Ross Miner Out Of Olympic Team (OFFICIAL)

caseyedwards

Ummm, it's the WEIGHTING that I'm complaining about. Feel free to hand out a long list of events and tell me you have this great BOW process. I interpret it more like "we have all this data out there we can pull from to justify sending who we like".

Nationals is a Tier 1 event, apparently, but 'Tier 1' doesn't seem to have much point because it's looked at as just one event of a long list.
Best to just list them all alphabetically and forget the Tier system because there doesn't seem to be one at play.
Yeah teir 1 doesn’t mean most weight! Like I said before the whole criteria is just a bunch of words which cover up that it’s whatever they want!

VGThuy

That period is over anyway! Why go to Asia and compete for money now?

Because people need money to live. Plus, going to Taiwan would be really fun. I'm not saying Ross needs it or anything, but just giving reasons why $8,000 is a good bit amount of money and having to go to Taiwan and compete while the fed pays traveling expenses doesn't seem too bad.

aftershocks

Banned Member
Not talking about this season, I loved it all:)
Throughout the years, I sometimes thought that a guy with such great skating skills could be a bit more edgy. But edgy or not, Ross's SS were always quality; and as for music, it is a personal perception that I'd have to reexamine to see if I still feel that way... And yes, I feel that many skaters can be more adventurous- and thus adore Nathan's SP.

It strikes me that Ross has a nice laid back, boy-next-door personality. He doesn't seem to be the edgy type. Although since I don't know him personally, he could have a certain unique quality to his personality that I'm not aware of. :) Probably for the most part, Ross grew up with his coaches suggesting music choices and costuming for him, until his recent maturity where he's seemed to become a bit more adventurous.

Costume selections are inhibited by costs too for something custom-made. Ross probably hasn't ventured into full-on custom made designs too often, if at all. But I could be wrong. There might be an affordable seamstress employed by a group of skaters at the Boston club, or else a close friend or family member helped out with sewing. He could have purchased some outfits ready-made off-the-rack too.

I just enjoy Ross' quirky style, and his feel for the music. ITA re loving his interesting transitions and choreo this season. Just when he's growing into who he is as a person and exploring something different, it's time to retire, because the sport has no opportunity for skaters to pursue professional possibilities. There aren't any. But maybe Ross will get invited to do some shows with SOI. I don't think many fans realize some of the injury struggles Ross (as well as many skaters) endure, which hampers their momentum and competitive results, not to mention their 'consistency.' And then they can end up being labeled and limited in fully developing their potential.

ETA: Both Ross, and Richard Dornbush were known to be very consistent well-rounded skaters when they first moved up to senior Nationals. Their entry into seniors unfortunately coincided with the must-have quad craze, which they suddenly had to master on a dime. And then that effort can wreak havoc with a skater's consistency, as we have certainly witnessed happen to a number of skaters.

Last edited:

MacMadame

Doing all the things
Above someone said he should go to get a jump on next season. That's actually a reason not to go. If he wants to get a jump on next season, then not going makes sense. He can take a short break, then jump back in to work on new programs while other people are still dealing with the Olympics and Worlds.

Not that I recommend this, per se. But continuing to compete your old programs is the opposite of getting a jump on next year.

aftershocks

Banned Member
... If he wants to get a jump on next season, then not going makes sense. He can take a short break, then jump back in to work on new programs...

^^ Ross announced this would be his last season before the start of the season. I do not see anything that has happened in recent weeks to change his mind about retiring, particularly in terms of training costs and diminishing returns.

AFAIK, Grant is retiring too, so he may not go to 4CCs either, unless he decides to attend this final event for monetary reasons. He and Caroline are planning to wed soon. If Grant does not accept 4CCs assignment, Timothy Dolensky is second alternate.

ETA: I suppose Grant will be going to 4CCs since the updated USFS press release officially announces he will replace Ross. If Grant had declined, they would have moved on to the second alternate.

Last edited:

aftershocks

Banned Member
If true, that's pretty amazing for someone who spoke about not having endorsements or billboards and had to work and train.

