Paul: yay or nay?

• Yay

Votes: 68 47.6%
  • Nay

Votes: 75 52.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Spun Silver

Even color commentators are supposed to know something about the sport that they don't read off ISU printouts or live scorecards.

maatTheViking

Roxaaannnneeee!!!
He wasn't employed by NBC, he was employed by the ISU.

I didn’t realize and I frankly don’t care? I pay for the NBC stream; andthey choose to supply a stream with his commentary.

Maybe they can’t purchase a non-commented stream, but this does factor into my decision to spend money on it or not.

its 2020 and the times only having one option available are over. It’s not the direction the world is headed in. And good luck spending time and resources taking down unofficial YouTube videos.

if he was a new commentator I’d be inclined to give him a chance (the twitter vitriol is awful), but he has commentated for several season as I understand. one thing is not picking up on the tech detail but anyone can halt chatter over skater’s performances.

I think it was worse at 4CC as the music was lower than at Europeans. I could barely hear the music already.

Barbara Manatee

Paul is good-natured and kind and occasionally quite funny. He seems genuinely interested in the competition. I appreciate all of that. But he doesn't have the background to say anything insightful. So he (and we) are stuck with announcing the obvious.... over and over. How many times did he repeat that the crowd was small, that there was a corona virus scare, or that a skater who fell will be disappointed? I watched Tanith, Tara, and Johnny's coverage last night, and mixed in with the chatter they also pointed out details of technique and coaching and choreography that I didn't see for myself. Tara and Johnny are annoying in many ways, but I learned something and that's what I want from commentary.

Simone411

To Boldly Explore Figure Skating Around The World
Well, it was the first time for me to have NBC Sports Gold, and a very kind generous person here at FSU gave it as a gift to me and I'm forever grateful.

This is the only way for me now to be able to watch all the figure skating available because my package with DirecTV became too expensive and I had to change packages to the cheapest they had. Therefore, I no longer have NBC Sports Channel and the Olympic Channel.

It was the first time for me to hear Paul commentate, and yes there was a problem with the audio at the beginning with 4CC's. They eventually got the problem solved. That is for me at least.

I liked Paul because he amused me and I laughed at how he described some of the technical issues. Maybe he wasn't amusing to some others. But the fact that Paul was commentating didn't bother me one bit because I was just so happy to be able to watch figure skating, and I know a few things about technicalities whether Paul mentioned or discussed them or not. I guess that's all I have to say about Paul.

jmtfti

My preference is forever commentary-free, but if ISU was obligated to have a commentator, as they repeatedly indicated to fans and other media figures like IFS who directly @'ed them, they could do worse. I'd rather have someone who knows his limits and mostly sticks to the surface than Johnny and Tara going on about the non-existent "artistic second mark" and quads or Ashley's fixation with magic. (On the reverse, while I like Ted fine and still think of him as a Skate Canada BC media guy, I find the extent of worship of him by some younger/newer fans also a bit OTT. But he does well staying quiet during a skate.)

PRlady

Cowardly admin
Staff member
The thing about non-celebrity commentators like Paul and Ted is that they're not trying to spotlight themselves. The way Tara and Johnny dress for the cameras, you know that they're still thinking of themselves as the stars, and Johnny in particular has some not-very-well-disguised resentment towards today's biggest male stars. (BTW, I was a Weir fan in the day, liked his skating much better than Evan's.)

So Paul doesn't have Ted's technical knowledge and they both mispronounce names and yes, Ted should tell Paul to stay quiet during the skate. But otherwise, their modest approach is likable.

Doggygirl

Banned Member
I will continue to advocate for silence during the actual performances! My advocacy for silence has more to do with the policies and approach by NBC and ISU, so my issue there is not really with Paul. Here is my order of preference for commentators:

1. None
2. Ted, Tanith/Charlie/Ben
3. Paul
100. Tara

cheremary

So Paul doesn't have Ted's technical knowledge and they both mispronounce names

I was quite amused by some of Paul’s mispronunciations, but he improved as time went on. He started with Bradie Tunnel but eventually corrected to Tennell. With Sui, it was swee (common mispronunciation among English speakers), then soy, see, and finally got there to sway. Nam’s last name never changed from newyen though.

