Really, part deux

Gerry

Hi Everyone. Sorry I haven't posted in a few weeks.

Lee continues to be stable; we had some discouraging news at her last CT, and it looks like she will need another surgery to fix a few things, but the docs don't think that it is anything urgent, so we have decided to let her have a break to heal for a while, before we re-visit things.

As you noticed, PatC came to visit her; that was nice of her and Lee really appreciated seeing a new face. Lee isn't really talking much, yet - she is still awfully weak, and still sleeps a lot, so she isn't great company, but in the short intervals where she is wide awake, she is fully engaged, coherent, and does well. She is still awfully quiet - which is unlike her - which makes it hard to hear what she has to say, but her sense of humour works fine.

She had a really good conversation with our son and his daughter the other day, which made their day, and her sister comes by every few days to touch base and Lee has really appreciated that.

The last few days have been 'down' days... she has been sleeping a ton, and doesn't interact much - but I've seen this show before, and I'm just waiting it out. Her vitals continue to improve, she has gained a few pounds, and she is comfortable, so we will just watch closely and let her sleep.

Once we hear from her surgeon about what he is going to do and when he wants to do it, things will change again (back to the big city), but until then, we rest. Sooner or later, she will wake up and the peace/quiet will end, so I'm not going to rock this boat much right now.

Thank you for your continued thoughts and support; it has been nice for me to be at home, and nice for her, as her friends from work have been able to stop by to visit. We are nowhere near the end of this adventure, but the journey continues, and that's something to be thankful for.

Today is Canada Day; 150 years since Confederation, and this country has a lot to be proud of, and thankful for. Our acreage backs onto a recreation area, where the fireworks happen every July 1st, and although Lee won't be watching them with me this year, I'll sit on the back deck with a glass of wine, watch the pyrotechnics, and salute the medical staff, friends, assorted miracles, and deep strength that brought Lee and I to this place, on Day 221 of our voyage.

Salut!

CanadaDay_webslider.jpg

Simone411

To Boldly Explore Figure Skating Around The World
Thank you so much for sharing. @Gerry, I admire you and Lee so much. I admire the strength you both possess, and I know that God has given you both that strength to endure; the determination to not give up because that's exactly what it takes. Happy Canada Day to both of you. <3

Spun Silver

Gerry, Happy Canada Day, a little late. I'm so glad you are both getting a bit of summer peace and fun (as it were). Sorry to hear that more surgery lies ahead but here's hoping and praying you are both building up the strength to get through yet another challenge. God bless!

skatesindreams

Thank you so much for sharing. @Gerry, I admire you and Lee so much. I admire the strength you both possess, and I know that God has given you both that strength to endure; the determination to not give up because that's exactly what it takes
As someone who has experienced surgeries; with long-term rehabilitation attached, I second this.

Sending support and strength to both of you, as you prepare for the next steps in the healing process; with a special toast:
:40beers::40beers::40beers:

pat c

Bumping this so it's easier to find:

Cards_4_Lee
Bentley School
Box 299, 5314 - 49 Street
Bentley, Alberta,
T0C 0J0

I'll keep this one on for the time being, but use the Bentley address.
The staff at Neuro-recovery, Unit 4G3
University of Alberta Hospital, 8440-112 Street NW,
Edmonton Alberta
T6G 2B7

LilJen

Reaching out with my hand sensitively
Thanks for keeping us in the loop, Gerry. Sounds like the slow-and-steady turtle approach is going well, but I can't imagine how impatient you both must be at times for Lee to just be completely healed already!! Sending you thoughts and prayers for continued healing, patience, endurance, and strength.

Gerry

Bumping this so it's easier to find:

Cards_4_Lee
Bentley School
Box 299, 5314 - 49 Street
Bentley, Alberta,
T0C 0J0

I'll keep this one on for the time being, but use the Bentley address.
The staff at Neuro-recovery, Unit 4G3
University of Alberta Hospital, 8440-112 Street NW,
Edmonton Alberta
T6G 2B7

Can we add The staff at:
Rimbey Hospital Acute Care Center,
5228 - 50 Avenue,
Rimbey, AB
T0C 2J0

The nurses here just love Lee, and take really good care of her. (And put up with me hovering around)

I am so awed by the people who think of, pray for, and care ABOUT Lee (that would be you guys) and by the people who care FOR her, day in and day out.

