Royalty Thread#12 Tiaras, Palaces & Gilded Cages

Status
Not open for further replies.

myhoneyhoney

Did anyone watch the Spanish Princess?

At one point, the King's mother is having a flashback to giving birth to her son (Henry VIII's father) and she was being tossed with a canvas sheet held by a bunch of nurses. They are shaking it out like you would if you pulled it out of the dryer, except a laboring woman is on it. Was that an actual method of assisting labor?

I think it's called "tossing".

canbelto

There is no such thing.

queens in the old days had to undergo hymen checks and during the wedding night the bloody sheets were hung out the window to announce that the cherry had been popped.

aftershocks

Banned Member
I thought I'd fallen into a time warp and landed back in the '80s last weekend. I was at the supermarket and noticed that the Australian Women's Weekly had Diana, Princess of Wales on the front cover. I can only assume she still sells magazines!

It's Diana with 3 or 4 year old Prince Harry. The article is about adult Harry 'honoring his mother's legacy.' I do understand your 'time warp' inference though.

I wonder if she encouraged Meghan not to follow her example. Honestly I was surprised that there was so much criticism H&M had to endure since Archie is so far down the list from the crown. It was like H&M "owed" the paperrazi a glimpse of the baby.

Of course Kate didn't have anything to do with the Sussexes' birth plans and the choice not to appear on the steps of a hospital hours after giving birth. That was a choice decided early on by Meghan and Harry, and maybe also Meghan's doctors were consulted. There was speculation that M&H may have been planning to try and give birth at home, but that was never confirmed. If so, obviously the hospital they chose was always a back-up plan. After the way the media was dragging and trashing Meghan throughout her pregnancy (which could have endangered her health and the well-being of her unborn child), why by any stretch of the imagination does anyone think the media deserved anything from this couple pertaining to their baby's birth!? :duh:

I'm not questioning you @taf2002, since you obviously are in agreement that M&H owed the media nothing. Neither did the media need to know anything at all about Archie's godparents. The only reason royal reporters and tabloids demanded to know the names is so they could write for days about every single godparent and get all up in their business ad infinitum. The godparents are not public figures and they deserve their privacy.

BTW, I have no problem guessing who the godparents are: On Harry's side, it's likely Charlie van Straubenzee (a dear friend), Mark Dyer (Harry's mentor and second Dad), and Tiggy Legge-Bourke (former nanny whose current married name is Pettifer); On Meghan's side, it's probably Genevieve Hillis (a dear college friend), Markus Anderson (a very close friend who is like a brother), and Benita Litt (a long time friend from LA whose daughters were in M&H's wedding party).

Although Meghan is very close to Jessica Mulroney, Jessica was raised Jewish and I believe all godparents for an Anglican, Church of England baptism must be Protestant or Catholic. Another college friend, Lindsay Roth, is also Jewish. Serena Williams is a Jehovah's Witness; Misha Nonoo is Jewish (born in Bahrain of an English mother and a Bahrainian father). Meghan is also very close to fellow actors, Janina Gavankar and Abigail Spencer (I'm not certain of their religious affiliations, but Gavankar's parents emigrated to Illinois from India. Gavankar's ancestry is 75% East Indian and 25% Dutch; Spencer was born in Florida and has said she is part Cherokee. Her father, Yancy Spencer III, was a famous surfer). Violet von Westenholz who is a friend of both Meghan and Harry, and is speculated to have likely played a role in hooking them up is a possibility. If Violet wasn't chosen as a godparent for Archie, perhaps she will be for a second Sussex baby (who hopefully might be a girl).

This People TV show, back from hiatus, dishes a few details. I always take these types of shows with a grain of salt, but there's probably some truth and obviously a lot of editorializing. That corgi doggy is so cute. The host is pretty but overly arch and gushy. It's still kind of a fun 'royal news' show:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bgt-GTm2KWo Recap of 'why they walked away'

A bit of info on actual historic royal traditions surrounding baby births:

Last edited:

aftershocks

Banned Member
... Also in all three pictures she is artfully hiding her baby bump by holding the baby directly over the bump.

Now come on, Kate was not attempting to "artfully hide her baby bump." :rolleyes:

Didnt Diana have to undergo a virginity test?

