Paul: yay or nay?

• Yay

Votes: 68 47.6%
  • Nay

Votes: 75 52.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Desperado

I had no clue my choice of mispronunciation example would create so much discussion. šŸ˜Š Since the jump was named for the Swedish Ulrich Salchow, itā€™d be curious to find out the Swedish pronunciation of the word.

Simone411

To Boldly Explore Figure Skating Around The World
Something else the Brits pronounced completely differently to Americans, going back a bit here - Yagudin. YAG-a-din, or Yag-OOH-din? :confused: I assume the Americans are right now although at the time I only heard the Brits. I never saw him live and have always avoided saying his surname to anyone who would know :lol:

Found this during the 2004 Ice Wars in the Kiss & Cry. The American commentators were pronouncing it Ya-goo-din or at least that's what it sounded like to me. That's how I've always pronounced it, too.

2004 Ice Wars K&C - Yagudin & Eldredge

mjb52

Am I imagining a little v at the end? I hear sal-KO-ve but I also have terrible hearing.

Last edited:

MacMadame

Doing all the things
Something else the Brits pronounced completely differently to Americans, going back a bit here - Yagudin. YAG-a-din, or Yag-OOH-din? :confused:
I don't think Americans use either of those. I've always heard Ya-goo-din.

Since we're talking pronunciation I was really shocked when the commentators started talking about Eulers and pronounced it with a German accent. I'd only ever see the word written down so in my head read it as Yew-ler rather than Oy-ler.
I call it "that half jump thingie in the middle" because I have no idea how to say it and can't even reproduce either of the pronunciations I've heard. :D

I am like everyone else, I have my preferences. However, the one thing I just can't stand in a commentator is the catty, mean spirited comments. I didn't hear that from Paul.
I did. People were saying he was snarky but I found him mean at times.

mollymgr

I had to look up other people named Salchow out of curiosity. There is a guy called Nick Salchow who is an MMA fighter from Germany. In some of his interviews, his last name was pronounced as Sal-Cho.:eek: No sows or cows.:lol:

Spun Silver

Five pages and to be given the one-name treatment at this early date in his figure skating career! I should think our PAUL is tickled pink. He's probably already demanding a raise.

Marco

Belinda Noonan: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hgXKJvTVW9g&list=PL-292yfpAFGbqbClU0APmFgJShzVj5Wlb

I have a friend at NBC who tells me that the sound issues in Korea were maximally bad and Paul was stuck with a permanently open mike the whole time, a nightmare for any broadcaster. So under those circumstances we all should give him a break.

What has permanently open mic got to do with his poor commentary? He could simply have kept quiet if he didn't know what to say.

misskarne

Handy Emergency Backup Mode
What has permanently open mic got to do with his poor commentary? He could simply have kept quiet if he didn't know what to say.

I cannot imagine a more stressful situation for a sports commentator - especially when he clearly knew he was already being piled on and blamed for it.

I remember him saying something during the ladies that there was only one cable or some such? You'd think a fed like the Korean fed would know how to do this sort of thing properly by now.

Aceon6

Wrangling the duvet into the cover
ā€œNo dead air.ā€ Broadcast people are drilled from the first day to be aware of a hot mic or live camera and act accordingly. At my nephewā€™s network, itā€™s a max of 20 seconds during a live broadcast and 3 seconds coming back from any type of break. Those drilled habits are extremely hard to shake, especially for someone who doesnā€™t do skating full time. Also, heā€™s done other sports where the commentator is expected to narrate every part of the action. Combine those two influences and we get what we got.

PRlady

Cowardly admin
Staff member
ā€œNo dead air.ā€ Broadcast people are drilled from the first day to be aware of a hot mic or live camera and act accordingly. At my nephewā€™s network, itā€™s a max of 20 seconds during a live broadcast and 3 seconds coming back from any type of break. Those drilled habits are extremely hard to shake, especially for someone who doesnā€™t do skating full time. Also, heā€™s done other sports where the commentator is expected to narrate every part of the action. Combine those two influences and we get what we got.

Exactly. With a bad sound feed and an open mike, the broadcaster is aware that he and any ambient sound can be heard on a hot mike. And heā€™s supposed to keep talking.

Orm Irian

Exactly. With a bad sound feed and an open mike, the broadcaster is aware that he and any ambient sound can be heard on a hot mike. And heā€™s supposed to keep talking.

And the broadcaster talking can help to block out some of that ambient sound that the audience would otherwise be complaining bitterly about, too.

barbarafan

I'm not referring to just liking his work, but actively ubering him in the same fan club activity-based way one does a skater. Signs, spamming social media accounts with tweets about him, etc. Although I don't know if anyone's made a prayer candle yet the way I've seen done in honor of some coaches!
Thanks for the idea. Or maybe a statue.

VGThuy

The Brits pronounce Van Gogh incorrectly too if I remember that debate correctly. ;)

I notice that Obama and many people my generation and younger pronounce Iran correctly. I remember Obama was given grief by some conservatives for daring to pronounce Pakistan correctly and I guess they thought it showed he really was a Muslim or something.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information