• Yay

Votes: 68 47.6%
  • Nay

Votes: 75 52.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Hanna

Skating junkie
Just curious, did the Twitter bashing already happen during Euros or just now for 4CC's?

Whatever the case, he really doesn't deserve any of that and I feel bad for him. Twitter can be such a toxic place.

muffinplus

Just curious, did the Twitter bashing already happen during Euros or just now for 4CC's?

Whatever the case, he really doesn't deserve any of that and I feel bad for him. Twitter can be such a toxic place.

I think at least some of the bashing was about the 4CCs stuff - his comments on Jun's hat and Eunsoo Lim

MsZem

I see the sea

I think it was stuff like this, which wouldn't arise to the same extent during Euros?
And also mispronouncing names. Look, I agree that a commentator should make an effort to get the pronunciation right... but I guess I've listened to Cizeron's name get mangled often enough on Eurosport to know that sometimes these things get screwed up.

Hanna

Skating junkie
I think it was stuff like this, which wouldn't arise to the same extent during Euros?
Well if he did say that, then that comment truly is inapproriate (the last sentence, I think it's fine until Macbeth). Oh well.

OK, time to exit this thread and get back to work. :lol:

muffinplus

Yeah I do think that comment is inappropriate but the rest of the complaints seemed a bit over the top

Aceon6

Wrangling the duvet into the cover
I vote Nay, as in “Please NBC, even if you’re using the ISU stream, figure out a way to go commentary free or use Tanith+one.” I don’t dislike Paul, it’s just that Tanith’s work is stronger. Even when paired with Johnny, she seems to keep things under control.

Lizziebeth

I don't remember Paul being so chatty at Euros. At 4CC he started yakking during the skating, which I hate from any commentator. Maybe the ISU told him to talk more??

antmanb

I haven't really watch much of 4CCs yet but my favourite commentator is Chris Howarth, I hope he's back for worlds and future events.

I just don't bother with anything skating or politics on Twitter anymore, people behave in totally unhinged ways that it's not worth trawling through that crap just for the nuggets of good stuff.

litenkyckling

I think he's a problem for ice dance - during Euros he didn't seem to know what the Finnstep was? For me personally I think ID needs at least one knowledgeable person doing commentary. Tanith, Ben and Charlie are all great for it imo. In terms of Eurosport - Chris is ok but Mark Hanretty is really good.

Marco

For me, a good commentator should:

1. have good background info about the skaters
2. stop the introduction right when the skating starts
3. call the jumps and briefly explain what went wrong if unclean
4. point out why certain jumps or spins or steps don't get the points or levels, during replay after after the skating stops
5. since he is at the arena, explain his impression of speed and ice coverage of the skaters

on 1, I hate that he isn't able to explain the situation of the Canadian men or ladies and what this competition means for them for Worlds, or be able to point out that Kaori or Wakaba are attempting these difficult jumps for the first time. And who is or is not going to Worlds...

He also talks non stop and over the music, and I could barely listen to the nuance of the music sometimes. I hate all the chatter at the beginning because that's when the mood is built.

He can't call the jumps until they appear on the score box and can't explain the mistakes (fall, step out, 2 foot, etc) - just saying that the landing is sticky. Not informative. Not able to point out if someone like Yan Han not doing a 3rd combo and not maximizing jump plans.

He should be able to see the calls live (URs, DGs, edges etc) but he very seldom mentioned them. Not informative.

Instead he is just repeating the basic info and the obvious all the time.

My final tick with him is what he said about Cha's hat. So ignorant.

Last edited:

Theoreticalgirl

your faves are problematic
I think this is one time where FS Twitter was on the money.

He talked through the performances, frequently made insulting comments about the skater's abilities or physical appearance, and at numerous times, made it wildly apparent that he didn't know the difference between the elements.

I know we all have our preferences re: commentating, but TBH any one of us could sat in front of the microphone blindfolded and still could have provided more useful information than this clown.

