Papadakis/Cizeron #5 - We're In Love With The Shape Of You

Status
Not open for further replies.

aftershocks

Banned Member

I love this quote by Gaby: "When you are clear with your intentions and your own feelings, then the audience sees them as well. That connection can go very deep."

That's great wisdom, and it's true for every endeavor, and about life itself. Just change 'the audience' to 'the universe.'

It's also insightful to hear them both speak about how important the music is to them, and to how they convey emotion through their skating.

Guillaume: "We listen to a lot of music, and try to grasp what it has to tell us, and where it meets our own vision."

Gaby: "... we try to understand [the music], so that our interpretation is not placed onto the music but rather is inspired by it. We work with the music; we try to not just use it. We collaborate with it."

Guillaume: "The more we listen to that piece of music, the more we know it, and the more we can understand its details... A lot still escapes us, but the more we go, the more we learn how to tame it and to play with it and its nuances."

Their creative process is so interesting and their skating is so inspiring.

Anyasnake

Thank you very much. If you have time, can you summarise the main points, please? Or someone else? Thank you in advance. :)

- Competitions are "horrible", you push everyone to be at his best and judges make the call. Huge emotionnal charge.

-Patrice : "When my athletes lose it makes me upset, the one who wins does not need my attention. The one who hasn't got the best performance, who is crushed, needs my support - makes the job harder" (because there is always someone winning and the other losing, it's crushing)

-Marie-France : "I meditate, I need to take care of myself not to keep the stress that is not mine" (some Marie-France realness here)

-Every competitors gets the same amount of time, they thought about everything. they do NOT compare them, they "don't need to" it's "useless". They are trained to be the best version of themselves : "If Scott & Tessa try to do what Gabriella and Guillaume do best, they won't make it. And vice-versa".

-"Earth and Fire" vs "Air and Water". Tessa&Scott : everyone is captivated by their connexion. They are so powerful, dynamic, great attack. Gaby&Gui : Exceptionnal gliding quality, interpretation very strong, very contemporary never really seen before in the sport, it's like they float on the ice".

-MF : choreography, Patrice : Technical, Romain : precision of movements.

-One day a week : P/C, V/M and H/D share the ice, that way you cannot have a lazy day, competitors gives you a "kick in the butt", it stimulate competition - everything was thought before the Games.

-A bit a P/C history. In 2014, when they 1st came to Montreal they did not have anything to do but skate, so they reached the top by working so hard. And another time in 2016, it creates great bonds between coaches and skaters. MF : "I discovered myself as a choreographer with them"

-A bit of V/M history. Connection = Mentors for them. And it did not go very well with their coaches in 2014 (Marina), Patrice found himself helping them during the Games (he was there for Hurtado/Diaz), be there for them. Natural choice to train with MF and Patrice for their comeback.

-Gaby&Gui were "happy to train with them" + "**** our World title is in Jeopardy". P/C found a life coach, brought internal strengths. The 2 teams get along well, Tessa and Guillaume have a similar personnality, Gaby and Scott have affinities. "They respect each other, they do high 5 when they run into each other at the rink".

-MF : "There is going to be World records at the Games for sure. We might see a perfect score for one of the 2 teams"
"Only one face-off left, and I am very happy about that !" :D

Isabelle.G

- Competitions are "horrible", you push everyone to be at his best and judges make the call. Huge emotionnal charge.

-Patrice : "When my athletes lose it makes me upset, the one who wins does not need my attention. The one who hasn't got the best performance, who is crushed, needs my support - makes the job harder" (because there is always someone winning and the other losing, it's crushing)

-Marie-France : "I meditate, I need to take care of myself not to keep the stress that is not mine" (some Marie-France realness here)

-Every competitors gets the same amount of time, they thought about everything. they do NOT compare them, they "don't need to" it's "useless". They are trained to be the best version of themselves : "If Scott & Tessa try to do what Gabriella and Guillaume do best, they won't make it. And vice-versa".

-"Earth and Fire" vs "Air and Water". Tessa&Scott : everyone is captivated by their connexion. They are so powerful, dynamic, great attack. Gaby&Gui : Exceptionnal gliding quality, interpretation very strong, very contemporary never really seen before in the sport, it's like they float on the ice".

-MF : choreography, Patrice : Technical, Romain : precision of movements.

-One day a week : P/C, V/M and H/D share the ice, that way you cannot have a lazy day, competitors gives you a "kick in the butt", it stimulate competition - everything was thought before the Games.

-A bit a P/C history. In 2014, when they 1st came to Montreal they did not have anything to do but skate, so they reached the top by working so hard. And another time in 2016, it creates great bonds between coaches and skaters. MF : "I discovered myself as a choreographer with them"

-A bit of V/M history. Connection = Mentors for them. And it did not go very well with their coaches in 2014 (Marina), Patrice found himself helping them during the Games (he was there for Hurtado/Diaz), be there for them. Natural choice to train with MF and Patrice for their comeback.

-Gaby&Gui were "happy to train with them" + "**** our World title is in Jeopardy". P/C found a life coach, brought internal strengths. The 2 teams get along well, Tessa and Guillaume have a similar personnality, Gaby and Scott have affinities. "They respect each other, they do high 5 when they run into each other at the rink".

