Paul: yay or nay?

• Yay

Votes: 68 47.6%
  • Nay

Votes: 75 52.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

millyskate

That's what I was thinking. Can you imagine trying to "watch" skating via radio?!

I assume so. Or close enough. (It's hard to convey pronunciation via letters) The L is barely pronounced as well. So more like sow-cow. (sow as in a mother pig, not sow as in plant seeds) But not exactly.

Anyway, I've never heard it pronounced any other way on tv or in person. But I also didn't care that much about it because it was close enough and, as I said, everyone has an accent.
Oh wow - I had aways said Salko but then I first learnt the word in French, so didn’t give it much thought.

VGThuy

I don't remember ever hearing it other than "sow-cow" with a light "L" sound in the middle from any commentator previously including the Brits. I guess it's more like "sal-cow" for me but don't say "Sal" in the stereotypical NYC/NJ accent you'd see from Hollywood way either. Now I'm curious to know if I actually heard that right or if my brain just "corrected" it.

MacMadame

Doing all the things
Given that the salko pronunciation jarred me, I don't think I was subconsciously correcting other people. That's literally all I've ever heard before. I didn't realize it was one of those words that were different in different parts of the world.

Marco

Funnily Paul's pronunciation for Lutz is American. Other UK commentators have always pronounced it as "loots".

millyskate

I don't remember ever hearing it other than "sow-cow" with a light "L" sound in the middle from any commentator previously including the Brits. I guess it's more like "sal-cow" for me but don't say "Sal" in the stereotypical NYC/NJ accent you'd see from Hollywood way either. Now I'm curious to know if I actually heard that right or if my brain just "corrected" it.
Eurosport version :)

miffy

Bad Brit
Staff member
I’m annoyed now. I learnt all my pronunciation from Chris and Simon about 20 years ago. I picked up from going to live events and speaking to people in the skating world when they had the skater names wrong (I spent years screaming at the screen when they called Takahashi ‘Die-soo-kee’) but I expected them to have the jump names right at least! :drama:

millyskate

I’m annoyed now. I learnt all my pronunciation from Chris and Simon about 20 years ago. I picked up from going to live events and speaking to people in the skating world when they had the skater names wrong (I spent years screaming at the screen when they called Takahashi ‘Die-soo-kee’) but I expected them to have the jump names right at least! :drama:
Oh they do - I don't think anyone in Europe pronounces sow-cow :shuffle:

Last edited:

VGThuy

A leading authority on American pronunciation

I shall henceforth use the middle one of the three. :cool:

Then there's lutz, which has only one American pronunciation, but Chris Howarth (no American he) does not use it. :shuffle:

Seeing it written out, I think it's the first one that most Americans use.

I really do think my brain corrected it "Sal-kau" and just thinking they were saying the same thing but that their accents just differed from the American commentators.

Here's Peggy's pronunciation:

Now that I'm hearing this Eurosport version:

I'm more than convinced I was still hearing "sal-kau" even though he is saying something closer to "salko". I think I may have put too much emphasis on the "ko" part when I read "salko" like saying "Balto" or something when the "ko" is actually a bit softer where it can sound like "kau" if you were already conditioned to hearing that way.

Last edited:

MsZem

I see the sea
I learned the pronunciation from What Would Brian Boitano Do.

miffy

Bad Brit
Staff member
Something else the Brits pronounced completely differently to Americans, going back a bit here - Yagudin. YAG-a-din, or Yag-OOH-din? :confused: I assume the Americans are right now although at the time I only heard the Brits. I never saw him live and have always avoided saying his surname to anyone who would know :lol:

millyskate

Something else the Brits pronounced completely differently to Americans, going back a bit here - Yagudin. YAG-a-din, or Yag-OOH-din? :confused: I assume the Americans are right now although at the time I only heard the Brits. I never saw him live and have always avoided saying his surname to anyone who would know :lol:
Russians would say "Ya-goo-din.

