all the things
The Meghan is a man thing was all over YT comments.
But why would KP comment on it? Have H&M commented on the current Kate rumors? Of course not. I wouldn't expect it either.

What I don't understand is why William and Kate were seen out in public on March 11th and no one here is commenting on it. Or why the rumors continue that she has left him as she clearly hasn't.

Jenny

From the Bloc
Connect the dots. I have been wondering, based on how many mainstream media is running with salacious gossip, whether WME isn't involved somehow. And no I am not putting that on Megan/Harry but on their agency taking advantage of this disaster by KP to boost their clients worth (and launch her newest adventure)..

Not my field of expertise, I think we actually have some experts here who can chime in, but my gut says this was handed to them on a silver platter to try to use to their advantage.

I'd be really surprised if WME is orchestrating an anti-Kate campaign as a way of promoting Meghan. They're a huge agency with a ton of well-known clients, and while yes that doesn't mean they are immune to dirty tricks or have rogue agents doing what they think is best, I think it's more likely that they are trying to promote Meghan the usual way - appearances, collabs, magazine covers, speaking engagements, etc.

My bet is that Colbert and his writers were just jumping on the bandwagon given all the buzz on this, and though they were being edgy in their humour, pushing it in a late-night way, without really thinking it through.

There is something about this whole thing that seems very coordinated.

A few weeks ago there was a bunch of posts on Twitter with the same wording that said (paraphrasing here) "I don't really follow the British royals but where is Kate Middleton?"

Indeed. Feels like there are two layers to this - whoever started this, likely through a Twitter disinformation campaign, and then the second layer is everyone jumping on board with the memes and jokes, the amateur sleuthing with the image, the click bait, the self-important "experts" seeing an opportunity to get boost their own personal brands with quotes and appearances and more clicks.

The question is, who started this? I posted a few pages back about how an anti-Amber Heard campaign originated in Saudi Arabia, which at first makes no sense until we understand that they are financing Johnny Depp's new movies, so they're protecting their investment. (Which is of course not an excuse, but it is a reason.)

Is this really just about Meghan's fans seeing an opportunity to discredit Kate? Seems so absurd to me, but then again.

canbelto

But why would KP comment on it? Have H&M commented on the current Kate rumors? Of course not. I wouldn't expect it either.

What I don't understand is why William and Kate were seen out in public on March 11th and no one here is commenting on it. Or why the rumors continue that she has left him as she clearly hasn't.
Bc the picture could have been a body double. No proof that was actually Kate.

Not saying I believe that, just what tje Kate truthers were saying.

Karen-W

How long do we have to wait for GP assignments?

airgelaal

I'd be really surprised if WME is orchestrating an anti-Kate campaign as a way of promoting Meghan.
It would be better to explain what this is

MacMadame

Doing all the things
Her face is turned away from the camera and it's a very blurry photo.
No, it isn't. It isn't even close to that.

Here is the photo, btw. You can see she is in focus and she is 90% facing the camera and either starting or stopping a wave. He's slightly out of focus due to a shallow aperture.
william-kate-car-photo-edited.jpg

overedge

Mayor of Carrot City
Stephen Colbert and Meghan are both repped by talent agency WME.

Which is a huge agency that has hundreds of clients and dozens of agents.

Colbert misstepped on this one, and I say that as a huge fan of his work. But the idea that his agency somehow got him to say this as an indirect way of making another agency client look good....no.

That's not how it works (for one thing, his monologue is collectively written by a roomful of writers, not by him alone) and he is enough of a "name" that his agency probably wouldn't try this on him.

ETA: when agencies use clients to get attention for other clients, it's usually deals with media outlets like "interview [unknown client] and write something good about [terrible film or TV show starring unknown client], and we'll give you an exclusive interview with [very famous client]." Not telling clients what jokes to tell in their monologues.

Last edited:

Steph

Connect the dots. I have been wondering, based on how many mainstream media is running with salacious gossip, whether WME isn't involved somehow. And no I am not putting that on Megan/Harry but on their agency taking advantage of this disaster by KP to boost their clients worth (and launch her newest adventure)..

WME having a mole in the Colbert writers' room seems like a bit of a stretch.

overedge

Mayor of Carrot City
It would be better to explain what this is

It says something that the landing page for this site wants you to give your email address for the "waitlist", without even explaining what this venture is. No thanks, data scrapers.

puglover

Not that I think this will make even a tiny bit of difference in anyone's opinion , but someone who seems to have dug deep into the royal affair rumours is Kinsey Scofield. It is called "Putting Royal Affair Rumours to Bed Once and For All" - Kinsey's LA Diaries". Is she impartial - probably not - but she does provide some interesting quotes. Also reminds everyone that there is another family as well as their children also involved and they have been, and remain, very close to the royal family.