'Thanks' just doesn't seem enough.

Gerry

Happy Independence Day to all of our American friends... the world would be a poorer place without you. Be safe, but exuberant, as you go forth to light up the darkness tonight. Now go blow some stuff up! :D

Just to give you an idea of our roller-coaster ride, I told you the other day that Lee was very quiet, and resting. That was Sunday.

Monday afternoon, she woke up a bit... spoke quite clearly and seemed very alert, so I loaded her into a wheelchair and headed outside. I stopped to grab a coffee on the way out, and asked if she would like a bit of water (we've been working on swallowing), but she said 'iced tea', so we headed down to the pop machine. It didn't have iced tea, but she read the selections and then declared 'Dr. Pepper'.

I told her that she didn't like Dr. Pepper. She told me I was wrong. So i dutifully bought her a Dr. Pepper and grabbed a few cups from the nursing station, and out we went, into the sun.

She sat there in the sun and drank - with no help from me - about 4 Oz of pop. We went inside and she told her nurse what she had done, and the party was on.

Today, she is alert, moving her legs and arms well, we've been outside and back... life is good. On top of all that, her surgeon called back and said no surgery for at least the immediate future, as he thinks the issue just might solve itself.

We had our fireworks here the other night; I videotaped them to show Lee. I think tonight I might go look at them again, to celebrate with my American friends. I hope the cat doesn't mind... he disappeared under the motor home for 6 hours the first time!

Thanks for keeping her in your thoughts. I think it's working!

barbarafan

Happy Independence Day to all of our American friends... the world would be a poorer place without you. Be safe, but exuberant, as you go forth to light up the darkness tonight. Now go blow some stuff up! :D

Just to give you an idea of our roller-coaster ride, I told you the other day that Lee was very quiet, and resting. That was Sunday.

Monday afternoon, she woke up a bit... spoke quite clearly and seemed very alert, so I loaded her into a wheelchair and headed outside. I stopped to grab a coffee on the way out, and asked if she would like a bit of water (we've been working on swallowing), but she said 'iced tea', so we headed down to the pop machine. It didn't have iced tea, but she read the selections and then declared 'Dr. Pepper'.

I told her that she didn't like Dr. Pepper. She told me I was wrong. So i dutifully bought her a Dr. Pepper and grabbed a few cups from the nursing station, and out we went, into the sun.

She sat there in the sun and drank - with no help from me - about 4 Oz of pop. We went inside and she told her nurse what she had done, and the party was on.

Today, she is alert, moving her legs and arms well, we've been outside and back... life is good. On top of all that, her surgeon called back and said no surgery for at least the immediate future, as he thinks the issue just might solve itself.

We had our fireworks here the other night; I videotaped them to show Lee. I think tonight I might go look at them again, to celebrate with my American friends. I hope the cat doesn't mind... he disappeared under the motor home for 6 hours the first time!

Thanks for keeping her in your thoughts. I think it's working!

There should be a love button
I have no words

Lacey

I wonder if Dr. Pepper has a lot of caffeine, perhaps that woke up Lee. If so, not a bad idea to try some once in a while. And the swallowing success is stupendous!

I am by no means a doctor or inside the medical profession, but I think it's a great idea if it's within reason to stay away from more operations if it's at all possible. Being on anesthesia surely must drag Lee backwards for a long recovery period afterwards physically, mentally and emotionally. We have a relative by marriage who is a double doctor--an Anesthesiologist and a Neurologist, and I can see the connection. Is it ignorant of me to ask if any of her types of potentially needed operations can be done with local meds?

Keep on fighting, I feel that, having reached the end of second part of the first year and the end of the first six months of this second year, you two are really on the downhill glide to get Lee home.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information