Paul and Islam: "No Matter What"

wickedwitch

Their FD would be fine if it wasn't the same program we always see from them. Frankly, I think their SD is worse. They don't pull off Big Spender at all and their Sing, Sing, Sing is as generic as possible. It's a shame, because I think they could have done an awesome job with a more traditional blues piece, which could play to their smoothness.

They're just a bad match chorography-wise with Gadbois. If they want to keep training in Montreal, I hope they consider using outside choreographers. I suppose it doesn't really matter, because barring an injury they won't place top 3 at Canadians and all the break-ups mean they won't place lower than 4th.

sap5

Their FD would be fine if it wasn't the same program we always see from them. Frankly, I think their SD is worse. They don't pull off Big Spender at all and their Sing, Sing, Sing is as generic as possible. It's a shame, because I think they could have done an awesome job with a more traditional blues piece, which could play to their smoothness.

I think I agree with you here, and after seeing G/P's SD, P/I's SD looks even worse.

Shamus

There is potential the new team of Soucisse and Firus could threaten for 4th place. They are new together but have chemistry and strong skating. Watched them at Quebec sectionals.

lavenderblue

I know anyone is allowed to post in any thread here, including fan threads, but it's sure something that most of the P/I thread's activity for the last few seasons has centered around how poor their prospects are and other discussions of why x or y team is clearly superior. It's really been a great fandom ride with these two.

They're still listed for Shall We Dance on Ice in a couple of weeks despite the Cup of China withdrawal, so hopefully there will be some photos and clips during filming like there were last year.

And here's some stuff that never got posted, if anyone still lurks here regularly:

With Team Canada at the Cup of China banquet

Video, screencaps of skaters entering Cup of China banquet
Skate Canada FD recap w/ quotes
Skate Canada SD recap w/ quotes
Skate Canada practice photos

And a special thanks to Under Armour ;)

bwayrose7

Zazy

I'll always remember seeing Paul/Islam skate for the first time at 2010 Skate Canada. They'd had some mistakes in the SD and when I saw them walking to the arena before the FD Alex had the most fierce, determined look on her face. I knew they'd have a great skate after that and sure enough they did. They were wonderful, got a huge response from the crowd and became instant favourites of mine.

There have definitely been a lot of struggles along the way but also some great moments. Their SD at 2014 nationals could not have been skated any better, and with the Olympics on the line! That whole competition was fantastic for them.

Thanks for everything, Alex and Mitch!

aftershocks

Banned Member
Two For the Ice feature on Paul/Islam: "The End Is Where We Start From" by Jacquelyn Thayer

http://www.twofortheice.com/paul-islam-end-start/ Part 1
"Perseverance: few virtues are more celebrated in sport. For athletes grappling with injury and long odds, it becomes a mantra. But just as fundamental is the confidence to know when it’s time to close a door..."

http://www.twofortheice.com/in-end-beginning-for-paul-islam/ Part 2
"Athletes have spoken of the difficulty in moving from the concretely goal-focused regimen of the sporting life to the more mundane concerns of life after. But in the first months since retirement, the mundane is what’s grounded ice dancers Alexandra Paul and Mitch Islam."

Mitchell Islam: “I think Alex and I both leave the sport knowing exactly who we are as people. I think that sport in general makes you more tolerant, it makes you more respectful. It makes you more critical at the same time. It makes you disciplined..."

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information