Papadakis/Cizeron #9 - People Will See Them And Cry

Status
Not open for further replies.

bcash

yes, i feel this. i love the lightness and fun of this piece and worry that the fd may be too dramatic or over-thought. but, they've made everything else work before so i have some hope my worries are for nothing!

I was thinking that "cold" could be a criticism, since Romain thought to pre-empt it. This is certainly not the narrative "storytelling" type of program that old-timers like to love.

sus2850

Is Forest Blakk well known? I just read he apparently lives not that far from my city.

Miloune

OK so P/C clearly are GREAT dancers but I'm not a big fan of the "music" choice yet. But damn they know how to move!

EDIT : and the all in black outfits make it so serious... Very conceptual.

Actually, after a second viewing, it worked better on me! With good camera work it's gonna be beautifuuul.

Last edited:

MsZem

I see the sea
FD now on Youtube:

And if anyone here is on Twitter, feel free to share it with Forest Blakk, he really wants to see the program :)

ETA: @Braulio has posted a version with better resolution:

Last edited:

deegee

FD now on Youtube:

And if anyone here is on Twitter, feel free to share it with Forest Blakk, he really wants to see the program :)

ETA: @Braulio has posted a version with better resolution:
ok... not as bad as i feared. will probably grow on me. i don't really care for this spoken word piece, but i the music itself isn't terrible. some of the movement reminds too much of those trite so you think you can dance contemporary numbers. maybe they'll fix those.

bcash

ok... not as bad as i feared. will probably grow on me. i don't really care for this spoken word piece, but i the music itself isn't terrible. some of the movement reminds too much of those trite so you think you can dance contemporary numbers. maybe they'll fix those.

Hehehe that Sam C. guy's (bad) influence.

Viscaro

I am also skeptical about the FD music choice so I hope once again to be proven wrong.

Yep I have been proven wrong, I worried it would be too 'whale sounds'-like but it wasn't. Curious to see how it'll evolve !

GreenGan

It's been two years now, I'm liking their RD more than their FD. Who wouldv'e thought ?
This FD has some nice moment, but I am a little fed up : they use different language, but the words don't change... Go to Carol Lane next year, please !!

muffinplus

It's been two years now, I'm liking their RD more than their FD. Who wouldv'e thought ?
This FD has some nice moment, but I am a little fed up : they use different language, but the words don't change... Go to Carol Lane next year, please !!

Ain't happening :lol:

cocotaffy

Fetchez la vache... mais fetchez la vache !
Didn't know what to think at first but upon rewatch, it is such an intense, dense, contained program. Love the shapes they're creating and appreciate their effort to move away from the construction of their other FDs like in the RD. Both have a fresher look as a result. This is more cerebral and abstract than anything they've done. That lift where she wraps herself around his neck is a beauty. They have clearly worked hard on this hence being under prepared for the RD which is what I suspected because that FD must have been quite the program to put together.
They have two great programs this year, let see what the judges are gonna think.

IceIceBaby

The free dance is definitely a program that will grow through the season. I like that they push ice dance and bring more modern style to it. I need to rewatch it many times, there's so many details. And the black costumes accentuate their beautiful lines.

Miloune

The contrast between the RD and the FD couldn't be greater 😆.
I agree with @cocotaffy they put a lot of work into this program and it shows. The dance just flows, and it ends before you realise it's been 4 mins. The fact that they manage to do this to me even with this music is magical lol.

MsZem

I see the sea
This is what pushing the sport forward is all about that we lacked in the years of Zueva/Shpilband.
I agree in part - as noted in the French news thread, conceptually Blanc/Bouquet went there first. But P/C are obviously much stronger skaters than B/B, so they can take this to a different level of performance entirely.

Interestingly, Karine Arribert mentioned in an interview that Shpilband was among the few people who did get what they were trying to do in their Grand Corps Malade program. But appreciating something doesn't mean you can or will do it yourself...

millyskate

I love, love, love the FD. I think they had to do that RD just to show they can do light-hearted well if they need to. It kind of buys the opportunity to go abstract with the FD. This is a much more interesting program than the past 2 seasons, I think their best since "To build a home". It will be interesting to see with high-quality film and with the final costumes - I have a suspicion these aren't it? I love that they've stopped trying to dumb themselves down with this program, which is what I felt had happened with the past 2 FDs.

cocotaffy

Fetchez la vache... mais fetchez la vache !
I love, love, love the FD. I think they had to do that RD just to show they can do light-hearted well if they need to. It kind of buys the opportunity to go abstract with the FD. This is a much more interesting program than the past 2 seasons, I think their best since "To build a home". It will be interesting to see with high-quality film and with the final costumes - I have a suspicion these aren't it? I love that they've stopped trying to dumb themselves down with this program, which is what I felt had happened with the past 2 FDs.
Yes it's a bit like they picked up where they left Oddudua and even then, they had to dumb it down. I still wished they had skated the whole thing on Oddudua not adding the Olafur Arnalds piece.

millyskate

Yes it's a bit like they picked up where they left Oddudua and even then, they had to dumb it down. I still wished they had skated the whole thing on Oddudua not adding the Olafur Arnalds piece.
Yes, even with Gabriella's pre-season interview - it's like they're finally allowing themselves to be themselves. They're intellectuals, and to the heck if people aren't ready for it.

Bigbird

Yes, even with Gabriella's pre-season interview - it's like they're finally allowing themselves to be themselves. They're intellectuals, and to the heck if people aren't ready for it.

That FD is complex, seamless, original and unusual. I really need to see the whole thing though at a better angle to truly enjoy it. I just kept feeling that I was missing something while watching it. With the better version they come in at spots and it's lovely and then they zoom out again, so that it's just out of reach. When is their first competition. P/C "admirers" will find comparisons less than favourable.

chantilly

I need to see it again but I love what they’re doing but it feels a little less dance-y. The movement is beautiful, but it feels more like a series of movements. I’m not a massive fan of the stop and start at the beginning. I think the twizzles could add some choreography.

Not sure. I really like it, but I want to feel it as well as appreciate it.

But I think something this outside the box takes time to marinate.

But I think this is probably the best year ever for them in terms of programs and exploring versatility.

I think they’re simply in a class of their own and are untouchable even possibly with a mistake.

Last edited:

ballettmaus

I agree in part - as noted in the French news thread, conceptually Blanc/Bouquet went there first. But P/C are obviously much stronger skaters than B/B, so they can take this to a different level of performance entirely.

Haven't French ice dancers always had the reputation of being unconventional and pushing the sport? Obviously, they had to do it in a different way under the 6.0 system and I think, it was much more restrictive, but P/C are continuing what seems to be a long-standing tradition - and they're doing a fantastic job. I couldn't think of a better couple to do it!

Aussie Willy

Hates both vegemite and peanut butter
Wow. I am with others that I am probably not drawn into it as the RD. But it is like watching a contemporary dance where as the viewer you are being challenged. This is definitely different from what they have done or anyone else is doing. I think people are going to have trouble with the choice of music. But they were telling a story through the words and illustrating the words through their movement without trying to make it too obvious.

The skating is superb and the transitions seamless. As someone else said it did not feel like four minutes.

But hell, they are such superb skaters they could skate to Baby Shark and you would still be mesmorised. I now dare someone to put Baby Shark over the start of the their RD.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information