Piston rolls

brennele

I often watch this video when I want to take a break from my computer work. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JisdSEVCczw - Somehow, I never seem to tire of viewing it. It is one of my all time favorites. So here is my question. Why do we never seem to see these deep knee bend piston rolls in any of the various men's programs? I have never seen anyone but Carlow perform this element yet, as the narrator points out, it is quite a crowd pleaser. Anyone know why? I have seen a video of Hamilton performing piston rolls in a standing position but it is not nearly as dramatic as the way Carlow did it. Seems to me these deep knee bent piston rolls would fit in nicely in any long or short routine. I never see anyone performing them. As for Carlow, dated though it be, this entire performance blows me away. Anyone else like it?

treesprite

In that video, I believe the commentator using that term, is referring to what looks to me like a couple or three successive two-footed 3-turns or two-footed twizzles in a sit position. I don't find it particularly interesting, and in my own opinion, it would probably not look right in most choreographed programs.

gkelly

I've seen the move before. Occasionally in freeskates as well as in show programs. It seems to have been fairly popular in the 1980s.

Closest example in a woman's freeskate: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1jYQr-XMjU4&t=3m57s

It's probably not highly valued by judges because it's done on two feet. But if executed well with good choreographic intention it could be fun as a transitional move or in a ChSq.

Last edited:

brennele

gkelly, yeah, I agree - what the skater did was close. I think it is more suitable for the men because it can be a power move if executed with deeply bent knees.
trees, I think you are correct - things tend to go in and out of fashion and skating is likely no exception. What did you think of the routine, as a whole. One thing about exhibitions vs competitions is that the skaters are free to add moves which are entertaining but do not particularly garner points. I esp like Carlow's dance-like moves. Of course this discussion brings up the whole issue of whether skating has become but a jumping contest. Is there room for anything else?

Doubletoe

I agree with Gkelly (again!). Under IJS, turns within a leveled step sequence have to be identifiable (which also means done on one foot) in order to get any credit for the difficulty and variety requirements. This move could be done as part of a choreo sequence--which does not get levels--but might burn out the quad muscles more than the skater would like, especially if he still has more jumps or sit spins to do.

brennele

Makes sense and I am about to start a thread called the Evolution of Figure skating wherein we can pursue your excellent points further.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information