Simone411

To Boldly Explore Figure Skating Around The World
It's yay for me. I'm totally amused with his description of things like using the word, tumble, when a skater falls or when the program or music finally 'perks' up! Yes, it's different and I like change from the same old dull routine that comes from some of the other commentators.

quartz

scratching at the light
I'm just happy that there is so much skating available to us online. :respec:
Maybe its because I only have one ear and choose to concentrate on the music during the performance more, so a lot of the obvious comments get filtered out. I like Paul's snarks, and laughed out loud several times. Of course he said some dumb stuff and mispronounced names - he's human, not a robot.

miffy

Bad Brit
Staff member
I didn’t like him at first but now I find him hilarious. It’s just odd that he stays quiet for the first 2 elements then talks about the first 3 elements all at once.

I like Chris Howarth as he is knowledgeable but I am missing having Chris and Simon together on British Eurosport. Chris alone is too serious! I am still laughing a year on about them accidentally calling Mariah Bell ‘Mariah Carey’ and then having to correct themselves later on :rofl:

alchemy void

Post-its for the win.
This is shaping up to be one of the closest polls in Trash Can history. :watch:

I was amused with just naming the thread "Paul", so I think I'm leaving it as is. :lol:

While I voted "yay", I'll be disappointed if we don't get Chris or Ted for senior worlds. Give Paul one event per year.

I think he's a problem for ice dance - during Euros he didn't seem to know what the Finnstep was? For me personally I think ID needs at least one knowledgeable person doing commentary. Tanith, Ben and Charlie are all great for it imo. In terms of Eurosport - Chris is ok but Mark Hanretty is really good.

This brings up an interesting point regarding the level of work. Others have suggested Ashley Wagner. But who (in their right mind) is willing to give up an entire week, likely for very little pay, and commentate on skating 10 hours a day? For. Every. Single. Skater. I'm willing to wager there aren't many out there up for it.

Also, regarding commentary-free streams, there was a theory during Euros (maybe @Rukia?) that the ISU must have a commentator for the senior-level events broadcast on youtube due to some sort of broadcast rights. If there's someone talking over the event enough of the time, they can claim it as their own content? (That's such a dumbed-down explanation, so I apologize in advance).

I think there's some truth there, as I doubt the ISU is flying out a commentator just for fun. It's probably out of necessity.

rfisher

Let the skating begin
I found him obnoxious, mostly because he talks during the skater's skate. I always dislike it, but it's worse because he doesn't add anything of value.

If he only talked during the replay ("the review") or before the start, I wouldn't mind him.

but honestly if NBC Gold keeps him on for another year, I'm reconsidering my subscription. Casual fans don't sub to all the figure skating competitors, so I think it's reasonable that we want valuable commentary or nothing at all. Paul Alster provides color commentary, but I have FSU for (and for insightful commentary ofc).

I really wish that NBC Gold, being a streaming platform, would simply offer two streams, one with and one without commentary. I don't understand why the commentator is not a separate soundtrack they can just filter out.

I'm not twitter-offended, I'm more just annoyed, and wondering if its just better to go back to youtube after the fact - due to time contraints I rarely watch live anyway.
I rather doubt he was paid by NBC and they piggybacked the feed from the ISU since he was on ISU feeds not affiliated with NBC.

MsZem

I see the sea
This brings up an interesting point regarding the level of work. Others have suggested Ashley Wagner. But who (in their right mind) is willing to give up an entire week, likely for very little pay, and commentate on skating 10 hours a day? For. Every. Single. Skater. I'm willing to wager there aren't many out there up for it.
Jackie Wong, obviously.

MacMadame

Doing all the things
I don't remember Paul being so chatty at Euros. At 4CC he started yakking during the skating, which I hate from any commentator. Maybe the ISU told him to talk more??
I do think he got chattier. He was less annoying at Euros.

I didn’t like him at first but now I find him hilarious. It’s just odd that he stays quiet for the first 2 elements then talks about the first 3 elements all at once.
It's because he has no idea what the different elements are so he's waiting for the feed from the judges/tech panel to tell him.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information