Royalty Thread#12 Tiaras, Palaces & Gilded Cages

Status
Not open for further replies.

taf2002

Fluff up your tutu & dance away.....
This article is from House Beautiful, a US magazine so I don't know if they know what they are talking about. But it says that showing baby Prince George after the birth was a terrifying experience. She had no idea the crowd would be so big. I wonder if she encouraged Meghan not to follow her example. Honestly I was surprised that there was so much criticism H&M had to endure since Archie is so far down the list from the crown. It was like H&M "owed" the paperrazi a glimpse of the baby.

Judy

This article is from House Beautiful, a US magazine so I don't know if they know what they are talking about. But it says that showing baby Prince George after the birth was a terrifying experience. She had no idea the crowd would be so big. I wonder if she encouraged Meghan not to follow her example. Honestly I was surprised that there was so much criticism H&M had to endure since Archie is so far down the list from the crown. It was like H&M "owed" the paperrazi a glimpse of the baby.

I don’t blame Kate especially after giving birth. I don’t blame H&M either.

Harry is Diana’s son = media.

mag

I am waiting to listen to the complete podcast. The summary I read had a different take on it. I will be very interested to hear what Kate actually says.

taf2002

I am waiting to listen to the complete podcast. The summary I read had a different take on it. I will be very interested to hear what Kate actually says.

I believe the podcast is about the importance of the early years. But I didn't think that the article I linked had anything controversial or up for different interpretations. It seemed matter of fact to me: Kate found the crowd a bit terrifying & both Kate & William as new parents had the typical nerves. What is your take?

Bunny Hop

Queen of the Workaround
I thought I'd fallen into a time warp and landed back in the '80s last weekend. I was at the supermarket and noticed that the Australian Women's Weekly had Diana, Princess of Wales on the front cover. I can only assume she still sells magazines!

Judy

I thought I'd fallen into a time warp and landed back in the '80s last weekend. I was at the supermarket and noticed that the Australian Women's Weekly had Diana, Princess of Wales on the front cover. I can only assume she still sells magazines!

There is still a lot of documentaries about her on Netflix/Amazon Prime at least in Canada.

liv

OK, so now there's another royal divorce. Princess Margaret's son has announced he's divorcing his wife Serena after 26 years... My goodness. I know the UK has suffered some bad flooding these days from storms, but it seems like the floodgates have opened for Royal marriage breakups as well!

taf2002

There was a little segment on the news just now repeating the info that was in that House Beautiful article except it had some quotes from Kate & lots of pictures. They showed Kate on the steps of the hospital after George's birth & she was saying how terrifying the experience was even though she was more than ready to get out of the hospital. They also showed the kids playing in the little garden that Kate created & it was so adorable, much more than the still photos were.

clairecloutier

Well I found this article about a royal rule: that boys under age 8 must wear shorts at all times:

I’m sorry but this is the dumbest tradition ever IMO. I’ve always winced when seeing pictures of George in shorts in unpleasant weather. Also kind of disappointing to see the royals perpetuating these class stereotypes for no real reason.

Maybe this is why Harry & Meagan left! So Archie could wear pants! :lol:

MsZem

I see the sea
Well I found this article about a royal rule: that boys under age 8 must wear shorts at all times:
Quick, someone alert Will and Kate that they've gotten George into trousers too early!

Someone also forgot to tell Edward and Sophie:

ETA: and look who else broke the rules:

Last edited:

mjb52

I’m sorry but this is the dumbest tradition ever IMO. I’ve always winced when seeing pictures of George in shorts in unpleasant weather. Also kind of disappointing to see the royals perpetuating these class stereotypes for no real reason.

Pants means something else in British...:)

canbelto

im shocked at the articles that say that it’s “suburban” for boys to wear pants so they have to wear shorts. What an ugly classist comment.

Barbara Manatee

Supposedly a big reason that Kate and William dress the kids in those old-fashioned outfits for public events is so people are less likely to recognize them when they are out and about in their normal clothes like jeans and tshirts.

canbelto

Like ... what happens if you wear pants/trousers though? Does the Queen call you in for a meeting about your mistake? Do people at the polo event look down at you and call you "suburban"? Does the royal rota snark on you? This is a rule where I don't understand why it's such a stringent rule.

MsZem

I see the sea
Like ... what happens if you wear pants/trousers though? Does the Queen call you in for a meeting about your mistake?
The queen watches you fondly while you stir a Christmas pudding. One of the links from my previous post includes pictures taken that day ;)

Also - for those who missed it, Prince George also wears trousers in the Kensington Royal profile picture.

