Royalty thread #15: A New Era

Status
Not open for further replies.

taf2002

Fluff up your tutu & dance away.....
I don't know what to think about the Cambridges/Princess Beatrice drama. Every report I've seen says Beatrice was about to move into some royal residence that had been approved (can't remember which one) & then the Cambridges decided they wanted that one. So the one Princess Bee got didn't have as good a location for her husband. Also some reports lately have called William an entitled & unpleasant little prick. Both these reports come from a pretty reputable site, not a tabloid.

Karen-W

Checking Senior Bs for TES mins...
I don't know what to think about the Cambridges/Princess Beatrice drama. Every report I've seen says Beatrice was about to move into some royal residence that had been approved (can't remember which one) & then the Cambridges decided they wanted that one. So the one Princess Bee got didn't have as good a location for her husband. Also some reports lately have called William an entitled & unpleasant little prick. Both these reports come from a pretty reputable site, not a tabloid.
Care to share the link? I haven't seen any reports like that on the royalty forum I frequent and something like this would normally be shared.

I believe they were using Frogmore Cottage (Harry & Meghan's Windsor digs) for awhile. The Cambridges moved, in early September, to Adelaide Cottage, which is also in Windsor - and they're paying market rate. Rumors had been swirling around for several months that the Cambridges were checking into various Windsor royal properties because they wanted more privacy than Kensington Palace affords them (especially the kids). Maybe she had her eye on that place, but my understanding is there are other residences available - it might be a matter of what they like or don't like.

MLIS

What I read (months ago, so I don't have a link) is that it was Prince Andrew who wanted Adelaide Cottage for Princess Eugenie and her family. I did a quick google search just now and found a few articles (like this one: https://www.cosmopolitan.com/entert...-kate-middleton-princess-eugenie-house-drama/), all citing the Daily Mail, which is a pretty sleazy tabloid. Eugenie was sub-leasing Frogmore Cottage from Harry and Meghan, but also apparently splitting her time between the UK and Portugal due to her husband's work. William and Kate looked at various properties on the Windsor estate and for whatever reason settled on Adelaide Cottage (if they had known the Queen was going to die so soon after they moved in they might have made a different call, since all of the properties and everything will be shuffled now, and I understand Charles doesn't particularly like Windsor Castle and may not use it very much, whereas the Queen was living there full time). As far as I know Adelaide Cottage hadn't been promised to either Eugenie or Beatrice, and neither of them was set to move in, although it may well be true that they wanted it. I expect William decided he didn't really care what Andrew wanted, particularly when it comes to Andrew's longstanding attempts to have all the royal perks for his daughters without them being working royals.

puglover

I am so pleased to see King Charles and Camilla looking so happy. I sincerely hope that Prince Harry and his book and podcasts focus more on his life in the military and mental health initiatives and "spare" us the woe is me details.

ballettmaus

Unless the Cambridges wanted the residence because Beatrice wanted it, I don't see an issue. The Cambridges are working royals with quite a lot of duties now that William is 2nd in line. Beatrice is not a working royal. I think it's only fair that the Cambridges get to choose first regardless of whether someone else has eyed the residence themselves. 🤷‍♀️

taf2002

Care to share the link? I haven't seen any reports like that on the royalty forum I frequent and something like this would normally be shared.

I believe they were using Frogmore Cottage (Harry & Meghan's Windsor digs) for awhile. The Cambridges moved, in early September, to Adelaide Cottage, which is also in Windsor - and they're paying market rate. Rumors had been swirling around for several months that the Cambridges were checking into various Windsor royal properties because they wanted more privacy than Kensington Palace affords them (especially the kids). Maybe she had her eye on that place, but my understanding is there are other residences available - it might be a matter of what they like or don't like.
As I said, I don't know what to think. I don't read Daily Mail or any other tabloids other than an entertainment one (TVline). I read it twice on my online news site. Neither article mentioned Andrew at all.
Unless the Cambridges wanted the residence because Beatrice wanted it, I don't see an issue. The Cambridges are working royals with quite a lot of duties now that William is 2nd in line. Beatrice is not a working royal. I think it's only fair that the Cambridges get to choose first regardless of whether someone else has eyed the residence themselves. 🤷‍♀️

I doubt they wanted it because Beatrice wanted it. As far as I know they don't have any reason to be spiteful to Beatrice. But the article implied that Beatrice had been approved for that residence. If that's true then I don't agree the Cambridges should be able to upset that arrangement. Otherwise lesser royals would never be able to count on anything even up to the last minute.

Jenny

From the Bloc
It kind of feels like an ice dance uber matrix could be made of the British Royal Family :rofl:

No kidding! Because here's the thing, curiosity got the better of me so I did a little googling, and it was never Beatrice who was in a dustup with William and Kate, it was Eugenie, months and months ago and it was all rumour and anonymous sources anyway. It's actually interesting how often the stories say that this royal or that "reportedly" lives here or there - it's a bit of a shell game I think.

