Provisional allotments for ISU Championships 2022, 2023 & 2024; future bids discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sylvia

TBD
Cross-posting from the Australian news thread since it's also relevant to this one:
I just heard a rumour that the 2023 Four Continents Championships are moving from Sydney to the Gold Coast.
I noticed in the table of ISU international competitions (page 4) that was published on June 1:
7-12 February 2023 TBA AUS ISU Four Continents Figure Skating Championships 2023

ETA the other ISU Championships in 2023 as listed on the ISU calendar:

23-29 January 2023 Espoo FIN ISU European Figure Skating Championships 2023 - ALL EVENT TICKETS: https://www.ticketmaster.fi/artist/taitoluistelun-em-kilpailut-2023-lippuja/1142304

27 February-5 March 2023 Calgary, AB CAN ISU World Junior Figure Skating Championships 2023
20-26 March 2023 Saitama JPN ISU World Figure Skating Championships 2023
10-11 March 2023 Angers FRA ISU World Junior Synchronized Skating Championships 2023
31 March-1 April 2023 Lake Placid, NY USA ISU World Synchronized Skating Championships 2023

Provisional allotments:
ISU European Figure Skating Championships Jan 22 - Jan 28, 2024 Budapest /HUN
ISU Four Continents Figure Skating Championships Feb 06 - Feb 11, 2024 TBA
ISU World Junior Figure Skating Championships Feb 26 - Mar 03, 2024 TBA
ISU World Figure Skating Championships Mar 18 - Mar 24, 2024 Montréal /CAN
ISU World Junior Synchronized Skating Championships 2023 Mar 08 - Mar 09, 2024 TBA
ISU World Synchronized Skating Championships Apr 05 - Apr 06, 2024 Zagreb /CRO

Last edited:

Sylvia

TBD
The sections from Communication No. 2488 (Decisions of the Council) that are relevant to this thread are copied out below.

The ISU Council met on June 5 and June 11-12, 2022 in Phuket, Thailand. The following were among the decisions taken by the Council during the meeting.

4. Definite allotment of ISU Championships season 2022/23 In accordance with Rule 127 of the ISU General Regulations, the Council has definitely allotted the Championships for 2023 as follows:
Figure Skating
ISU European Figure Skating Championships to be held in Espoo, Finland on January 23-29, 2023
ISU Four Continents Figure Skating Championships to be held in Colorado Springs, USA on February 7-12, 2023 (moved from Australia :()
Cross-posting from the Australian news thread since it's also relevant to this one:
Foolhardy Ham Lint [posted on June 2]: "I just heard a rumour that the 2023 Four Continents Championships are moving from Sydney to the Gold Coast."

I noticed in the table of ISU international competitions (page 4) that was published on June 1:
7-12 February 2023 TBA AUS ISU Four Continents Figure Skating Championships 2023
ISU World Junior Figure Skating Championships to be held in Calgary, Canada on February 27 to March 5, 2023
ISU World Figure Skating Championships to be held in Saitama, Japan on March 20-26, 2023

Synchronized Skating
ISU World Junior Synchronized Skating Championships to be held in Angers, France on March 10-11,2023
ISU World Synchronized Skating Championships to be held in Lake Placid, USA on March 31 to April 1, 2023

5. Provisional Allotment of ISU Championships season 2023/24
In accordance with Rule 127 of the ISU Regulations, the Council has provisionally allotted the following 2024 Championships:

Figure Skating
ISU Four Continents Figure Skating Championships to be held in Shanghai, China on January 29- February 4, 2024
ISU World Junior Figure Skating Championships to be held in Taipei City, Chinese Taipei on February 26-March 3, 2024

Synchronized Skating
ISU World Junior Synchronized Skating Championships to be held in Lake Placid, USA on March 31 to April 1, 2023

Synchronized Skating
ISU World Junior Synchronized Skating Championships to be held on March 8-9, 2024
Due to a lack of applications received in due time, the Council was not able to make an allotment for the 2024 ISU World Junior Synchronized Skating Championships. ISU Members are invited to make an application for this Championships before August 31, 2022.