Last edited:

Barbara Manatee

Like ... what happens if you wear pants/trousers though?
Nothing happens because it isn't a rule, as shown by the photos @Zemgirl posted. None of this stuff that gets written up in papers or on social media are rules. Except under very special circumstances - there are strict protocols for how to and when to wear royal orders , for example - the royals are simply expected to dress appropriately for whatever it is they are doing.

mag

So I am still not anywhere where the wifi is good enough to listen to a podcast, but the bit where Kate talk about George’s birth is quoted here:

“ Ms. Fletcher asks Kate about the experience of introducing Prince George to the world on the steps of the Lindo Wing. The Duchess said that it was “”slightly terrifying, slightly terrifying, I’m not going to lie.”

“ Everyone had been so supportive and both William and I were really conscious that this was something that everyone was excited about and you know we’re hugely grateful for the support that the public had shown us, and actually for us to be able to share that joy and appreciation with the public, I felt was really important. But equally it was coupled with a new-born baby, and inexperienced parents, and the uncertainty of what that held, so there were all sorts of mixed emotions.”

So it sounds to me as if Kate was saying that yes, it was “slightly terrifying” but she wanted to do it because she realized how important it was to do. Because the public had been so supportive of them. There is an expression “Everything you have ever wanted is on the other side of fear.”

That is the difference between Kate and all of us who don’t want to be royal, between Trusova and many other skaters. Fear in and of itself doesn’t stop them. It doesn’t keep them from achieving their goals. Stepping out after George was born, while “slightly terrifying” has helped Kate achieve what she wants to achieve. If anything is inspirational, that statement from Kate, IMHO, truly is.

aftershocks

Banned Member
I give credit to the Royal family for making huge changes.

Their changes actually haven't been that huge. And the changes were frankly forced as real world realities and the complexities of modern life have continually intruded upon the so-called 'magic' of the British monarchy. It was never that much 'magic' involved anyway if you actually look at the truth of the monarchy's history.

Another divorce in the royal family is being reported:

It's curious how everything is unraveling for the Windsors...

Last edited:

canbelto

I’m rolling my eyes so hard at all the plaudits for Kate’s podcast. She never mentions that unlike other new mothers she has round the clock help, a live-in nanny, never has to worry about medical care, and has all the resources to ensure that her kids have an upbringing where they don’t want for anything. How can she possibly relate to other new mothers?

aftershocks

Banned Member
The queen watches you fondly while you stir a Christmas pudding. One of the links from my previous post includes pictures taken that day ;)

Also - for those who missed it, Prince George also wears trousers in the Kensington Royal profile picture.

:lol: They just decided to get George out of the shorts in public much sooner. It was becoming old hat, and being talked about as being old-fashioned and stuffy. I kinda enjoyed seeing Prince George in shorts, even with those Windsor knock-knees of his. But George looks very cool and stylish in trousers too. ;)

MsZem

I see the sea
I’m rolling my eyes so hard at all the plaudits for Kate’s podcast. She never mentions that unlike other new mothers she has round the clock help, a live-in nanny, never has to worry about medical care, and has all the resources to ensure that her kids have an upbringing where they don’t want for anything. How can she possibly relate to other new mothers?
Not this again...

Some challenges and joys are common to all, or at least most, new mothers, while others are more specific and unique. There's plenty in Kate's experience that can enable her to relate to other parents. All the help and resources in the world don't stop you from sometimes feeling stressed, or tired, or unsure if you're doing the right thing. Regardless of the financial position one is in, you want to do what's best for your kids and hope to give them a good life.

Would it be better if Kate said that motherhood is super-easy for her and she can't be bothered finding common ground with other mums?

Last edited:

Judy

Their changes actually haven't been that huge. And the changes were frankly forced as real world realities and the complexities of modern life have continually intruded upon the so-called 'magic' of the British monarchy. It was never that much 'magic' involved anyway if you actually look at the truth of the monarchy's history.

Another divorce in the royal family is being reported:

It's curious how everything is unraveling for the Windsors...

It was huge for them though. Yes of course it is reality. Simple things for us. Not back then though for them. Back then then Harry would never have been allowed to marry Meghan. Divorced, mixed race etc.

aftershocks

Banned Member
So I am still not anywhere where the wifi is good enough to listen to a podcast, but the bit where Kate talk about George’s birth is quoted here:

“ Ms. Fletcher asks Kate about the experience of introducing Prince George to the world on the steps of the Lindo Wing. The Duchess said that it was “”slightly terrifying, slightly terrifying, I’m not going to lie.”

“ Everyone had been so supportive and both William and I were really conscious that this was something that everyone was excited about and you know we’re hugely grateful for the support that the public had shown us, and actually for us to be able to share that joy and appreciation with the public, I felt was really important. But equally it was coupled with a new-born baby, and inexperienced parents, and the uncertainty of what that held, so there were all sorts of mixed emotions.”

So it sounds to me as if Kate was saying that yes, it was “slightly terrifying” but she wanted to do it because she realized how important it was to do. Because the public had been so supportive of them. There is an expression “Everything you have ever wanted is on the other side of fear.”