Karen-W

Not that I think this will make even a tiny bit of difference in anyone's opinion , but someone who seems to have dug deep into the royal affair rumours is Kinsey Scofield. It is called "Putting Royal Affair Rumours to Bed Once and For All" - Kinsey's LA Diaries". Is she impartial - probably not - but she does provide some interesting quotes. Also reminds everyone that there is another family as well as their children also involved and they have been, and remain, very close to the royal family.
Kinsey seems to be a pretty straight shooter - she is the Talk TV Hollywood/Royal correspondent on YT. She always has really interesting insights about the intersection of Hollywood and the Sussexes (she doesn't strike me as much of a fan/supporter of them however she is usually quite fair in her analysis).

overedge

Mayor of Carrot City
In other news, this is petty but Meghan launched her new brand American Riviera Orchard and already committed my biggest pet peeve in "branding" -- the oatmeal look. Does anyone ever look at an oatmeal-colored brand and think "I must buy this"?

Also - and I know this has been rehashed many times - why is she branding it as being by Meghan, the Duchess of Sussex? I know that's her title and she has a legitimate right to use it, but she seems to rely on her title an awful lot for someone who dislikes the rigid class system and hierarchy in the UK.

Last edited:

marbri

Hey, Kool-Aid!
To clear up some misunderstanding I wasn't meaning to suggest that WME told Colbert to make a joke about affairs.

I was, rather poorly it turns out, trying to figure out why mainstream media and shows are very comfortable talking about Rose Hanbury these days. To me that is odd.

marbri

Hey, Kool-Aid!
But about Meghan's new adventure. I think it's the first time since she left that I think we get a true glimpse of where her real interests are so this might actually work for her. I am not her target audience but I imagine if she has enough of a fan base in the US and gets Oprah to include the odd item when she does her favourite lists and they'll do fine I think.

But it's obvious they need the royal connection . And the products they look to be selling are very similar in theme to this site (jams, linens, china and glassware):

MsZem

I see the sea
This is like the Tig 2.0 so she's back where she was before marrying Harry but now she has a big house and a title.
Meghan has long struck me as someone who wants to do Big, Meaningful Things but can't really shake her influencer persona.

Also, American Riviera Orchard sounds like a brand you'd buy at Costco.

* I wish we had Costco in Israel.
** Or HEB, which is glorious.

marbri

Hey, Kool-Aid!
This is like the Tig 2.0 so she's back where she was before marrying Harry but now she has a big house and a title.
I never saw the Tig. But I also only googled Poosh and Goop since Megan launched her site and her new site is suggested to be like those.

I am not in the target market for any of these sites. Just not how I do my online shopping. I like nice things but I don't aspire to buy nice things from someone I may be a fan of just because, if I am looking for a linen tablecloth I will research where the best linen tablecloths are made and find out who sells them.

But I only say that to admit I don't know how her site will compare to others. But I do know that there is a huge audience and market out there for these sorts of things. I even see it on my local online grocery site who now has sections titled " name of influencer top picks". My reaction is always "oh f*** off" but again they aren't trying to sell it to this old dinosaur.

eta... But I think I need to stop reading various SM sites for a few days and cleanse my mind. I seem to always get dragged back when their stuff hits mainstream and I can't help but see it :)

Karen-W

I just want to know... Is "American Riviera" a common nickname for the Santa Barbara coast? I've never even heard of that nickname for any coastal region in the US - and if it is one, I'd have guessed it was for the Hamptons or maybe Palm Beach County, not Santa Barbara County.

Sylvia

TBD
https://x.com/royanikkhah/status/1769069987493228799 (The Times article is paywalled)
The Prince and Princess of Wales plan to be “clear and more open” about the princess’s recovery from abdominal surgery, with Kate expected to talk about it after she resumes public duties next month.
“They will want to be clear and more open, but they’ll do it when they feel ready. I would expect that to be her instinct and it will be her call. They’re not going to be rushed…They are trying to keep things as normal as possible for the kids, but it’s not easy.”
Despite the furore over their Mother’s Day family photo, they are still expected to share a new pic of Prince Louis on his 6th birthday next month: “They appreciate the public’s love and affection for their children and know there is a public appetite to see them on birthdays.”

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information