Paul and Islam: "No Matter What"

Pratfall

Nope. They'll either surprise us with a late announcement or they're following the same strategy as Hubbell/Donohue and unveiling when they actually skate.

Yeah..curious as I am, I think unveiling when they skate is an excellent strategy for both teams. I'm looking forward to see what the "new" choreographers / coaches do for each.

Pratfall

Alex and Mitch 1 , Hubble / Donohue 2 ( but effectively tied). I like the programs (for both), but feel (especially for P/I) that these must be practice costumes. Alex's ballet skirt too full (too,too much tu-tu). Need to rewatch, but I think this could be good. Some very nice details ... (not an immediate emotional grabber, though.)

skatingfan04

I haven't had a chance to rewatch yet, but on first viewing...gorgeous :D. It's a work in progress, for sure, but wow is that going to be stunning once all of the kinks are ironed out. It looks like a ballet. They've succeeded in bringing a difficult genre to the ice and making it look genuine. Bravo.

skatingfan04

Yeah, the skirt's too fluffy. This program absolutely demands a tutu, but I think Alex should go with one that's shorter and not quite as full. It was distracting from her leg line rather than enhancing it. Mitch needs something more fitted than the baggy shirt and trousers that he was wearing. He more than holds his own at this genre, so I'd like to see his lines shown off as well. Thankfully these are practice outfits. I'm sure the real ones will be beautiful, though I wouldn't be surprised to see Alex keep it simple and elegant.

Boy, when costuming is the only thing that I can complain about, it is a very, very good day!

lavenderblue

Also love the program. It has a lot of room to grow, but it has good potential. It's quite different from the other senior SDs we've seen so far while still holding to more of a traditional waltz feeling.

Dropping this off here. P/I will be doing Nebelhorn, looks like, and say a very little about the new free dance.

AxelAnnie

Like a small boat on the ocean...
Thank you for the link. I really, really like these two. I really, really like this music. And I really, really did not like that program. I found it horribly boring. I watched the entire thing (seemed to take forever) waiting for some big move. Nada.
Please tell me it is just my short comings, and that it is going to grow on me.

Amantide

Thank you for the link. I really, really like these two. I really, really like this music. And I really, really did not like that program. I found it horribly boring. I watched the entire thing (seemed to take forever) waiting for some big move. Nada.
Please tell me it is just my short comings, and that it is going to grow on me.

I'm not sure what you intend for big move but the music isn't quite suited for big moves, IMO, except for the end where they do have the lift. I don't think it's the program per se but their execution was quite poor, which is understandable so early in the season. They need more time and work on this. The program will look different later.

skatingfan04

I already loved the program (I'm a huge classical ballet fan, and I think P/I bring it to the ice in splendid fashion), so I was pleased to see the progress. There's still much refinement needed, of course, but they already looked more solid than they did in August. It's a complex program, and it's still so early in the season. I was very pleased.

More importantly, their levels, PCS and overall score were excellent. Much better that they've had at this point in past seasons. Lots to be happy about!

Andora

Skating season ends as baseball season begins
That was lovely!

But jeez, she just looks more and more like Tessa Virtue as she progresses. :S

Maybe it's because last year seemed like a step back, but Mitch seems to look down less and out more.

barbarafan

I already loved the program (I'm a huge classical ballet fan, and I think P/I bring it to the ice in splendid fashion), so I was pleased to see the progress. There's still much refinement needed, of course, but they already looked more solid than they did in August. It's a complex program, and it's still so early in the season. I was very pleased.

More importantly, their levels, PCS and overall score were excellent. Much better that they've had at this point in past seasons. Lots to be happy about!

I really luv her skating normally but found her ballet sub par. She is not holding her body at all like a ballerina but Mitch was great...great stretch and beautiful movement...I think Marie France needs to work on Alex's body
positions with her. Marie France is magical in classic ballet.

Pratfall

I really luv her skating normally but found her ballet sub par. She is not holding her body at all like a ballerina but Mitch was great...great stretch and beautiful movement...I think Marie France needs to work on Alex's body
positions with her. Marie France is magical in classic ballet.

That's one of the strangest comments I've seen in a long time. You're joking, right?

Alex has lovely balletic posture and many years of ballet training under her belt.

This program is definitely more polished since Quebec and I notice more projection.