That is the difference between Kate and all of us who don’t want to be royal, between Trusova and many other skaters. Fear in and of itself doesn’t stop them. It doesn’t keep them from achieving their goals. Stepping out after George was born, while “slightly terrifying” has helped Kate achieve what she wants to achieve. If anything is inspirational, that statement from Kate, IMHO, truly is.

:blah:
Oh boy. There was no need for Kate to even go into this explanation. Seriously? It sounds like a lot of blather in an attempt to explain away this circus-like, so-called 'tradition':

Why not simply be honest and say, "It was expected of us, and we didn't want to disappoint the crowd who had gathered, even though there may be a less overwhelming way of doing this. I understand that my mother-in-law wasn't that comfortable with this hospital steps ritual either, so soon after giving birth."

Come on, mag. Kate stepping out on those hospital steps, although it was surely unsettling and in her words, 'terrifying,' is just something Kate never thought about straying away from doing. It was expected of her, and I don't blame her for going along with what was expected. I expected it too because I was accustomed to seeing it done that way. No one had yet proven that there's a better way to do this that can still give the public what it wants, if not exactly give all the world's media, paps, and tabloids what they covet. There's no earthly reason for all those royal followers to camp out for days and nights on the street outside the hospital. Please! And the media hoards are just leeches!

The kicker is that the Sussexes have already shown (and they've been cruelly slammed for showing) a better way of doing this 'royal baby reveal,' that saves security costs, and avoids inconveniencing hospital staff and other patients. Not to mention avoiding inconveniencing the new, inexperienced parents who deserve a bit of time to themselves to decompress and enjoy their newborn. Two days to themselves coupled with an in-person announcement hours after the birth by the happy Dad in a more comfortable setting, surely isn't too much to ask. Oh, but we can't disappoint the media hoards or hurt the bottom-line income of royal reporters, now can we? :duh:

Last edited:

aftershocks

Banned Member
It was huge for them though. Yes of course it is reality. Simple things for us. Not back then though for them. Back then then Harry would never have been allowed to marry Meghan. Divorced, mixed race etc.

I don't think we should be applauding the royal family for getting up off of being racist, upper-class snobs though. Can we also stop excusing racism because 'it happened back then' when racism was so in-your-face, common, completely approved and legislated. :rolleyes:

As it turns out, Meghan, as a WOC who enjoys working hard and giving back to others in results-oriented ways, has ended up exposing the racism and snobby, superior attitudes that continue to exist not only among the royals, but also throughout the British culture, and of course globally.

canbelto

Not this again...

Some challenges and joys are common to all, or at least most, new mothers, while others are more specific and unique. There's plenty in Kate's experience that can enable her to relate to other parents. All the help and resources in the world don't stop you from sometimes feeling stressed, or tired, or unsure if you're doing the right thing. Regardless of the financial position one is in, you want to do what's best for your kids and hope to give them a good life.

Would it be better if Kate said that motherhood is super-easy for her and she can't be bothered finding common ground with other mums?

It would have been better for her not to give this podcast at all. As it is IMO she sounds so out of touch. Does she even know that most mothers have to do everything she does but with no help, no nannies, no financial security, no paid maternity leave, often no father? That they might get at most six weeks at home with their newborn before they have to go back to work or risk losing their job? That most mothers I know at work pump milk during lunchtime so when they get home they can save some time with the feeding?

Motherhood is an economic problem. The cold hard fact is society hasn't found a way to support mothers economically so they can be the most effective mothers possible. In the U.S. there isn't even paid maternity leave in many jobs. Take away the economic factor and most childcare issues go away.

MsZem

I see the sea
It would have been better for her not to give this podcast at all. As it is IMO she sounds so out of touch. Does she even know that most mothers have to do everything she does but with no help, no nannies, no financial security, no paid maternity leave, often no father? That they might get at most six weeks at home with their newborn before they have to go back to work or risk losing their job? That most mothers I know at work pump milk during lunchtime so when they get home they can save some time with the feeding?
No. Kate has no idea how anyone else lives. Clearly she's never met or spoken to any actual people. She emerged fully ready to be a royal on the morning of April 29, 2011 and had no other experiences before or since.

Motherhood is an economic problem. The cold hard fact is society hasn't found a way to support mothers economically so they can be the most effective mothers possible. In the U.S. there isn't even paid maternity leave in many jobs. Take away the economic factor and most childcare issues go away.
Motherhood is not a problem. Some mothers have economic challenges, others have physical challenges, or health challenges, or lack a support system, or have a child who gets sick or has special needs. Some have to deal with multiple challenges. Kate has her own set of challenges raising children in the most public way possible. I imagine she worries a lot about how to do so and still give them a normal childhood and an appreciation of their good fortune and responsibility towards others.

Kate is not responsible for the lack of maternity leave in the US. Her focus in on helping families in the UK and elsewhere give children a good foundation in the early years. She's using her privilege to support and empower others. Good for her.

It would be better for you not to post if you can't do so like a reasonable person.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information