So here's what it looks like to me based on various reports dated between six months ago and two days ago:

Beatrice (reportedly) lives in an apartment in St. James Palace, along with various other royals. Plans have been afoot to move to the Cotswolds for months as they complete renos and security upgrades on a non-royal property they bought. My thinking: that sounds like a primary home for a young family to me, and makes sense to hang onto the apartment in St James Palace for when they need to be in London. No mention of any cottages at Windsor or anywhere else that I could find.

Eugenie (reportedly) now lives in Nottingham Cottage, which is on the grounds of Kensington Palace. Before that, she lived in Frogmore Cottage at Windsor, and we all know who lived there before her (bonus tidbit - Harry still has a lease on the house, and may or may not have renewed it recently). Eugenie also currently has a home in Portugal, where her husband works.

Now, back in the spring there were indeed breathless "reports" that Andrew had wanted Adelaide Cottage for his daughter, and at least one report that she wanted it too, but William planned to take it to be closer to the ailing Queen, who loved Windsor. Not sure if they ever actually lived there, but the latest rumours are that William will move into Windsor Castle proper, a place that Charles reportedly never particularly liked and he's moving into Buckingham Palace anyway.

Phew. Unless the Queen herself was videotaped or wrote down in her own hand that someone was "promised" a property I think we can only guess what the real story is. And yeah, at this point I do think that the current heir to the throne and his family, which includes the next three heirs, should have precedence over his non-working Royal cousin who has a family of her own and interests abroad.

That being said, how many palaces and so-called cottages (growing up, my family had a cottage - a tiny cabin by a lake with no electricity or plumbing) do these people have? Surely there must be plenty to go around, no?

MLIS

That being said, how many palaces and so-called cottages (growing up, my family had a cottage - a tiny cabin by a lake with no electricity or plumbing) do these people have? Surely there must be plenty to go around, no?
It regularly cracks me up that they call all these places “cottages” when they’re more luxurious than most mansions. I understand the crown does own a lot of property, but most places are either occupied (by family members or leased out) or in need of repair and renovation. One article I read said Harry and Meghan were offered Adelaide Cottage by the Queen before settling on Frogmore, and William and Kate looked at four properties on the Windsor estate but Adelaide was the only one that worked for their family. So, I mean, it’s a problem most of us would never even dream of having, but there aren’t really that many unoccupied, suitable houses to go around.

Vagabond

:rolleyes:

Giving The Daily Mail the benefit of every doubt, all we know is that Prince Andrew wanted Beatrice and her family to live there. That is understandable. It's about five miles from where he lives, and he really has nothing better to do with his life these days than to be a doting grandfather. There's no indication that the princess wanted it for herself. And why would she? The house is about five miles away from where her creepy father lives.

taf2002

:rolleyes:

Giving The Daily Mail the benefit of every doubt, all we know is that Prince Andrew wanted Beatrice and her family to live there. That is understandable. It's about five miles from where he lives, and he really has nothing better to do with his life these days than to be a doting grandfather. There's no indication that the princess wanted it for herself. And why would she? The house is about five miles away from where her creepy father lives.
Maybe she doesn't think he's creepy. If so, she's probably one of three people who don't.

Vagabond

It's staff, not the family. I, do, however, wonder about the nature and quality of the training that the staff gets.

PRlady

Cowardly admin
Staff member
It's ridiculous how often that "where are you really from" nonsense comes up. How is anyone still unaware how stupid and offensive it is?
My husband gets it all the time when we travel. He does have a strong accent, but after telling you he’s from DC why are you asking the “really” question? Are you working for 60 Minutes? :mad:

Andora

Skating season ends as baseball season begins
It's staff, not the family. I, do, however, wonder about the nature and quality of the training that the staff gets.
It's a member of the aristocracy who was long-considered QEII's number 1 Lady In Waiting.

She's also William's god mother.

It's telling about the BRF, who they associate so closely with. (Though I doubt William had much choice in who is godmother is)

I'm glad KCIII shut it down quickly and had her resign, though apparently Buckingham Palace's claims of reaching out to the Charity Founder is dubious, as Ngozi Fulani claimed she hadn't heard from them.

overedge

Mayor of Carrot City
Training for people in positions like Lady Susan Hussey's likely consists of "how to keep the family happy". Not racial or ethnic sensitivity, and certainly that wouldn't even have been a part of most workplace training of any kind in the era when she started her job.

