Richard Callaghan banned by the Center for SafeSport

5Ali3

Richard Callaghan has been found "Permanently Ineligible" by the Center for SafeSport (i.e., banned) for physical misconduct, emotional misconduct, and sexual misconduct involving a minor. He has five days to file notice of intent to appeal; that process would take a few more months.

It has been 20 years since Craig Maurizi formally reported Callaghan to U.S. Figure Skating and 20 months since Callaghan was reported to the Center for SafeSport.

overedge

Mayor of Carrot City
Wow. I honestly never thought this would happen, because of his high profile and his coaching successes. But good for SafeSport. Now USFS has some explaining to do, as to why it turned a blind eye to his behaviour for so long, and possibly put other skaters at risk by doing so.

@5Ali3 on the SafeSport website it looks like only the "sexual misconduct involving minor" decision can be appealed, as the "subject to appeal/not final" notification is only listed next to that one charge. Is that right?

Last edited:

MacMadame

Doing all the things
I think USFS will be fine with this because Callaghan is getting on in years and is close to retirement. I don't think he's coaching any of the USFS stars, either. (Could be wrong about that, but it's got to be a limited number if it's not 0.)

overedge

Mayor of Carrot City
I think USFS will be fine with this because Callaghan is getting on in years and is close to retirement. I don't think he's coaching any of the USFS stars, either. (Could be wrong about that, but it's got to be a limited number if it's not 0.)

They might be fine with him no longer being a coach, but the fact remains that his behaviour allegedly went on for two decades without them noticing or acting. That's not going to go away even if he does.

Tinami Amori

Richard Callaghan has been found "Permanently Ineligible" by the Center for SafeSport (i.e., banned) for physical misconduct, emotional misconduct, and sexual misconduct involving a minor. He has five days to file notice of intent to appeal; that process would take a few more months.
and can someone tell me please why such blunt and verified cases of "rape", "abuse" and a crime ("minors" issue is quite obvious) are classified as mildly as "misconduct", while cases which can be discussed in terms of "lousy seduction attempts between young skaters" are called "abuse" without questioning?

5Ali3

@5Ali3 on the SafeSport website it looks like only the "sexual misconduct involving minor" decision can be appealed, as the "subject to appeal/not final" notification is only listed next to that one charge. Is that right?

I believe all three can be appealed. The "subject to appeal" tag only ever appears on the top sanction, although this is the first one I recall seeing that includes physical, emotional, and sexual misconduct. Usually it's sexual misconduct+abuse of process if there are two, which is itself unusual.

They might be fine with him no longer being a coach, but the fact remains that his behaviour allegedly went on for two decades without them noticing or acting. That's not going to go away even if he does.

:lol::rofl::shuffle:

They noticed. They knew. Everyone knew about Callaghan's behavior. Everyone.

In the past 20 years, I have never - not once - heard anyone claim Callaghan hadn't engaged in sexual contact with multiple athletes, as well as some truly dreadful emotional abuse of multiple athletes.

U.S. Figure Skating still needs to defend why they didn't do anything, but don't spend energy on why they didn't know. They knew.

and can someone tell me please why such blunt and verified cases of "rape", "abuse" and a crime ("minors" issue is quite obvious) are classified as mildly as "misconduct", while cases which can be discussed in terms of "lousy seduction attempts between young skaters" are called "abuse" without questioning?

The U.S. Center for SafeSport only uses the term "misconduct;" they do not use the word "abuse." The basic possible categories of violation include sexual misconduct, physical misconduct, emotional misconduct, although there are a few other specific categories (none of which use the title "abuse"). Why "misconduct" rather than "abuse"? I don't know, but the Center is not formally calling one behavior "abuse" and another "misconduct."

Tinami Amori

The U.S. Center for SafeSport only uses the term "misconduct;" they do not use the word "abuse." The basic possible categories of violation include sexual misconduct, physical misconduct, emotional misconduct, although there are a few other specific categories (none of which use the title "abuse"). Why "misconduct" rather than "abuse"? I don't know, but the Center is not formally calling one behavior "abuse" and another "misconduct."
to me this is totally and utterly crazy! a middle-aged adult has two boys in his "control in an enclosed captive space" (a moving car, and his office with a closed door) makes them perform lewd sexual acts against their will, and it is called "misconduct" same as "butt pinching" or "verbal sexual proposition" between people in a relatively same age group?