I'm a little nervous about the FD because I don't particularly like the music (though the message is perfect for them)..help me through this, skatingfan04... :D..of course a lot depends on the arrangement, cuts, etc.. so I'm looking forward to Saturday.

skatingfan04

I'm also confused. I've always found Alex's ballet styling to be exquisite, and especially so in this program. (That being said, I'm hardly a prima ballerina, so you can take my opinions with a grain of salt. I did study ballet and jazz for ten years myself, so I like to think I'm not a complete idiot when it comes to the subject.) I think it should also be pointed out that Marie-France and Patrice had nothing to do with this program's creation. The choreography was done by Romain Hagenauer, though based on the article I posted a few days back it looks like the ballet instructors at Gadbois had quite a bit of imput as well.

In fact, I don't think I've ever seen Alex look more natural on the ice than she does in this program. It's Mitch who has surprised me here. He's always been elegant and carried himself well, and I know he has a load of dance training, but I didn't expect him to be quite so good. It's so impressive. He's doing much more than just keeping up with Alex in this one. I also agree that their projection was wonderful. It's clearly a style that brings out the best in both of them.

As for the FD, Pratfall...:nopryde:

I'm not thrilled that this is the style they've chosen, so I'm nervous as well. I like the music, but I'm having a hard time picturing it. I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

kwanfan1818

RIP D-10
I agree with barbarafan: while her posture is gorgeous, her free leg is often enough not, especially to the back.

I've never gotten the Tessa Virtue analogy. To me they move very differently.

skatingfan04

Congrats to them for the silver medals! :D

As for the FD, meh. I didn't hate it, didn't love it. It's cookie cutter, but unoffensive. I have absolutely no confidence in D/L as choreographers, and haven't likes a single program of their this season, so in all honesty I thought this would be worse. It shows off their elegance and will probably work decently for them. Certainly not as disastrous as Sinatra was last season. The lifts will be lovely once refined. It's just plain, I guess. They're certainly capable of something much more dynamic and complex than this. I wish they had stuck with Hagenauer, or gone to Zuikowsky or Bourne or someone else for choreography. This had none of the spark that their SD does. Skating wise they looked pretty good. Mitch did a heck of a job recovering from that lift debacle.

Last edited:

nuge

I found it to be zzzzz.I hated the music it didn't have any highlights no light and shade and didn't build to anything.I preferred Last years FD.I love their skating and much prefer them to G/P but they need better FD programme.Wonder what D/L have in store for P/C?

Pratfall

I'll be interested to see that lift when it works ;) ..but good job hanging on, Mitch.

No, I'm not thrilled with this program, either.. This is what has been niggling at me since I heard about the move (but I didn't want to be a whiner, so I was reserving judgement, a bit) - It was D&L who gave them the Sinatra schlock last year.. I had liked the work they did with Hagenauer before, so I hoped they'd work more with him.
Like skatingfan, I found nothing offensive in the program, but it's nothing to write home about. They need some really memorable music, something bigger, or more emotional, or more melodic ... more.. something.

To me , Where Is It Written is too quietly introspective, musically, to really draw in an audience, and the program doesn't compensate choreographically.

It's just OK, but that's far from what I had hoped for them.

ETA: I agree with nuge - I actually prefer last year's replacement program to this. Problems aside, I'm sure they didn't come expecting to challenge Chock and Bates (great program for them) but 20 points back can't make them too happy.

Last edited:

centerpt1

So frustrated. I love this team, but this year I was hoping they would step it up. The FD is beautiful but sedate. It does nothing to move them forward. Mitch just doesn't have any presence here. They are so much better than this. They are so very talented. I love their smoothness and musicality.

Jammers

Part of the problem with P/I is they don't show any personality out there on the ice so nothing about them really stands out.

barbarafan

I agree with barbarafan: while her posture is gorgeous, her free leg is often enough not, especially to the back.

I've never gotten the Tessa Virtue analogy. To me they move very differently.

Thank-you Kwanfan1818...I do not mean to offend but dance is one thing and classical ballet is another ballgame...I am very old and my ballet teacher was from Sadler Wells in England.

I am talking about the finer points. In ballet you are trained to control all the muscles in your body and they are held a specific way. When you move any part of your body the rest of you

aligns itself. Yes her leg just sat there..it was not sharp and tight. In ballet you extend your neck out from your shoulders and you are pushing it up while at the same time you are pushing

your shoulders down. There are so many of these touches that makes ballet ballet. That is what I was missing in Alex's performance and I was looking for this as she is so graceful I thought

she may have a strong ballet background. I mentioned Marie France because she does have ballerina lines when she uses ballet in her performances so I would think she would do some

tweaking.

nuge

Part of the problem with P/I is they don't show any personality out there on the ice so nothing about them really stands out.