Jenny

From the Bloc
Training for people in positions like Lady Susan Hussey's likely consists of "how to keep the family happy". Not racial or ethnic sensitivity, and certainly that wouldn't even have been a part of most workplace training of any kind in the era when she started her job.
But it is now, or should be, and it's not limited to new employees. In fact, I know of several companies where training is not only mandatory for all employees, but it's mandatory on an annual basis.

Last edited:

overedge

Mayor of Carrot City
But it is now, or should be, and it's not limited to new employees. In fact, I know of several companies where training is not only mandatory for all employees, but it's mandatory on an annual basis.

I'm not disagreeing with you - simply pointing out that it's not likely to have been part of Hussey's experience. And honestly if someone can't accept that a POC can't possibly be British, it's doubtful whether any kind of training is going to make a difference to that sort of ingrained attitude.

Andora

Skating season ends as baseball season begins
I'm not disagreeing with you - simply pointing out that it's not likely to have been part of Hussey's experience. And honestly if someone can't accept that a POC can't possibly be British, it's doubtful whether any kind of training is going to make a difference to that sort of ingrained attitude.

Then she had no business being in attendance at this event. Especially if it's true she's exhibited this kind of behaviour in the past.

She doesn't come out with ridiculous remarks all of a sudden at her age. CERTAINLY someone should have recognized that she didn't belong at the event.

overedge

Mayor of Carrot City
Then she had no business being in attendance at this event. Especially if it's true she's exhibited this kind of behaviour in the past.

She doesn't come out with ridiculous remarks all of a sudden at her age. CERTAINLY someone should have recognized that she didn't belong at the event.

Believe me, I'm not defending her. Just pointing out that a lack of workplace diversity training is probably not the cause of this situation.

Wyliefan

Ubering juniors against my will
How's this for timing? Charles is providing a foreword to a book about African female refugees and survivors. (Incidentally, I did a book for Plough myself, so now I can say I share a publisher with the king. :lol: )

PRlady

Cowardly admin
Staff member
And how’s this for timing? We just watched The Crown episode about Diana’s interview on the BBC. The old governor of their Board of Directors and his wife are featured - and yup, Lady Susan Hussey. She’s portrayed as a good buddy of the Queen, and he as a militant defender of the traditional, pro-Royal BBC.

D

Deleted member 221

I agree Susan Hussey went too far and should have picked up on the cues that she was making a guest uncomfortable. She did the correct thing by resigning. I think the incident is more "old lady" than racist, and I'll cut Hussey some slack because Fulani was dressed in traditional African garb, representing a charity that is focused on women of African descent. She didn't walk up to, say, Naomie Harris or Diane Abbott or Kemi Badenoch and say this. I'll also point out: 37% of people in London and 56% of people in the City of Westminster (central London) were born outside the UK. If you meet someone on the street outside of Buckingham Palace, it's more likely than not that they are foreign-born. It's not an unreasonable question, even if the persistence crossed the line.

It's ridiculous how often that "where are you really from" nonsense comes up. How is anyone still unaware how stupid and offensive it is?

Part of the reason I don't assume this was racist is that this happens to me all the time. I don't think it's necessarily stupid nor offensive. When I open my mouth, people know I am not from London. I don't blame them for asking where I'm "really" from.

My husband gets it all the time when we travel. He does have a strong accent, but after telling you he’s from DC why are you asking the “really” question?

I think most people mean well. Some people ask it to be an ice-breaker, a get-to-know-you. Other times, they're asking a a sloppy question. Where am I from? I honestly don't know. Where do I live? Where was I born? Where did I grow up? All of those are easy questions I can answer. I choose those questions over the vague, "where are you from," which can have many answers or no answer. I think I'm from nowhere and everywhere. If people ask me where I'm from, I usually answer by saying, "I live in London."

Barbara Manatee

"Where are you from?" is a conversation starter. "No, where are you really from?" is offensive.

I think it's very possible Lady Hussey didn't mean or understand the racist subtext of her questioning, but it is still there. And someone with her life experience should know better. I don't think she deserves the pile on she's getting, though.

Last edited:

El Rey

"Where are you from?" is a conversation starter. "No, where are you really from?" is offensive.

I think it's very possible Lady Hussey didn't mean or understand the racist subtext of her questioning, but it is still there. And someone with her life experience should know better. I don't think she deserves the pile on she's getting, though.
I get the “Where are you really from” question from Latinos and others. I’m Mexican. They think I’m from Colombia or Venezuela. Not sure why it matters to them (or really how we can’t look the same). I also get asked if I’m Filipino. Indian. And Vietnamese. Consumed for Korean a few times. I don’t see that at all. Mexicans think I’m “white” or light skinned. It doesn’t bother me. I can see why this person asked where she is from. I don’t think it means they’re racist. Maybe an opportunity for people to have a discussion on why it can be offense? Sure. Do I think the person effected is overreacting? Yes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information