Royalty Thread#12 Tiaras, Palaces & Gilded Cages

Status
Not open for further replies.

mag

We talk about Diana, Kate, and Meghan as three who brought fashion to the BFR, but if social media had been around when Princess Anne was teenager and young adult, I think there would have been an “Anne effect.” She can clearly hold her own in the forward fashion department.

Vagabond

Princess Anne strikes me as having always been interested in style more than fashion. Perhaps that comes with having been born into royalty rather than marrying into it.

mag

Princess Anne strikes me as having always been interested in style more than fashion. Perhaps that comes with having been born into royalty rather than marrying into it.

I agree that she is more about style than fashion, even now. I think Diana loved both and enjoyed the clothes as part of the job. Looking back some of her stuff now looks:yikes:but at the time is was considered fabulous and amazing for the most part. She was also so young and dressed by Vogue for the first few years, it is hard to know what was her style and what was a style she just accepted.

I get the impression that Kate is not super into fashion. She knows she needs to look the part, but being a “style icon” doesn’t appear to be high on her list of priorities. She knows what she looks good in and sticks to it. In some ways like Princess Anne.

I am not absolutely sure about Meghan. She certainly knew how, or had people who knew how, to get dressed up and put on a show when required, but whether she would have settled into a fairly reliable style like Kate or pushed the fashion boundaries is hard to say. She was much older than both Kate and Diana when she became royal so her basic style was probably pretty much set.

puglover

Kate did work in fashion as a buyer for the clothing line "Jigsaw". Whether she picks her styles or she has a stylist doing the choosing, I have always felt they really have nailed her "look" and the fit. I enjoyed the dresses Meghan wore during her last trip to London the most of any I have previously seen her in. They also seemed a better fit for her.

Reactions: mag

taf2002

Fluff up your tutu & dance away.....
IMO Kate is kind of vanilla with her style. I don't think we'll ever see her in anything fashion forward. She is not a trend setter in the least but she always looks nice & appears comfortable with what she wears.

mag

I like Kate's coats but hate her shoes. Suede pumps are IMO just the dullest of shoes. The shoe equivalent of tofu.

I don’t mind the suede pumps, but I agree some variety would be nice. My guess is that particular style and brand are very comfortable and that is why she has them in so many colours. Now before someone says “but high heels!” For people who are used to them and have well fitting, well made shoes, they are actually not uncomfortable. I wore them for years. The trick is getting a last that fits your foot, and the correct width. Most people wear shoes that are too short and too wide.

canbelto

I don’t mind the suede pumps, but I agree some variety would be nice. My guess is that particular style and brand are very comfortable and that is why she has them in so many colours. Now before someone says “but high heels!” For people who are used to them and have well fitting, well made shoes, they are actually not uncomfortable. I wore them for years. The trick is getting a last that fits your foot, and the correct width. Most people wear shoes that are too short and too wide.

I think pumps in general are kind of boring. I do have them, but I tend to pick patent leather or regular leather for them. Suede pumps IMO look like grandma's "nice" shoes. I think Kate also has pretty big feet and all those beige suede pumps she has make her feet look smaller.

But IMO why would you pair a cute pink outfit with these. On the other hand look how her silvery glittery pumps sort of dress up a plain black suit.

mag

But IMO why would you pair a cute pink outfit with these.
Her pumps are the "over the boot tights" of the fashion world.

Kate has a longer body /shorter legs proportionally speaking. I suspect the nude pumps, like over the boot tights, are to make her legs look longer. I don’t think it works and it always makes me think of Linda Evans when she played Crystal on Dynasty. I completely agree with your assessment of the pink garden party dress. If ever an outfit called for colour matching footwear, that was it. I used to love how Diana had her shoes dyed to match her outfit. Those suede pumps, IMHO, ruined a fabulous outfit.

At least Kate wears shoes that fit. I can’t stand sloppy looking footwear or toes hanging over the front of open toed shoes. Yuck.

Jenny

From the Bloc
I don't care if Kate's a trend setter, I still want (almost) all of her coats :D (Especially the dark red one she wore for Christmas one year, I believe, and the dark green one).

I think Kate has made careful choices that say a lot about her, and have had influence in a subtler way that making Best Dressed lists. Her wedding dress was a great example - nothing groundbreaking, but entirely elegant, timeless, and regal. Knowing that their wedding portrait would take its place in the country's long history for centuries to come, it was a great choice IMO.

canbelto

Her pumps are the "over the boot tights" of the fashion world.
Kate has a longer body /shorter legs proportionally speaking. I suspect the nude pumps, like over the boot tights, are to make her legs look longer. I don’t think it works and it always makes me think of Linda Evans when she played Crystal on Dynasty. I completely agree with your assessment of the pink garden party dress. If ever an outfit called for colour matching footwear, that was it. I used to love how Diana had her shoes dyed to match her outfit. Those suede pumps, IMHO, ruined a fabulous outfit.

Yeah you can really see the proportions when she wears shorts like she is here. However I don't think the "over the boots" tights look works on her because it tends to muddy the silhouette. Like "just don't look at the legs." I do think the skinny jeans/black booties look she also favors does a better job with the proportions.

But as a big shoe-holic who loves shoes in all different colors I always think colorful footwear enhances the outfit.

Wyliefan

Ubering juniors against my will
Every time someone mentions dyed shoes, I remember the time I was in a wedding and all of us bridesmaids had to have our shoes dyed to match our dresses. The morning of the wedding, we had pictures taken on a wet lawn. The dye ran and every shoe ended up two-toned with a line around the middle. :lol:

But I'm sure the royal family has better dyers than we did!

Kruss

Not Auto-Tuned
Every time someone mentions dyed shoes, I remember the time I was in a wedding and all of us bridesmaids had to have our shoes dyed to match our dresses. The morning of the wedding, we had pictures taken on a wet lawn. The dye ran and every shoe ended up two-toned with a line around the middle. :lol:

But I'm sure the royal family has better dyers than we did!

Complete thread drift, my apologies, but this reminds me of my aunt's wedding in 1970. Orange dresses on the bridal party and the reception hall had an orange curtain that we all posed for our formal pictures before. All our faces were green in the photos!

mag

Interesting article on Queen Victoria. I visited the fashion display at Kensington Palace a few years back and a few of her dresses were on display. I knew she was small, but wow, her dresses were very small!

mag

I don’t know if I can link to Instagram stories, but if you have access to the Kensington Royal insta story it is well worth taking a look. It is a bunch of the photos that have been submitted to Kate’s Hold Still project. They brought tears to my eyes. Such a fabulous way to keep the memory of these times alive for future generations.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information