-MF : "There is going to be World records at the Games for sure. We might see a perfect score for one of the 2 teams"
"Only one face-off left, and I am very happy about that !" :D
Thank you very much! :cheer2:Interesting interview, I always wondered what it's like to train such perfect teams. The remark about similar personality of Tessa and Guillaume and Gabbi and Scott doesn't surprise me, to be honest.
There are interesting parallels between these two teams, I think. Some people don't like to hear this as they prefer only one of the them, but I'd say they resemble each other in many aspects. :)

Anyasnake

Thank you very much! :cheer2:Interesting interview, I always wondered what it's like to train such perfect teams. The remark about similar personality of Tessa and Guillaume and Gabbi and Scott doesn't surprise me, to be honest.
There are interesting parallels between these two teams, I think. Some people don't like to hear this as they prefer only one of the them, but I'd say they resemble each other in many aspects. :)
I'm not surprised by the personalities at all either ;)
Both teams are very driven, well P/C learn to be even more driven with V/M being here who had 2 Olympic cycles under their belts already. But the article is fascinating. What I like is that they don't do it the "fake way" : the coaches are freaking out and are so stressed they can't wait for this to be over, the skaters are crushed when they don't win... It's not all glitter and Hollywood. Work your a$$ off or get passed, period. I cannot imagine the 3 top teams on the ice at the same time, it must be "tense" in a skating POV. Glad that there is respect AND the coaches are here for them - enough of them to split if needed. According to Patrice, V/M did not feel like that in 2014 and that must have been devastating psychologically.

sap5

What's interesting is that there were rumours all season that all these teams train separately, and yet here it says that they train together at least once every week. So how did that other rumour get started, and why did it persist for so long when we heard from the skaters themselves at various points during the season that it isn't true?

Anyasnake

What's interesting is that there were rumours all season that all these teams train separately, and yet here it says that they train together at least once every week. So how did that other rumour get started, and why did it persist for so long when we heard from the skaters themselves at various points during the season that it isn't true?
Actually they train separately, just apparently one day of the week it's everyone on the ice. Also, it was said that a separation was made during the summer (rarely having the 3 teams at the same time on the ice). So the majority of the time they are not together, just when it needs to be (when you are close to competition too).
The skaters have said that they don't often share the ice together (P/C), I'm guessing it was during the summer that they practically did not run into each other ?

levineismine

I believed in Hubbell&Donohue before it was cool
I guess during the season the schedule is also so different that they are rarely there at the same time, as they are usually gone one week for every challenger/gp event/nationals etc.
I can confirm that they sometimes train together, for example before the GPF.

ballettmaus

It makes for a much better story and gives those who want to push it a chance to push the "they're rivals not friends" angle. Friendships and friendliness are boring and don't sell ;)

butyrskafanatic

Banned Member
I think one key thing with Pap&Ciz and Virtue & Moir is it seems Romain is the main coach of Pap&Ciz and Lauzon for V&M. So that makes it even easier to make sure both feel like they are getting enough attention as while the whole coaching team coaches both, each have a different top coach.

Isabelle.G

I think it's been already said by ballettmaus. The showdown between these two teams has been one of the main topics last season, if not the main one. So, logically, just a rumour about them possibly not training together for the Olympic season was seen as a juicy news adding even more interest to their showdown for this season and to the ice dance field itself. I don't think they never trained together and now someone wanted to save the situation and started mentioning that sometimes they met. E.g., there was a video about P/C from the French tv and it included scenes from the rink in which both V/M and P/C were on the ice.

What is your opinion?

Enchanted

I'm quoting myself it seems, but can't edit my original post anymore. I didn't really have time to read this properly until now.

One thing that really impressed me in this interview, is that they are still trying to find time for education even if it's difficult. Guillaume is studying sports management for third year. Gabriella is studying languages and literature for first year. She has been studying longer than a year but haven't had time for the exams.

In the middle of big success it might be easy to lull yourself to think you don't need to study but life is so unpredictable that it's always good to have an alternative plan.

Anyasnake

Ed Sheerhan just won a Grammy for the Shape of You, so that has to be good. :)
Haha, given how the song is immensly popular that is not a surprise... it's the most streamed song on spotify, ever ! And "Thinking out loud" is the 6th I think. Plus Shape of You won one of the top prize in a very popular Korean Award show last December, IIRC. (You won't find anyone my age not knowing those songs :rofl: That's why I'm always puzzled when people say they don't like it, because of its popularity :confused:)

nimi

I love it. It is on in the supermarket on the M and S advert and a busker was singing it when I went into town :D All good signs:p
Here's a gayageum (trad. Korean instrument) cover of Shape of You to get you in the mood for Pyeongchang!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VEj0SR4DyXo

I still hate Shape of You :D:revenge:
Here's a truly unlistenable cover version of Shape of You for you to hate even more!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TLeVOIbx784

Whenever I walk into M & S I start humming it. :D
Here's a Google translate version of Shape of You (aka I Like Shapes) with superior lyrics for you to hum along!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rte07sl3Vf4

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information