Papadakis/Cizeron news

victorskid

Happily ignoring ultracrepidarians (& trolls)!
According to reporter Paul Peret via Twitter:

BREAKING SKATING NEWS : ⁦@GabriellaPks ⁩ ⁦@GuillaumeCIZ ⁩ will skip the French Nationals and eventual Europeans in Zagreb for focusing on Worlds in Stockholm in March.

BREAKING SKATING : @GabriellaPks @GuillaumeCIZ were positive with #Covid_19 in July in Montréal and had to stop training for 2 weeks

Cherub721

YEAH!
I expected them to skip Nationals, but a little surprised they've decided already to skip Europeans, if they happen. This could mean not competing at all in the pre-Olympic season (if those even happen) whereas the top American and Russian teams are out there competing in some capacity. I hope we get to see that tango FD because I liked the bits we saw, but I'm not sure if they'd keep that style for Olympics rather than their lyrical style.

mocha-ice

I expected them to skip Nationals, but a little surprised they've decided already to skip Europeans, if they happen. This could mean not competing at all in the pre-Olympic season (if those even happen) whereas the top American and Russian teams are out there competing in some capacity. I hope we get to see that tango FD because I liked the bits we saw, but I'm not sure if they'd keep that style for Olympics rather than their lyrical style.
This article (in French); https://www.lequipe.fr/Patinage-art...es-championnats-du-monde-cette-saison/1193447

seems to imply it’s more a matter of logistics and the possibility of not being allowed back into Canada. It seems to imply Guillaume has some sort of visa but Gabby wasn’t able to get it.

briancoogaert

This is really risky.
Considering the way things are going, I would enter any competition I could !
Putting everything on Worlds is just a risk to skate at zero competition this season, I'm afraid. :(

VGThuy

I think depending on how the GP and Euros goes during the Olympic year, this might be the most unpredictable run for an ice dance gold going into an Olympics.

Colonel Green

This is really risky.
Considering the way things are going, I would enter any competition I could !
Putting everything on Worlds is just a risk to skate at zero competition this season, I'm afraid. :(
Since they'd lose weeks of training time going to Euros in the best case scenario (and in the worst case scenario, be unable to return to their training camp), it's the smartest course available to them.

I'm not particularly convinced either of these events will end up happening, mind you.

Sylvia

TBD
Interview in L'Equipe:

Machine translated excerpts:

“Guillaume, you are currently in France, and Gabriella you are in Montreal, where you have been training since 2014. Why?

Guillaume Cizeron: I wanted to take advantage of this time when there isn't much going on, to see my family, I had not seen them since February. This is possible because I have a resident visa since January. It feels good to be with my family, to see my grandparents, my sisters, my parents. I'm going to be spending my birthday (he'll be 26 on Thursday) with my family, which hasn't happened for a long time. I'm going back next Monday, with a priori two weeks of quarantine in Montreal.

Gabriella Papadakis: With the C0vid, they only let residents in. As I am not, I did not want to take the risk of going to France and not being able to come back. I had the choice between not seeing my family and taking the risk of not returning to Canada. It was a bit of a difficult choice, I miss my family. My grandfather died and I couldn't go to the funeral, my grandmother is confined on her own and I can't go to see her.

Have you been affected by the v*rus yourself?

GP: We both had the C0vid in July, at the same time. We were away from the ice for two and a half weeks. We were first in quarantine because we were in contact with someone who had a fever. Three or four days later, the person had their positive result. We went to get tested but when I went I knew I had it, I had symptoms.

GC Two days after contact, I had a fever. I must have had three days of fever, cough, inflammation of the lungs, loss of smell that I still haven't really recovered. A bit like a big flu.

GP: I had a lot of fever, cough, a little bit of breathing problems.

Was the recovery complicated?
GC: We went back to do exams when we left confinement, there was no contraindication. The doctor had said that the inflammation in the lungs could take a while to go away completely, which caused a little shortness of breath, fatigue. The first two weeks, it was a bit like that.

GP: There was a bit of the C0vid and also the fact of having stayed two weeks without doing anything at all at home.

Bigbird

Interview in L'Equipe:

Machine translated excerpts:

“Guillaume, you are currently in France, and Gabriella you are in Montreal, where you have been training since 2014. Why?

Guillaume Cizeron: I wanted to take advantage of this time when there isn't much going on, to see my family, I had not seen them since February. This is possible because I have a resident visa since January. It feels good to be with my family, to see my grandparents, my sisters, my parents. I'm going to be spending my birthday (he'll be 26 on Thursday) with my family, which hasn't happened for a long time. I'm going back next Monday, with a priori two weeks of quarantine in Montreal.

Gabriella Papadakis: With the C0vid, they only let residents in. As I am not, I did not want to take the risk of going to France and not being able to come back. I had the choice between not seeing my family and taking the risk of not returning to Canada. It was a bit of a difficult choice, I miss my family. My grandfather died and I couldn't go to the funeral, my grandmother is confined on her own and I can't go to see her.

Have you been affected by the v*rus yourself?

GP: We both had the C0vid in July, at the same time. We were away from the ice for two and a half weeks. We were first in quarantine because we were in contact with someone who had a fever. Three or four days later, the person had their positive result. We went to get tested but when I went I knew I had it, I had symptoms.

GC Two days after contact, I had a fever. I must have had three days of fever, cough, inflammation of the lungs, loss of smell that I still haven't really recovered. A bit like a big flu.

GP: I had a lot of fever, cough, a little bit of breathing problems.

Was the recovery complicated?
GC: We went back to do exams when we left confinement, there was no contraindication. The doctor had said that the inflammation in the lungs could take a while to go away completely, which caused a little shortness of breath, fatigue. The first two weeks, it was a bit like that.

GP: There was a bit of the C0vid and also the fact of having stayed two weeks without doing anything at all at home.
And they still were able to perform for us like that!? Speedy and full recovery guys.

dramagrrl

Now it makes total sense how winded they were doing small excerpts of their FD in the Gadbois virtual showcase. I was wondering (and I know others also commented on this) why their stamina seemed so lacking in the bits they showed - they were literally unable to speak after skating about a minute of the program because they were trying to catch their breath. I hope they have a full recovery and don't suffer any lasting negative effects from the virus.

Bigbird

Now it makes total sense how winded they were doing small excerpts of their FD in the Gadbois virtual showcase. I was wondering (and I know others also commented on this) why their stamina seemed so lacking in the bits they showed - they were literally unable to speak after skating about a minute of the program because they were trying to catch their breath. I hope they have a full recovery and don't suffer any lasting negative effects from the *****.
Precisely. They never even said a word. Forward guys!

briancoogaert

Sylvia

TBD
Asher Hill & Dylan Moscovitch chatted with Gabriella on the latest episode of their CBC Sports show (Nov. 15):
... The world champion ice dancer talks surviving the p*ndemic, partnership with Guillaume Cizeron, and how she’s managing a long push to the 2022 Olympics. Spoiler alert: her adorable kitten makes many cameos.

Enchanted

The French Nationals and the Christmas gala have been canceled. There’s only two months to Euros, I’d be very surprised if the competition won’t be canceled.

Wyliefan

Ubering juniors against my will

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information