He also announced a lot of difficult names of various coaches and choreographers with gusto, something a lot of commentators never even attempt. I’m not sure if they were all right (some were close!), but I do give him credit for trying.

On the whole, I found him a bit bland but generally good-natured and was surprised by the Twitter outrage, but I also didn’t watch for hours on end. If the ISU uses him again, I do think someone should give him a few tips - judging by his pronunciations, he could be very amenable to suggestions and ways to improve.

MacMadame

Doing all the things
How on earth do you pronounce Salchow? :shuffle: :slinkaway
I believe that chow is pronounced like cow -- i.e., the bovine.

I didn't mind that as much (though it did add to the annoyance factor) because people have accents. The mangling of skaters' names is a big pet peeve of mine though. It's not an accent if you mispronounce it multiple different ways during the competition.

And talking over the performances but not actually saying anything is a big issue with me.

I liked Paul because he amused me and I laughed at how he described some of the technical issues. Maybe he wasn't amusing to some others.
It's one of those things that might amuse at first, but he's very repetitive. Most of the people complaining have heard him at more than one competition. So just see how you feel after you have to listen to him at Worlds when he's said "tumble" for the thousandth time vs. the first hundred. ;)

hanca

Values her privacy
He talks all the time, and mispronounces everything (ex. “Salko” instead of Salchow). It wouldn’t be so bad if he abstained from commenting during the performances.
You know, in some languages Salchow you pronounce as ’Salkov’ or ‘Salkof’. So he is probably not mispronouncing it, he speaks as he is used to.

lurkz2

Jonathan of TSL hit it on the head when he said Paul was like a radio commentator. We don't need to hear about the color of the outfit if we can see it for ourselves. And he doesn't need to talk through the entire program.

barbarafan

My preference is forever commentary-free, but if ISU was obligated to have a commentator, as they repeatedly indicated to fans and other media figures like IFS who directly @'ed them, they could do worse. I'd rather have someone who knows his limits and mostly sticks to the surface than Johnny and Tara going on about the non-existent "artistic second mark" and quads or Ashley's fixation with magic. (On the reverse, while I like Ted fine and still think of him as a Skate Canada BC media guy, I find the extent of worship of him by some younger/newer fans also a bit OTT. But he does well staying quiet during a skate.)
I am not a younger fan...68 and I adore Ted. He does not talk during the skate...only the replay and he knows his skating including dance. Mostly he will say if element is good or need improvement but he will say what was done wrong and even after a bad skate he can always think of encouraging things to say.

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
Most commentators talk too much during the skating. Personally I prefer no commentating during the skate, but for fans or watchers who are not familiar with FS, it is important to listen to the commentator, particularly if he/she points out the technical things e.g. what jump, how, how well done, etc. Paul is obviously not that guy but he is no worse than e.g. Terry Ganon. I am really on Terry’s case but he is lucky enough to have a technical expert next to him. I say the fault belongs to the ISU for not providing that help to Paul. I see no reason to remove him. Just add one expert to the team.

Last edited:

jmtfti

I am not a younger fan...68 and I adore Ted. He does not talk during the skate...only the replay and he knows his skating including dance. Mostly he will say if element is good or need improvement but he will say what was done wrong and even after a bad skate he can always think of encouraging things to say.

I'm not referring to just liking his work, but actively ubering him in the same fan club activity-based way one does a skater. Signs, spamming social media accounts with tweets about him, etc. Although I don't know if anyone's made a prayer candle yet the way I've seen done in honor of some coaches!

MacMadame

Doing all the things
Jonathan of TSL hit it on the head when he said Paul was like a radio commentator.
That's what I was thinking. Can you imagine trying to "watch" skating via radio?!
Is that just a US pronunciation?
I assume so. Or close enough. (It's hard to convey pronunciation via letters) The L is barely pronounced as well. So more like sow-cow. (sow as in a mother pig, not sow as in plant seeds) But not exactly.

Anyway, I've never heard it pronounced any other way on tv or in person. But I also didn't care that much about it because it was close enough and, as I said, everyone has an accent.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information