That was "rape"..

VGThuy

Misconduct is the umbrella term Safesport adopted most likely because it's the broadest term that is most applicable to these situations. Other people are free to be more specific and call it abuse or go further after getting more details. All of that is still misconduct.

DreamSkates

Sad news. But, this is a "new day" for anyone, anywhere to speak up about abuse and those in charge will listen and take action.

overedge

Mayor of Carrot City
They noticed. They knew. Everyone knew about Callaghan's behavior. Everyone.

In the past 20 years, I have never - not once - heard anyone claim Callaghan hadn't engaged in sexual contact with multiple athletes, as well as some truly dreadful emotional abuse of multiple athletes.

U.S. Figure Skating still needs to defend why they didn't do anything, but don't spend energy on why they didn't know. They knew.

I'm sure they did. I meant "allegedly" in reference to the timeline around the events that generated the SafeSport complaints. We don't yet know what else might have happened before or after those events.

Prancer

Chitarrista
Staff member
it is called "misconduct" same as "butt pinching" or "verbal sexual proposition" between people in a relatively same age group?

Here we go with the butt pinching and sexual proposition between people in the same age group again.

What complaints are you referencing? If there are no complaints, what rules are you referencing? Be specific.

Artistic Skaters

Drawing Figures
Now USFS has some explaining to do, as to why it turned a blind eye to his behaviour for so long, and possibly put other skaters at risk by doing so.
PSA also ruled for Callaghan in the grievance that was filed with their organization. IIRC it was not due to filing too late like it was with the USFSA grievance, but due to "insufficient evidence".

tony

Throwing the (rule)book at them
Maurizi needs to be investigated now. I know it’s sad that he had to wait 20 years to get some kind of resolution for his own complaint, but I think there should be a full investigation into why he said the USFS approached him last year to try to keep quiet (and they have publicly said they did not) and still also why he was attempting to contact those involved (but not named by anyone) in the Coughlin case. That, and his wife calling victims mentally unstable.

Seems to me he tried to become the face of the figure skating ordeal after seeing the Nassar outcome, but I really think there is so much more behind this story that needs followed up.

skatfan

to me this is totally and utterly crazy! a middle-aged adult has two boys in his "control in an enclosed captive space" (a moving car, and his office with a closed door) makes them perform lewd sexual acts against their will, and it is called "misconduct" same as "butt pinching" or "verbal sexual proposition" between people in a relatively same age group?

That was "rape"..

We’re well aware of your issues regarding “Romeo and Juliet” situations- none of which apply here and you have thoroughly discussed in other multiple threads.

Japanfan

Misconduct is the umbrella term Safesport adopted most likely because it's the broadest term that is most applicable to these situations. Other people are free to be more specific and call it abuse or go further after getting more details. All of that is still misconduct.

True as that may be, 'misconduct' might be seen as diminishing and offensive to victims of rape and abuse.

Frau Muller

From Puerto Rico…With Love! Not LatinX!
IMO, it was more than ten or twenty years...

I heard about this misbehavior by Callahan from parents, as I sat in the stands watching Novice boys practices in 1982/1983 timeframe...a little boy in a cowboy outfit. Over 30 yrs ago.
This is also around the time that Wynne/Druar were first on the scene...although the “parents gossip” was not about that situation. It was more about little boys.

Last edited:

UGG

Yeah everyone knew about Callaghan. My coaches were from the Michigan area and in the early 2000's on the other side of the country, I was hearing not just whispers, but blatant confirmations that he was up to no good.

Did everyone really know though? Like I cannot imagine Tara’s mother knew and still let her train with him.

overedge

Mayor of Carrot City
Did everyone really know though? Like I cannot imagine Tara’s mother knew and still let her train with him.

I have no way of knowing if this was what happened with Tara's parents, but some ambitious parents will, unfortunately, overlook negative things about a coach's conduct if that coach has a record of producing medalists and champions. Parents might also think that they supervise their child closely enough that the coach won't be able to get away with anything, or that they and/or their child are strong enough personalities that the coach won't see them as potential victims.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information