Prince Andrew

skategal

Bunny mama
I have the same problem here in France when I have to teach students called 'Fanny'.
Fanny is UK, Australia, NZ slang for

Pussy/vagina
I have a similar issue.

Fanny is slang here for your butt/bum.

We just hired a new director and her name is Fanny. She is French Canadian. :shuffle:

allezfred

In A Fake Snowball Fight
I have the same problem here in France when I have to teach students called 'Fanny'.

Pussy/vagina
Yeah, just like other English speaking countries outside North America it’s the same here. :lol:
I have a similar issue.

Fanny is slang here for your butt/bum.

We just hired a new director and her name is Fanny. She is French Canadian. :shuffle:
And those of us outside the US giggle when we hear Americans use the phrase fanny pack for a bum bag. :rofl:

When our family were visiting our American grandmother in upstate New York, on one occasion my younger brother was being a little bit naughty. Our grandmother said to him “I’ll fan your fanny.” To which he replied somewhat bemusedly “But I don’t have a fanny…” :confused: :lol:

MacMadame

Doing all the things
Yeah, just like other English speaking countries outside North America it’s the same here. :lol:
Fanny used to be and to some extent still is. I mean, as you point out, we do have the fanny pack. It didn't get that name by accident.

I don't think younger people know this though as it seems to have fallen out of favor. For myself, I do remember being threatened with a smack on my fanny when I was bad. But I never said that to my kids so I doubt they'd think of it immediately.

Cachoo

And those of us outside the US giggle when we hear Americans use the phrase fanny pack for a bum bag. :rofl:

When our family were visiting our American grandmother in upstate New York, on one occasion my younger brother was being a little bit naughty. Our grandmother said to him “I’ll fan your fanny.” To which he replied somewhat bemusedly “But I don’t have a fanny…” :confused: :lol:
The C word for the V word sounds so abrasive in the states and it is meant as dire insult. But you hear Irish women refer to it ending in a "y" and sounds softer and not insulting in the least. What this has to do with Prince Andrew I don't know...

Yehudi

AITA

Pussy/vagina
My roommate in Russia, also an English teacher, was named Hugh and his students always giggled because it sounded like a slang term for

penis

Coco

Rotating while Russian!
I'ma put this right here.

Cachoo

My sister’s best friend was so thankful she did not have her mother’s maiden name: Boner.

taf2002

Fluff up your tutu & dance away.....
I just read that QE2 isn't going to remove Andrew's military title even though it's over a year since he "stepped back" from public duties. His only title is an honorary one. Meanwhile we know that another prince who actually served in the military had his titles stripped for stepping back. But then QE isn't really known for fairness within the family.

miffy

Bad Brit
Staff member
I just read that QE2 isn't going to remove Andrew's military title even though it's over a year since he "stepped back" from public duties. His only title is an honorary one. Meanwhile we know that another prince who actually served in the military had his titles stripped for stepping back. But then QE isn't really known for fairness within the family.
I’m not disagreeing about fairness, but Andrew served in the military too, IIRC he flew helicopters in the Falklands War. I think he was navy, not army.
The titles Harry was stripped of were honorary too.

overedge

Mayor of Carrot City
I just finished reading a truly terrible book about Meghan, and the author questioned why Prince Andrew hasn't been stripped of his royal titles for consorting with Epstein. Does the British Queen or King have the power to take titles like Prince or Princess from his/her children?

MLIS

My understanding is no, the Queen cannot unilaterally take royal titles away. Once conferred, they require an act of parliament to be removed. They can stop using them, but they aren’t actually taken away. Harry and Meghan were told not to use HRH, but there was no act of parliament removing it (a quick Google search told me that there is a Letters Patent issued by the queen after Andrew and Sarah divorced saying that women divorced from the sovereign’s sons are no longer entitled to an HRH, but both Diana and Sarah kept titles as Princess of Wales and Duchess of York respectively, just no HRH in front … Sarah still markets herself as the Duchess of York). Edward and Sophie’s children are entitled to be HRH Prince and Princess, but their parents chose to have them use lesser titles given how far they are from the throne. I suppose when their daughter turns 18 she could suddenly announce she wants to be addressed as HRH Princess Louise, instead of Lady Louise as she is now. Mostly if people aren’t using their royal titles it is by choice, theirs or the queen’s, but the titles aren’t actually removed.

The honourary military titles are different, those are duties and titles they have been asked to hold on behalf of the Queen, and she can take them back (or reassign them). She did not take military titles from Harry that he earned through his service, just ones he held in her name. She should, IMO, do the same for Andrew, but no one asked me.

antmanb

This came across my email this AM. Is there really any evidence that Prince Andrew's finances aren't above board?

I think it's all speculation about where he gets his money from. It wouldn't surprise me at all to find out mummy helps him out a lot more than we know.

And there is, of course, the chance that he's made money trafficking women with Epstein and Maxwell...if he ever ends up in front of a judge we may find out more.

Winnipeg

I always just assumed the royals were wealthy and did not need to worry about money but now I recall Fergie having trouble at one point...........but she was bailed out

If PA made money from trafficking young girls, he should go to jail (IF he did).

skatingguy

decently
I always just assumed the royals were wealthy and did not need to worry about money but now I recall Fergie having trouble at one point...........but she was bailed out

If PA made money from trafficking young girls, he should go to jail (IF he did).
Even if he didn't make any money.

overedge

Mayor of Carrot City

Fergie had financial troubles when she was no longer getting as much money as she once did from PA and the Royal Family. Which led to her trying to sell access to meetings with PA, her Budgie the Helicopter books, her Weight Watchers endorsements, etc etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information