Religious movie suggestions

skateycat

One of Nature's Non-Spinners
I'm trying to think of movies with a Native American religion as its theme that doesn't make me want to gouge my eyes out. So far I've got nothing other than three movies that portray spiritual practices around death that do a good job - Dead Man by Jim Jarmusch and Boy by Taika Waititi and Barking Waters by Sterlin Harjo.

Wait! Oh, see what you think of This May Be The Last Time by Sterlin Harjo. The story is about Muscogee (Creek) and Seminole hymns and the death of Sterlin's grandfather.

pat c

This is probably a hard movie to find - I heard the owl call my name. It's about a young priest sent to an indigenous village in BC.

emason

Available to rent on Amazon: Come to the Stable. 2 French nuns encounter difficulties when trying to build a children's hospital in New England. This is an old one, from 1949, starring Loretta Young and Celeste Holm and a personal favorite of mine.

millyskate

I recently watched "Clergy" - a Polish film available with subtitles on Netflix about the corruption of the catholic church. It can be a tough watch but very hard-hitting.

jadingirl

Thanks for all the help. I told my daughter about the faith and siprituality search so she did that and narrowed it down to 3 movies.
An Interview with God
Freshman Year
Risen

Again looking for something accessible ie. on a streaming service in Canada or in our library. I did put a request in to Netflix to add Little Buddha to Netflix so it would be nice if that happened anyways - we will see.

jadingirl

Some of the other movies you guys suggested they watched in class together so can't use them like Water and one about the Crusades with Orlando Bloom (don't remember the name).

eusebius

Someone has uploaded "Why has Bodhidharma left for the East?" with English subtitiles on Youtube. Link
This is a S. Korean film about three Korean Zen monks. I haven't seen it but I might watch it this weekend as it gets great reviews! IMDB

sk8pics

Risen is a fabulous movie. A friend had given it to me as a present and I didn't open it for a long time. But then a group of us watched it together one weekend we were all away at the beach and it was totally absorbing. I've watched it a couple of times since then.

jadingirl

Sorry to bump my own thread but just wanted to let people know that my daughter ended up watching Risen as her movie and really enjoyed it - now to write the report!

Also, they watched Little Buddha (my movie choice) in class - she fell asleep halfway through! She said "I thought you said Keanu Reeves was in this movie?" I said he played Buddha. All she remembers is Bridget Fonda reading the story to the son and then the music was so relaxing she decided to close her eyes for awhile. Next thing she remembers is the 3 children releasing doves at the end of the movie! :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information