This discussion reminds of of the US v UK pronunciation of Tkatchev / Katchev in gymnastics (they even write it differently).
(Tu-kah-tcheff v cat-chef). Actual Russian pronunciation https://youtu.be/3lT4YOe1iQo?t=35

Lutz comes from Austrian skater Alois Lutz, so should definitely be more "loots" than "lahts"

Last edited:

text_skate

Lutz comes from Austrian skater Alois Lutz, so should definitely be more "loots" than "lahts"

Loots isn't correct either. In English the "oo" tends to be long (like in loot). But it should be a short vowel. I don't know any people with English as their first language, that can pronounce German without being recognized immediately. Same is for us Germans when speaking English.

I think the talk about not pronouncing correctely isn't very productive as everybody is captured in her/his own phonetical system.

mollymgr

I would prefer that Gold keeps it commentary free. If we have to have commentary it would be best to tell these commentators to shut it during performances. Gold is ad free so they can totally utilize the time allotted for ads. I can mute them for that part if I choose. The main point being that they don’t need to break something that doesn’t need fixing by finding someone who is not qualified for the job. I understand that NBC had no choice but to use the ISU feed so my comment is really for the ISU.

misskarne

Handy Emergency Backup Mode
My coach says Salko.

The judging convenor in our area is an international judge so we all got slapped with the correct Oiler pronounciation as soon as they got back from Oberstdorf.

I'm not exactly Paul's biggest fan - he's clearly still fairly clueless, although he did surprise me at some points during 4CC (hello, actually remembering Max Aaron). And I hate that he talks through the programs - this is very new, he didn't used to do it for SBS, so it must be an ISU thing.

But I confess myself a little disconcerted at the level of vitriol being spewed towards him. Why, anyone would think he'd admitted to using the cough button to laugh at a skater - oh wait, that was Weir and Lipinski. Sorry. Anyone would think he'd accused a skater of skipping a competition to go viral on social media - oh wait, that was also Weir. Hmm. Anyone would think he'd made it all about him and his fashion and repeated his achievements...oh wait...

I think he's a bit of an idiot, but he's clearly doing his best, and it's got to be hard. Blame the ISU for throwing him so far into the deep end. I'd also like Belinda Noonan to come back.

muffinplus

When (which event) did Belinda Noonan do ISU commentary? I keep seeing people say they want her back but I last heard her commentary during the Olympics

puglover

I am like everyone else, I have my preferences. However, the one thing I just can't stand in a commentator is the catty, mean spirited comments. I didn't hear that from Paul.

PRlady

Cowardly admin
Staff member
I have a friend at NBC who tells me that the sound issues in Korea were maximally bad and Paul was stuck with a permanently open mike the whole time, a nightmare for any broadcaster. So under those circumstances we all should give him a break.

BlueRidge

AYS's snark-sponge
I have a friend at NBC who tells me that the sound issues in Korea were maximally bad and Paul was stuck with a permanently open mike the whole time, a nightmare for any broadcaster. So under those circumstances we all should give him a break.

That's good to know. He didn't stand out at Euros for me, which is basically what I want if there has to be a commentator. I thought he was awful at 4CCs but if that was because of extraordinary circumstances then that's different. I'm sure it was nightmarish for him.

antmanb

I'm probably in the minority but I missed the commentary when i was watching the GP. It took me a while to adjust to no commentary and by the 4th GP I was used to it but I was fairly happy to hear Chris at the GPF :shuffle:

I think I said at the time that I quite liked that they had the microphones on in the KnC for the first couple of GPs so you could hear the coaches and skaters commenting on the slow mos and the performances....by the third they turned them down/off.

Erin

Banned Member
Re the pronunciation of salchow, I'm assuming that the Brits and Americans are both following the similar pronunciation rules that they also use for Moscow and Glasgow where the British pronunciation of the last syllable rhymes with "low" and the American pronunciation rhymes with/is "cow." I'm not sure why this is a big deal.

As for Paul, I find him generally inoffensive in spite of the ignorance, occasionally amusing, and can see where he would become super irritating if you watched every skater of Euros and 4CC on that stream (I did not).

mjb52

Re the pronunciation of salchow, I'm assuming that the Brits and Americans are both following the similar pronunciation rules that they also use for Moscow and Glasgow where the British pronunciation of the last syllable rhymes with "low" and the American pronunciation rhymes with/is "cow." I'm not sure why this is a big deal.

So is it really sol-kva then? 🙃

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information