6. Provisional Allotment of ISU Championships seasons 2024/25 to 2026/27
The Council decided to postpone the allotment of ISU Championships seasons 2024/25 to 2026/27 to the Council meeting in October 2022 in order to fully evaluate the impact of the Congress decision to amend the qualifying rounds of the World Figure Skating Championships and also to establish an overall view of the Speed Skating and Short Track Speed Skating calendars in the respective seasons.

ETA (for those wondering): 2023 U.S. Nationals in San Jose, CA will end on Sunday, Jan. 29, 2023 (just over one week before the start of 4CC that has been relocated to Colorado Springs).

Last edited:

Andrea82

Also, Kaitlyn Weaver has been appointed to the ISU Ice Dance Technical Committee.

The appointed skater to Technical Committee used to be Alper Ucar. Ucar has now being switched to the TC appointed coach position replacing Margaglio (who is out of Technical Committee).
The appointed skater to Single & Pair Skating Technical Committee was Fedor Klimov. They didn't reappoint him but they didn't appoint anybody else either.

On My Own

I love my Asian 4CCs so I can't complain (hoping to see it actually held, lol, although it's nearly two years away, very much likely China's policies will cool down by then).

Confused about Australia as well.

Karen-W

How long do we have to wait for GP assignments?
Wow. Such a bummer for Australia to lose out on hosting 4CCs!

Karen-W

How long do we have to wait for GP assignments?
Why was it decided to move it from Sydney in the first place?
I think it was mentioned in the Aussie news thread that there was a scheduling conflict (pandemic-related fallout) with the pro basketball team that also uses the planned venue in Sydney. So, the idea was to move it to Brisbane or the Gold Coast, but, again, problems with finding an appropriate venue in a short amount of time.

I really hope that Australia is in the mix for the open GP that was supposed to be in China. I know it's not Asia, but at least it would be the eastern Pacific still, and, frankly, while Korea has more depth in the women's discipline, Australia has the greater depth overall and could field at least 2 entries in all 4 disciplines at a GP.

Foolhardy Ham Lint

I think it was mentioned in the Aussie news thread that there was a scheduling conflict (pandemic-related fallout) with the pro basketball team that also uses the planned venue in Sydney. So, the idea was to move it to Brisbane or the Gold Coast, but, again, problems with finding an appropriate venue in a short amount of time.

I really hope that Australia is in the mix for the open GP that was supposed to be in China. I know it's not Asia, but at least it would be the eastern Pacific still, and, frankly, while Korea has more depth in the women's discipline, Australia has the greater depth overall and could field at least 2 entries in all 4 disciplines at a GP.
As amazing as this sounds, if ISA couldn't lock in a suitable arena for their failed Four Continents bid next February, it would be very unlikely they could find one in even less time for a Senior Grand Prix this November.

Last edited:

sus2850

I still do not understand the rush. If they were close to securing a deal, why couldn‘t the ISU wait a month? I mean they still have open GP locations and it is 7 months to 4CC (I was considering to fly over…)

skatfan

I still do not understand the rush. If they were close to securing a deal, why couldn‘t the ISU wait a month? I mean they still have open GP locations and it is 7 months to 4CC (I was considering to fly over…)
I’m guessing that the lead times for a championship are established, and that the timeline for relocating the GP to another country is different given the unusual circumstances.

I feel bad for the Aussie fans, but nobody wants to have another 4CC championship in Europe again.

MacMadame

Doing all the things
Euros in the US! Sounds good to me. :lol:

But I was referring to skaters preferring to fly to Europe versus cities 14 hours away.

skatfan

Euros in the US! Sounds good to me. :lol:

But I was referring to skaters preferring to fly to Europe versus cities 14 hours away.
You literally said "I wouldn't mind" and the word skater didn't appear. :)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information