I agree with this.They are a beautiful team but they need some :kickass:programmes to stand out.They are gentle beautiful skaters .Even their costumes are quite plain.Think what you will about G/P but they stand out not always in a good way but you remember them:p
I think of the Shibutanis in the same way lovely skating but boring programmes.

Reactions: Tak

Pratfall

Barbarafan... I studied the Royal Academy Ballet method - the same teaching method used by the Sadler's Wells Ballet (now the Royal Ballet) for many years and taught younger students to support my later studies... add to that Jazz, Afro-cuban, Middle eastern and a smattering of Flamenco. No, I never became a star.. but I have a pretty good understanding of the dance.

Alex's positions are very good although I agree that with this program being so new, overall, nothing is as tight as I expect it will be in a month or two. Alex is one of the few ice dancers whose shoulders are always in place.. Carrying the shoulders too high has always been a particular bug bear of mine.. and I'm not shy about criticizing even skaters I like very much on this point (same goes for lack of turn out.tails not tucked and stretch, in general)... In this case, I honestly have no idea what you're talking about, except as I mentioned, a bit of early-season looseness. There is one particular step that they've used before, that would be very difficult translate to ice (at least with a high leg position) because she's moving backwards at the time. They've used it before, so their choreographers must like it. I find it only moderately successful, but I certainly wouldn't say her leg was just hanging there (e.g.)

Of course ,we all can see things differently, and we're all entitled to our opinions. I just found yours , given as a blanket statement , one that i couldn't agree with.

tonkatwofeather

Hmmm. Well. Here goes.

Although I respect the opinions of those who have posted recently on this thread, I'm still enthused about P/I's programs this year. There is a subtle elegance about this team that I think is distinctive and memorable. I may be in the minority here, but as far as I'm concerned this year's programs don't disappoint.

Pratfall

Hmmm. Well. Here goes.

Although I respect the opinions of those who have posted recently on this thread, I'm still enthused about P/I's programs this year. There is a subtle elegance about this team that I think is distinctive and memorable. I may be in the minority here, but as far as I'm concerned this year's programs don't disappoint.

I'm really glad to hear that, and I hope you're in the majority ! :D

skatingfan04

So glad to hear that, tonkatwofeather.:) I can't say I'm disappointed, exactly. The FD is beautiful in the way that shows P/I off at their best. It highlights their elegance, their beautiful flow and lightness, and everything lovely about their skating. There's nothing wrong with it. (In contrast, I felt that the Sinatra program robbed them of the best traits of their skating (flow, close holds, ect.), and that they looked uncomfortable skating it because it didn't utilize all of the things that they were so wonderful at). I suppose I just find this program simple. I believe they're capable of more, and that they deserve more. Something more...dynamic and challenging, I guess. I don't mean to say that the elements are too simple, just that they've proven with programs like W.E. that they can handle more intricacy in-between and handle it well. They deserve more than a standard issue lyrical program. I'm not really disappointed, I just want to see them reach the next level in their skating, and I don't necessarily think this vehicle will achieve that. That being said, there is something to be said about playing to their strengths this season. Last year was tough for them (though I loved the 'In Your Eyes' FD), and I can see why they would have wanted to play to go with a style they are skilled at. With the troubles of last season and the upheaval of a coaching change, they need confidence boosting programs this season. This is a FD that I believe they can do and do well. It seems to be a program they can score well with also (87 for a first attempt with a botched lift is very good), which will be critical to them as the GP season progresses. It's not my favourite choice stylistically, but I understand it.

The SD is a dream. I have always wanted to see a true ballet program brought to the ice, and P/I have done that, IMO (since I do not posses the level of training that either Pratfall or Barbarafan have, I'll cease my discussion of Alex's ballet abilities by simply saying that I find her to be exquisite in this style). If anything, I believe this program has tapped into a new facet of their skating. Something about owning this style in the way that they do had woken up a new level of confidence in them. I eagerly await what this program will look like later in the season once they have truly refined it to it's best.

All in all, I think they've set themselves up for a good GP season. (Though I really hope that them pulling out of the Nebelhorn gala isn't an indication of an injury issue.) I'm very excited for Skate Canada.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information