Papadakis CIzeron #4 - Happiness Does Not Wait

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cachoo

Philip Hersh wrote a piece for Icenetwork where he has some lovely words about Gaby and Guillaume's performance:

"Legendary Russian pairs coach Tamara Moskvina likes to cite this proverb: "Some like the preacher, some like the preacher's wife, and some like the preacher's daughter."
The meaning behind that proverb, that taste is individual, always seems best applied to ice dance.
So it was in Helsinki, where the power and passion of Canadians Tessa Virtue and Scott Moir barely prevailed over the refinement and subtlety of France's Gabriella Papadakis and Guillaume Cizeron.
Minor flaws in the French team's short dance dug them a hole too deep to climb out of despite a winning free dance of truthfully Ode-on-a-Grecian-Urn beauty.
Yes, I understand and appreciate the technically based judging system has given dance some sporting chops instead of it being viewed as more of an entertaining sideshow. In my mind, though, Papadakis and Cizeron deserved even bigger scores for having unmatched, riveting and utterly breathtaking qualities in the free dance.
With no jumps, dance has a bigger entertainment aspect than any of the sport's other disciplines. Shouldn't there have been a goosebumps bonus for the final 90 seconds of the French couple's free dance? "

I like the idea of a goosebump PCS, fans are already going crazy about politicking and backdoors conspiracy, this could take it to another level :D

Thanks for posting this. Just when I can't find the words Phil does and I love the "winning free dance of truthfully Ode-on-a-Grecian-Urn beauty." I'm already excited for next year.

marbri

Hey, Kool-Aid!
We can't reach that conclusion. Their circular step sequence was level 3 both at the GPF and at Four Continents, so we can't say that it would have autmatically been level 4 at the worlds.

They were actually very lucky to receive level 3 at all, because Scott's stumble was at the exit of a twizzle, which therefore shouldn't count and he didn't have another twizzle in the step sequence. Also, their GoE was pretty high from most judges.

In any case, Virtue and Moir are taking their skating to a whole new level IMO. Their knee bend and their flow is improved, they are using their upper body much more than before - which makes everything more difficult - and Scott is going for a level of expression I didn't know he had in him. :respec: All this inevitably takes its toll.

Virtue and Moir hadn't reached their full potential IMO and were not likely to ever do that with their previous coaches who kept them at the same level year after year. How lucky for us fans that they are willing to put themselves through all this hard work. If only they had done it directly after their Olympic gold!

Pretty sure he does have a twizzle earlier in the step sequence as does Tessa. From broadcast I watched it was stated they had done all the required steps and turns before the exit of that final twizzle.

Asli

Pretty sure he does have a twizzle earlier in the step sequence as does Tessa. From broadcast I watched it was stated they had done all the required steps and turns before the exit of that final twizzle.

If you say so! Sorry for having been too lazy to check.

Anyway, IMO the circular step sequence was V/M's weakest element in the previous years, especially when it was clockwise. This year's was counter-clockwise, but still their improvement in the variety of the footwork and the depth of their edges is really impressive.

VGThuy

I think it will almost certainly be China and France. Virtue/Moir for Canada and Japan and then Shibutanis for US and Russia.

That would definitely follow the past two seasons. In the 2015-2016 season, P/C (the gold medalists) were slotted for their home GP and NHK; Chock/Bates (silver) home GP and Cup of China; and Weaver/Poje (bronze) home GP and Rostelecom Cup. 2016-2017, P/C (gold) home GP and NHK; Shibs (silver) home GP and Cup of China; C/B (bronze) Skate Canada and Rostelecom Cup. Obviously, C/B had Skate Canada instead of a home GP due to the Shibs and C/B both being Americans.

cocotaffy

Fetchez la vache... mais fetchez la vache !
Q&A in French https://video.lequipe.fr/video/patin...adakis/x5i5lvc

Quick translation: The whole Q&A is based on "the day when ..."

1- The day when you got extremely crossed at each other
They don't fight so much maybe once a year. Generally it's when they can't do sg. So they blame each other, don't talk for a short while and then just get on with it.
(they are notoriously not the fighting type and seems to get along really well on the ice)

2- The day when you thought about a world title for the first time
Guillaume recalls talking with this mom in the car a long time ago saying his objective was to compete at the World Junior Championship. But in the end this type of thinking comes gradually.
Gaby says the year they became World Champion they didn't expect it so they didn't have time to think about it much as it came much faster than they could have ever anticipated.

3-The day when you got the biggest fright on the ice
They've never had any impressive accident. Every time Gaby had a problem, Guillaume was not there. Concerning the commotion, the fall was not impressive so they didn't get scared. They realized the seriousness of the injury later. Once, Gaby remembered a scary fall in Lyon from a back flip.

4- The day when you missed a training session for shady reasons
Guillaume jokes saying they're not about to confess now in front of the camera. Mainly they can be late because it's hard to get up especially when they were young and they had to be on ice at 6.00 AM.

5- The day when you won't skate together anymore (the cutest bit imo)
Gaby: For sure it'll happen one day or another
Guillaume: no, never :swoon:
Gaby says it'll be a big unknown because they've always skated together. It also means stopping their career and right now, it's hard to even imagine it. They'll have to figure out what they want to do with their lives. (great news for us, it might mean they'll keep on after the Olympics)

cocotaffy

Here is a new fan video of their FD practice at Worlds. It's an interesting one, aside from some blurry moments, because the person was sitting opposite the judges seats. So we get to see the program from a new angle starting with finally seeing Cizeron's expression during the opening pose.
Being a video nerd (or a desperate Uber might be more accurate but more painful to acknowledge :shuffle: ) as I am, I also notice from the ISU FD practice video Yuzuru Hanyu popping right at the beginning of P/C's FD practice and leaving right at the end. A new fan ? Me like to think yes :D

cocotaffy

She was swing dancing before last season began.
Yes, which makes me think she might have been the driving force behind the swing SD choice while Guillaume was the driving force behind the FD, finding that gorgeous and interesting cuban piece of his.
I know they'll go back to something a bit more secure for next season but I hope they'll keep on with this FD passionate/very intense mood. Watching back to back Mozart, Build a home and Oddudua, it's clear they cranked up the intensity so much. They skated much faster, with much more power and raw energy/emotions in this FD, especially at Words. It's clear they're still young and on an uphill learning curve. Physically, they're both getting stronger, esp. Guillaume. The physicality shown in this FD is very impressive which is beautifully highlighted by his short sleeves top IMO. I was unsure about it at the beginning of the season but it was an excellent choice which made him stand out among the sea of guys dressed in plain dark tops. It also blurred the lines between the two of them giving even more the impression they skate as one entity constantly breaking up to come back as a whole throughout the program. I love all three FD as well as the Woodkid but this last one for me looks like it was very personal to them and they seemed to have dug much deeper to bring it to life. Never forget :drama::D

cocotaffy

I think it might be for their new EX, they tend to work with Chouinard for those and they definitely need a new one. I think they participate to a show in Japan in June.

ballettmaus

That's not as good as I hoped they would be right off the bat, but it's so early and there's plenty of time to work on things.

To be fair, we don't know what stage the choreography is at but Gaby didn't smile until the very end, usually a sign that you're still preoccupied with thinking about the steps. (And we don't even know what the choreography is for)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information