Religious movie suggestions

Lorac

Dogma starring Matt Damon and Ben Affleck. The Catholic Church condemned the movie as being blasphemous, but I thought that only an extremely devout Catholic who understood the doctrines of Catholicism could have written a film like this one.

Great movie - I was going to suggest it but not sure how old the OP's kid is as an awful lot of swearing and violence.

taf2002

Fluff up your tutu & dance away.....
I mentioned this in another thread but The Hiding Place is an excellent film. It's mostly about the fate of a Netherlands family who got caught harboring Jews in their house during the early days of WW2.

Cachoo

The Ridley Scott film "The Kingdom of Heaven" deals with Muslims, Christians, Jerusalem, the Crusades....I thought it good and I enjoyed Orlando Bloom's performance.

MacMadame

Doing all the things
Life of Brian.
I was going to say this one! It's a comedy but it actually accurately captures the times where there were many people claiming to be the Messiah, not just Jesus.

ETA Dogma is also good but it's very intense and violent.

chantilly

I quite liked The Seventh Sign

it’s from the 90’s I think with Demi Moore.

also any of the choices above works

A.H.Black

Was just thinking about Jewish movies, like The Chosen, Exodus, or even Fiddler on the Roof.

I also thought about movies about Islam, but I'm not knowledgeable enough to reccommend any.

Vagabond

Here's one about Islam and Christianity: Ali and Nino, about love between a Shiite Azeri man and a Georgian Orthodox woman, set against the backdrop of World War I, the Russian Revolution, and civil wars in the Caucasus. Love, war, and religion: what more does a movie need for subject matter?

Yazmeen

All we are saying, is give peace a chance
Song of Bernadette (1943) - the whole movie is available on YouTube.
And going completely 180 in the other direction, Bill Maher's Religulous documentary

skatingfan5

Past Prancer's Corridor
Higher Ground (2011) starring Vera Farmiga about a woman's lifelong struggle with doubts about her evangelical faith. (R rated though, so maybe not depending on age)

fan

Was just thinking about Jewish movies, like The Chosen, Exodus, or even Fiddler on the Roof.

I also thought about movies about Islam, but I'm not knowledgeable enough to reccommend any.
Of the Jewish ones listed above, the chosen is probably best. Movies about the holocaust and founding of the state of Israel aren’t “Jewish”, though the majority of those who went through those events are

JJH

Zeffirelli's lavish 1972 film about St Francis of Assisi and St Clare "Brother Sun, Sister Moon" is available on Youtube for $2.99.

hanca

Values her privacy
Wouldn’t it be best to choose a film according to the religion she is actually interested in? There are some religions and faiths I am curious about and feel I want to know more about, and some that I don’t really care about and watching a film about those would probably be quite a chore for me. Most people have some basic knowledge about various religions, so maybe choose film about religion she feels close to, or religion she is naturally curious about.

hollygrove

Amar Akbar Anthony is an Indian oldie from the 1970s. Three brothers are adopted and raised as Hindu/Muslim/Christian by different families. Lively music and loads of plot lines. The theme is let's all of us (India) try to live in harmony. This was a hit back in its day. It's on Youtube.

If she would like something deeper, check out PK, another Indian film.

Last edited:

Japanfan

Black Robe, 1991, was an interesting film about a Jesuit missionary in Canada in the 17th century. But given that it is an older film and a Canadian film, it might be difficult to obtain.

Last edited:

MsZem

I see the sea
Of the Jewish ones listed above, the chosen is probably best. Movies about the holocaust and founding of the state of Israel aren’t “Jewish”, though the majority of those who went through those events are
Yes, thank you - that was the point I was trying to make earlier. Just because a movie focuses on Jewish people (or includes them as secondary characters) doesn't mean it has a religious theme.

Reactions: fan

paskatefan

The Cardinal - a 1960's movie about a priest who becomes a Cardinal. He deals with many issues - conflicts in his Catholic faith with social issues, romance, civil rights, Anti-Semitism (part of the setting of the movie is during the 1930's, but so much of what he experiences is still relevant today).

The Chosen - Orthodox Judaism vs. observant Judaism that is also connected to the secular world, reconciling & respecting both forms of Judaism

Last edited:

jadingirl

Wow thanks everyone
I mentioned Life of Brian to her
They watched Kingdom of Heaven in class the other day
Hopefully she’ll find one soon

Black Robe, 1991, was an interesting film about a Jesuit missionary in Canada in the 17th century. But given that it is older film and a Canadian film, it might be difficult to obtain.

This is such a good movie. It was available for free somewhere on the Internet a few years ago. I had to watch it for a class. It was either YouTube or maybe through the national film board website.

Vagabond

Black Robe has some extremely violent and unsettling scenes, so I'd be cautious about that one.

nlloyd

Movies/documentaries on LGBTQ+ community and religion:

The Falls (movie): "RJ and Chris are two teenage boys raised in Mormon communities. Though both are poster boys for their church with perfect academic records and pretty girlfriends, buried feelings soon rise to the surface when they are assigned to serve a mission together as part of their rite of passage."

Trembling Before G-D (documentary): "An unprecedented feature documentary that shatters assumptions about faith, sexuality, and religious fundamentalism. Built around intimately-told personal stories of Hasidic and Orthodox Jews who are gay or lesbian, the film portrays a group of people who face a profound dilemma -- how to reconcile their passionate love of Judaism and the Divine with the drastic Biblical prohibitions that forbid homosexuality."

Fire (Deepa Metha movie): "Sita and Radha are young Indian women whose husbands choose celibacy or mistresses over their wives. This leads them to form an intimate, passionate relationship amidst a close-minded society."

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information