:huh: Exactly what do you mean? Do you have any idea of how much Ross has been paying annually to support his career? I don't know either, but I would bet lower level prize money at a few comps does not go that far annually for active skaters, particularly without corporate sponsors, endorsements, etc.

Maybe someone here has an idea of the breakdown of training & fitness, rink time, equipment, choreo, coaching, counseling, travel, costuming, music cutting, living expenses, etc., costs vs total prize money & USFS envelope funds.

Vagabond

Biggest reason to go is that a better season's best score could put him in line for non-host assignments to GP events.
Ross Miner announced quite some time ago that this would be his last season. He is very nearly twenty-seven. If I were he, I would want to go out on a high note. Short competing in the Olympics, having the two best skates of one's life is as good a way to go out as any.

aftershocks

Banned Member
I mean $8,000 isn't an amount to scoff at for working people like Ross, me, and most everybody else. This conversation ceased to be about Ross and more about one poster thinking $8000 isn't a lot of money.

Who's scoffing at $8,000? I simply asked what you meant by your post, which was unclear. You seem to be acting as if that amount is more than enough, while digging at Ross' comments about working to cover some of his training costs?? I'm wondering about the total amount of prize money and envelope money Ross and many skaters like him must budget vs the huge expense of keeping a skating career going.

LarrySK8

I am good with choosing Rippon over Miner. Rippon had this FS last year - and his PCS has been consistently about 87 points for it - even last year. That is much better than Miner usually gets internationally, and Adam has been consistent with 2 seasons with this. Also, Rippon does have a chance to land 4lutz.

VGThuy

Who's scoffing at $8,000? I simply asked what you meant by your post, which was unclear. You seem to be acting as if that amount is more than enough, while digging at Ross' comments about working to cover some of his training costs?? I'm wondering about the total amount of prize money and envelope money Ross and many skaters like him must budget vs the huge expense of keeping a skating career going.

Just scroll up. There was a poster being dismissive of it. My point bringing up Ross's expenses is that he's a working person so it's not like it was chump change for him. You're reading more into it than there is. That's it.

aftershocks

Banned Member
Just scroll up. There was a poster being dismissive of it. My point bringing up Ross's expenses is that he's a working person so it's not like it was chump change for him. You're reading more into it than there is. That's it.

Miscommunication then. I just don't understand exactly what you were getting at, as I've said based on your phrasing in the post I questioned. We still don't know Ross' annual financial expenses as a competitive skater vs his working salary, prize money and USFS envelope funds. So any reference to his financial situation rapped off dismissively is uncalled for.

MacMadame

Doing all the things
Plus, the top prize for first place is 20k. 8k is for 3rd. So he could win more.

Meoima

$8000 might not mean much compared to the amount of training, the toll of mentality and the body after the Olympic selection.

MsZem

I see the sea
Plus, the top prize for first place is 20k. 8k is for 3rd. So he could win more.
I think the poster in question was suggesting was that Miner would not have won more because he'd finish no higher than third. Which is a surprising argument from someone so vehemently in favor of sending Miner to the Olympics.

Wagner can make the case that as first alternate, she'd rather stay home and train in case she's needed on the Olympic team. With Miner I can totally understand him not being motivated at this point, or preferring to keep his final performance the Nationals one.

caseyedwards

I am good with choosing Rippon over Miner. Rippon had this FS last year - and his PCS has been consistently about 87 points for it - even last year. That is much better than Miner usually gets internationally, and Adam has been consistent with 2 seasons with this. Also, Rippon does have a chance to land 4lutz.

Rippon has no quads

I think the poster in question was suggesting was that Miner would not have won more because he'd finish no higher than third. Which is a surprising argument from someone so vehemently in favor of sending Miner to the Olympics.

Wagner can make the case that as first alternate, she'd rather stay home and train in case she's needed on the Olympic team. With Miner I can totally understand him not being motivated at this point, or preferring to keep his final performance the Nationals one.
Uno is going to be at 4cC! He’s also most likely to medal or win Olympics too. Then you have two time world bronze medalist Jin. I don’t say Miner is great. He beat another journeyman. Miner was not winning 4cc or anything.

becca

There is no guarantee of $8000. Plus I think Miner has had huge dissappointment maybe not in mindset to skatewell.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information