Peacock Will Stream All NBCUniversal Coverage Of Beijing Olympics, Including Live Events, Via Premium Tier

maureenfarone

Yesterday (Wednesday) about 8:00 a.m. EST I decided to watch the replay of the Olympics Women's FS on Peacock. The Olympics individual event replays were all gone. The NBC primetime coverage was available but I wasn't sure I wanted to watch that since I probably wouldn't see the lower ranked skaters. At 8:00 a.m. all of the other skating events were available - 4CC, Euros, U. S. Nationals...everything and the skating boot icon was still showing along with the other sports.

About 1:00 p.m. I decided I would watch Grand Prix from France and ALL of the events were gone - 4CC, Euros, U. S. Nationals, GPs, Olympic individual events and the figure skating boot was also gone. The only stuff available is the NBC primetime coverage which included small parts of the FS coverage.

I have no idea why everything has disappeared - maybe Peacock website maintenance, the lawsuit against K/F, but why take down Euros and the U. S. qualifying comps?, or someone pushed the wrong button. So frustrating.

BlueRidge

AYS's snark-sponge
Edited to add that I see a lot of people tweeting Peacock about it at least. Don't see any official response!
I was going to ask whether people on twitter could tweet at them. I'm not on twitter. I emailed through the NBCOlympics site but that probably went in a black hole.

If you see any responses on twitter please let us know!

BlueRidge

AYS's snark-sponge
This is what I am talking about. One person says they are there and another says they are all gone.

I will definitely look around and see if I can find something. We should all look!
Don't bother. They are not there, at least as of 8 am today.

This isn't a "one person says" thing when multiple posters have spent a good deal of time searching.

Simone411

To Boldly Explore Figure Skating Around The World
I was going to ask whether people on twitter could tweet at them. I'm not on twitter. I emailed through the NBCOlympics site but that probably went in a black hole.

If you see any responses on twitter please let us know!
I'm afraid I had no luck, either. All I found at NBC Olympics is Figure Skating Highlights. I kept clicking on "See More" but no such luck. There's a lot of highlights. Just no showing of any of the programs.

love skating

Clueless American
Tweet from someone describing their experience with Peacock customer service to ask about the removal figure skating:

https://twitter.com/cursedaxel/status/1497288056377913345

To me this does not instill great confidence that any replays will be reinstalled any time soon. Nor does it make me feel good about Peacocks' customer service. I'm quite mad since we are paying to see the skating and there is no skating to be seen :(

aka_gerbil

Rooting for the Underdogs
Tweet from someone describing their experience with Peacock customer service to ask about the removal figure skating:

To me this does not instill great confidence that any replays will be reinstalled any time soon. Nor does it make me feel good about Peacocks' customer service. I'm quite mad since we are paying to see the skating and there is no skating to be seen :(
I have peacock free with my intervsr service, but if I were paying and had subscribed just to watch skating, I’d be pretty angry about them not giving any straight answers.

If they’re not going to cover skating, then that will drive people to vpn services to be able to watch the streams from elsewhere in the world.

tony

Throwing the (rule)book at them

Here's the thing, and no offense to people who paid $5 or $10 to watch the Olympics and that's it (it's also very likely that brand new subscribers could've gotten a free trial that covered the Olympics, too). There are endless other things on Peacock that drive viewers in. This isn't Ice Network and it's nowhere near the same concept, and the customer service likely doesn't know what is going on. Should they know? Maybe. But figure skating isn't exactly making the majority of their revenue and they probably weren't told anything further. So any and every customer service agent is going to give the same answer.

And really, they aren't going to be that concerned about someone who signed up for a month dropping their subscription, so it's not going to get an answer out of them by stating such. People don't want to hear it, but that's likely the truth.

Perhaps there are licensing issues, perhaps things are getting reworked, who knows.

BlueRidge

AYS's snark-sponge
I don't think this indicates they won't have future figure skating. Something weird is going on, I mean, they've already aquired all the videos for the fall events so that doesn't cost them to keep them up if some people will pay to view them. So there must be something legal going on.

I don't think it hurts to keep asking who knows if some information might come out. I'd certainly like some.

mtnskater

Darn it Peacock. I was planning to watch the juniors from nationals in the lull during Olympics and Worlds. Hadn’t gotten to that yet. Maybe someone should contact USFS and ask them what’s up. Interest in figure skating is likely heightened after the Olympics and having other competition videos up would be beneficial to the sport I would think. I got hooked on skating during the 1992 Olympics and would have devoured stuff on Peacock if there were something like it back then.

MacMadame

Doing all the things
the customer service likely doesn't know what is going on
☝️

I think customer service is trained to answer questions about your bill and your account. All they can do about this is tell you whatever their screen says. Which isn't much.

Darn it Peacock. I was planning to watch the juniors from nationals in the lull during Olympics and Worlds. Hadn’t gotten to that yet. Maybe someone should contact USFS and ask them what’s up. Interest in figure skating is likely heightened after the Olympics and having other competition videos up would be beneficial to the sport I would think. I got hooked on skating during the 1992 Olympics and would have devoured stuff on Peacock if there were something like it back then.
I think that is an excellent idea. Also, possible tweeting to Peacock might get the attention of someone in a department who can get us a real answer.

