Practice Thread

GarrAarghHrumph

I can kill you with my brain
Ratings
Ah, thanks for reminding me to get my skates sharpened. I have another competition in just over a week, and this would be the latest I'd want my skates sharpened before that.

Willin

Ratings
I got new skates, but I won't have the opportunity to use them for two weeks! -.- At least they don't seem like they'll be bad to break in.

Per

Ratings
Yesterday I was going to show my wife how someone I watched online did forward powerpulls and overdid it so I fell backwards and landed on my arm, seems like I sprained my wrist. Annoying.

Thread starter #487

antmanb

Ratings
My practices have been going so-so. I've adjusted to the new boots and the sharpened blades but I just keep having very patchy practices that are a lot of hard work to correct minor things and get something in the ballpark of ok.

One bonus is that I am skating with better speed and I am managing to control that speed in some basic areas. He says desperate to find the silver lining :lol:

misskarne

Handy Emergency Backup Mode
Ratings
Yesterday I was going to show my wife how someone I watched online did forward powerpulls and overdid it so I fell backwards and landed on my arm, seems like I sprained my wrist. Annoying.
Only a sprain I hope? Might be worth an x-ray.

Well, after all these months, I finally had a session yesterday that involved jumps and spins and no agony today. Just a couple of wonky toe loops and a wobbly upright spin or two, but unlike last time I attempted that my back has pulled up pretty well. We'll see how the rest of this week goes, but I might be able to start building up to real practice instead of just tooling around in circles like I have been for the last month.

Theoreticalgirl

your faves are problematic
Ratings
Welp, a whole summer has basically flown by and I've skated a total of... 12 times? The ice schedules at all my local rinks were just slightly off; now my main rink is closed for the month of August as they do a full ice melt.

In the meantime, I've been spending a lot of time off the ice trying to address a host of injuries stemming from last summer's ankle sprain (and subsequent re-sprains). In short, the left side of my body is a hot mess; ankle pain, longstanding knee stability, SI joint issues, and oddly enough a rotator cuff strain. And then, just because it wasn't enough, I strained my right knee in a grand plié at ballet class a couple weeks ago. Y'all might find this hard to believe, but I am not this injury-prone. I think this is the by-product of turning 40? Just roll me up in some sweat-wicking bubblewrap, if it exists, and I'll be good to go.

On top of spending all of my free time in physical therapy, I went on vacation and got new blades. As luck would have it, the skate tech I have been using unexpectedly quit the skating biz entirely, so I had someone new do the mounting. I am probably very lucky that I've always had good experiences with mounting, but this time around it required a lot of tweaking. They're still not where I like them to be, but I can live with it in the short-term.

[If anyone can recommend someone in the PA/NJ/NYC/DE/MD area that is exceptional at this, let me know.]

On the bright side, I did get the skate the Paul Wylie clinic at my rink and somehow survived, crap blade mount and all. It was lovely, skating with Paul is always a blast. He loves working with adults. Looking forward to the upcoming Adult Camp at Patriot Ice Center (FKA the Pond) with a bunch of really great coaches, plus Dartfish analysis(!).

Per

Ratings
Thanks everyone for the concern, the wrist was awfully hurting the night after the fall and the next day until the evening, when the pain started to fade away pretty quickly. Now there's not much pain left, and I'm back on ice! :biggrinbo

Thread starter #491

antmanb

Ratings
I landed a loop again :cheer2: :cheer2: it had been about 4 weeks since I least squeaked out a loop and I hadn't managed to do it again until last night :cheer2:

Focussed on jumps with my coach and after a few weeks of doing jumps that barely left the ice, I finally managed to get a good lift/pop into the jumps. The loop took a little while to get there and after a few attempts that got the height, and I managed to get my arms under control and eventually started two footing some really good attempts. Eventually I got a small one landed on one foot and then did one more that was bigger and better over all.

We moved onto flip and after a few scary attempts (my arms were flailing badly last night), I managed to get about 5 or 6 really nice high jumps that were fully rotated and nicely landed...on two feet. I couldn't get over the mental block. The final one I really pulled the knee right up, rotated in that position, actually had to stretch down with the free foot to get it to touch!!! It would have been easier to just land on one foot but somehow I didn't.

Anyway it was much better than the last few week's practise so i'm happy.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)