It was well known that Diana was still a virgin at age 19. Plus her maternal grandmother, Baroness Ruth Fermoy, vouched for Diana's 'purity,' and plotted the Diana/Charles matchmaking with her employer and friend, the Queen Mother (Elizabeth Bowes-Lyon).

ETA:
I think it's called "tossing".

:eek: Wowza! Like a pizza?! :scream:

I guess I shouldn't be surprised though about all those death-inducing medical practices from the past. It was only during the Civil War (after the deaths of amputees who were on their way to recovery before sepsis killed them), that medical doctors finally heeded the warning regarding surgical instruments and doctors' hands needing to be sterilized to help prevent infection outbreaks in patients.

Last edited:
queens in the old days had to undergo hymen checks and during the wedding night the bloody sheets were hung out the window to announce that the cherry had been popped.

Thankfully we have much better gynaecological knowledge now and know that neither of those things indicate whether someone has participated in sexual activity.

There is no virginity test.

MsZem

I see the sea
The emperor's birthday celebrations have been cancelled:

Thankfully we have much better gynaecological knowledge now and know that neither of those things indicate whether someone has participated in sexual activity.

There is no virginity test.
I strongly suspect that what canbelto described is based on fiction more than on any historical record.

canbelto

I strongly suspect that what canbelto described is based on fiction more than on any historical record.

No virginity tests are still done today.

And inspection of the sheets was done:

MsZem

I see the sea
No virginity tests are still done today.

And inspection of the sheets was done:

Here's what you wrote:
There is nothing like this in either of the links you posted. Did you get the idea from watching TV?

attyfan

Actually, there is evidence that bloody sheets were not hung out (at least not in in 16th century England). After all, if the sheets were hung out, wouldn't the issue of whether Katherine of Aragon's first marriage (to Arthur, Prince of Wales) was consummated or not have been settled by someone describing the condition of the sheets?

smurfy

My mother was naive to say the least (Irish Catholic American - married at age 20).
She had told me I could not use tampons until I was married.
When I was 14, my older sister (7 years older) gave me some tampons when she found out I was not using them when she was home from college for Christmas. She sent me to the bathroom yelling instructions on how to use. She left some for me and I showed them to my mom to buy me some.
Her comment was 'Oh it must be all the gymnastics you did.'
This thread made me want to share this with you all.

Judy

The only reason they wanted a “virgin” was that there would be no history and someone airing dirty laundry. I doubt Fergie was a virgin. Bottom line - times have changed dramatically.

smurfy

The only reason they wanted a “virgin” was that there would be no history and someone airing dirty laundry. I doubt Fergie was a virgin. Bottom line - times have changed dramatically.

I remember that Fergie had either lived with a guy or they knew she was not a virgin. It was discussed.
When I first read that William was living with Kate and it seemed a nonissue - things have really changed.

canbelto

My mother was naive to say the least (Irish Catholic American - married at age 20).
She had told me I could not use tampons until I was married.
When I was 14, my older sister (7 years older) gave me some tampons when she found out I was not using them when she was home from college for Christmas. She sent me to the bathroom yelling instructions on how to use. She left some for me and I showed them to my mom to buy me some.
Her comment was 'Oh it must be all the gymnastics you did.'
This thread made me want to share this with you all.

I've actually taught in schools where teen pregnancy rates are through the roof BUT girls will still say their moms don't "allow" them to use tampons because it's "unladylike."

Judy

I remember that Fergie had either lived with a guy or they knew she was not a virgin. It was discussed.
When I first read that William was living with Kate and it seemed a nonissue - things have really changed.

Yes absolutely .. and honestly good for Fergie at the time.

Lacey

Isn't that where I first heard a new use of the word "issue," that is, no one wanted there to be even a possibility that any woman in question whenever someone had a (sexual) relationship might have birthed a hidden child, the" issue" and then tried to carry on as a usual assumed virgin with literally no strings.

canbelto

Hymen restitching is still very popular among certain cultures. It's one of the most requested medical procedures.

taf2002

Fluff up your tutu & dance away.....

aftershocks

Banned Member
@aftershocks, hands, doctor's or otherwise, cannot be sterilized. Unless you're willing to plunge them in boiling water. I recommend sterile gloves. :lol:

Sure, but sterile gloves came later. The biggest thing of importance is to sterilize the instruments and thoroughly wash hands. Even with sterile gloves, doctors and nurses thoroughly scrub their hands. What this has to do with gilded cages is a mystery. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information