BittyBug

Disgusted
About 1:00 p.m. I decided I would watch Grand Prix from France and ALL of the events were gone - 4CC, Euros, U. S. Nationals, GPs, Olympic individual events and the figure skating boot was also gone. The only stuff available is the NBC primetime coverage which included small parts of the FS coverage.
Figure skating doesn't even appear on the list of sports. :wideeyes:

Frau Muller

From Puerto Rico…With Love! Not LatinX!
I agree with those who suspect this is related to the lawsuit against Knierem and Frazier.
Then why don’t they remove just the events with K/F?

I’m just waiting for Worlds to be over before canceling…and I’m already a Comcast cable subscriber!!! In our area, Peacock was free for Comcast subscribers but not since October…now paying $5:mo. Just one more month to go!

Debbie S

Agree that USFS is the entity to contact, since they're actively promoting Peacock on their website as the place to watch skating events. Also NBC.....if this is in fact due to K/F lawsuit, any order to take down FS would have come from their legal dept.

aka_gerbil

Whatever is going on, I think it would be nice if they could be more transparent about what’s happening so people can decide to cancel subscriptions or know they need to watch as an event happens.

My big and probably irrational fear is this lawsuit will mean a permanent end to streaming skating in the us and all we will be able to get is whatever they decide to put on nbc and the Olympic channel. That would be far short of everything, but enough to knock us residents from having access to the isu stream because nbc has broadcast rights.

Karen-W

Is that a coup happening behind that blue curtain?
Whatever is going on, I think it would be nice if they could be more transparent about what’s happening so people can decide to cancel subscriptions or know they need to watch as an event happens.

My big and probably irrational fear is this lawsuit will mean a permanent end to streaming skating in the us and all we will be able to get is whatever they decide to put on nbc and the Olympic channel. That would be far short of everything, but enough to knock us residents from having access to the isu stream because nbc has broadcast rights.
I don't think it will put an end to the live streaming, but it could put an end to the archived events on Peacock, which is going to be a huge loss for fans especially those who don't have time to watch them immediately.

aka_gerbil

I don't think it will put an end to the live streaming, but it could put an end to the archived events on Peacock, which is going to be a huge loss for fans especially those who don't have time to watch them immediately.
And will just result in people searching the back corners of the internet for what they can find instead of paying for access.

AnnM

I've tweeted and retweeted Peacock multiple times over the past week and haven't received any answers. If it is indeed in response to the HYH lawsuit, then taking down everything is ridiculous and NBC needs to explain itself.

Frau Muller

Gosh, am I the only person who recorded the Olympic competition as it happened?
I hate to depend on “clouds” to house film collections…

giselle23

Then why don’t they remove just the events with K/F?

I’m just waiting for Worlds to be over before canceling…and I’m already a Comcast cable subscriber!!! In our area, Peacock was free for Comcast subscribers but not since October…now paying $5:mo. Just one more month to go!
I am going to cancel Peacock after Worlds, too. And I will think twice before re-subscribing. Not delivering what was promised and poor customer service was what brought Ice Network down. Peacock should pay attention.

love skating

Clueless American
USFS lists Peacock as showing US Synchronized Skating Championships this week March 2-5. This press article says:

"Peacock Premium will provide live and on-demand coverage of all senior, junior and collegiate events."

2022 US Synchronized Skating Championships

So will this still air on Peacock? (It's not showing yet on live and upcoming events, though often the skating events don't pop up until last minute.) And maybe the bigger question is - will on-demand coverage take place? My guess is it will still be shown on Peacock because Peacock did air all the skating from the Olympics live, it's the missing replays or on-demand options that are the problem. So I'm really curious to see how this next event is all handled.

jiejie

I'm about to dump peacock and instead put the monthly cost towards a good VPN with servers in lots of different countries.

Patinita

I agree, something must be up. Figure Skating is usually considered a high profile winter Olympic sport. For it to NOT be there, there has to be a reason. But as of last night, on Peacock I was able to scroll to Events Day by Day, and scroll to the specific date of a skating event and then scroll to "Primetime" on that date, skating is buried in the 4+ hours of that broadcast. Didn't check them all, but they usually showed the U.S. skater(s) in the early groups, then you have to scroll thru an hour of another event until you get to the final group of skaters. And they don't make fast forward easy. But I was able to watch a few that I missed or wanted to watch again. But, NO WAY is that how I want to watch skating. Hope we get an answer soon.

maureenfarone

I'm about to dump peacock and instead put the monthly cost towards a good VPN with servers in lots of different countries.
I've never used a VPN so this is probably a dumb question, but can you use a VPN to watch U. S. Qualifying competitions and U. S. Nationals?

TanithandBenFan

Author of the Ice and Edge Series
I've never used a VPN so this is probably a dumb question, but can you use a VPN to watch U. S. Qualifying competitions and U. S. Nationals?
A VPN is needed to access streams from other countries, so it wouldn’t be useful for US qualifying events since they aren’t broadcast outside the US. Peacock is the only way to watch those. I think there may have been some international feeds of US Nationals in the past but I’m not certain.

SkateSand

Cat Servant
I've been able to find all the NBC prime time broadcasts on Peacock, including the pairs short programs, which included Alexa and Brandon, so I don't think it's the copyright thing.

Frau Muller

I've been able to find all the NBC prime time broadcasts on Peacock, including the pairs short programs, which included Alexa and Brandon, so I don't think it's the copyright thing.
Ah but NBC prime time only showed selected skaters, mixed with other sports. Not the same thing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information