Papadakis/Cizeron #10 - Waacking All The Way To Beijing

Status
Not open for further replies.

DBZ

Oh, I think they are done after Worlds. If they continue, great.

Wow, it sort of pained me to read that and think they might retire after this season.
I don't want them to go. I feel like they have so much left to give to competitive ice dance and can push it forward even further.

But I totally get if they are done. It's been a wonderful career for them, and I will miss them.

Once in a generation team.

ballettmaus

Didn't they say that it was difficult to stay motivated when everything shut down in 2020? They have won a number of World and European titles, they've got an Olympic silver medal and now their well-deserved gold. I wouldn't be surprised if they find that they have achieved everything that they can achieve. Of course, they can probably still grow as skaters (it feels like they have an infinite potential to grow) but with C19 still affecting competitions, I'm not sure that it's enough of a motivator to continue. Especially if they have other interests they can/want to pursue.

I also don't believe that they'll make a decision before they have had time to let it all sink in. This is the sort of decision that I don't think you can make right away but that you have to make when things have calmed down a little and you've have some time to reflect on it all and get some perspective.

Bigbird

Didn't they say that it was difficult to stay motivated when everything shut down in 2020? They have won a number of World and European titles, they've got an Olympic silver medal and now their well-deserved gold. I wouldn't be surprised if they find that they have achieved everything that they can achieve. Of course, they can probably still grow as skaters (it feels like they have an infinite potential to grow) but with C19 still affecting competitions, I'm not sure that it's enough of a motivator to continue. Especially if they have other interests they can/want to pursue.

I also don't believe that they'll make a decision before they have had time to let it all sink in. This is the sort of decision that I don't think you can make right away but that you have to make when things have calmed down a little and you've have some time to reflect on it all and get some perspective.
Selfishly I just want to see that tango they choreographed as well as the Artist RD. But they could be show numbers, right?

yuna13fr

It's on Pcie twitter, l'équipe last part of the article about P/C's career.
The coexitence with V/M wasn't easy for them and they had a conversation about it with their coaches before this season

bcash

Phil Hersh's piece on the longevity of partnerships in Ice Dance

For NBC.com

The French couple’s free skate in Beijing was a marvel of interpretation, both physical and emotional, to Gabriel Faure’s hauntingly beautiful “Elegy” for cello and piano. It includes phrases of lingering melancholy and nostalgic happiness, but the underlying theme is one of anguish.

Conveying that on skates requires command of making the blades flow effortlessly, the skill to handle inventive variations on the basic movements of ice dance and the emotive quality to highlight them.

There were broad strokes, like Cizeron, 27, carrying his partner across his knees, as if to bear the weight of her emotional pain. There were subtle gestures, like Papadakis, 26, brushing a hand past her face, as if covering a troubling memory, while doing an ice dance pirouette known as a twizzle.

Making all those movements meaningful is critical to success in ice dance, which has no jumps with which to easily differentiate teams. Its impression demands a togetherness only time can create.

"Ice dance is one of the most complex sports I know," Cizeron said. "You have to be a great skater, a great team, a great dancer in pretty much every style of dance that exists and very athletic as well."

bcash

The coexitence with V/M wasn't easy for them and they had a conversation about it with their coaches before this season
Yeah I saw a couple tweets about that. They wanted to clear their mind as to whether M-FD and PL had favored their competitors over them four years ago? Curious to read the original article.

Bigbird

Yeah I saw a couple tweets about that. They wanted to clear their mind as to whether M-FD and PL had favored their competitors over them four years ago? Curious to read the original article.
Brave or unnecessary? Difficult to say. To my untrained eye it was obvious and I wouldn't want to have that conversation.

Fadeevfanboy

It is always going to be a competitive situation with so many top teams at the same rink. Romain always seemed to be P&C's main coach despite that he isn't top coach at the rink and I think P&C always liked that as they knew him for years even before he came to Montreal and have great chemistry, and I think Lauzon was V&M's, so based on that yeah Lauzon probably slightly favored V&M, but Romain definitely favored P&C. So I wouldn't call it an unfair situation. All the coaches still supported both teams and all the teams at the rink.

GreenGan

It is always going to be a competitive situation with so many top teams at the same rink. Romain always seemed to be P&C's main coach despite that he isn't top coach at the rink and I think P&C always liked that as they knew him for years even before he came to Montreal and have great chemistry, and I think Lauzon was V&M's, so based on that yeah Lauzon probably slightly favored V&M, but Romain definitely favored P&C. So I wouldn't call it an unfair situation. All the coaches still supported both teams and all the teams at the rink.
Romain is top coach at IAM. He was asked to go to Montreal by MFD and PL and brought with him some teams, including P/C. They always worked together as 3. I think there was an article about the top 3 coaches there in.. 2018 ? It said even though the 3 coaches were really good on every side of ice dance, MFD was more the choreographist one, PL the technician and Romain was more specialized in the presentation/packaging if I recall well.

When you go to the website of IAM, Romain is presented as head coach. https://www.iceacademyofmontreal.com/

Fadeevfanboy

Romain is top coach at IAM. He was asked to go to Montreal by MFD and PL and brought with him some teams, including P/C. They always worked together as 3. I think there was an article about the top 3 coaches there in.. 2018 ? It said even though the 3 coaches were really good on every side of ice dance, MFD was more the choreographist one, PL the technician and Romain was more specialized in the presentation/packaging if I recall well.

When you go to the website of IAM, Romain is presented as head coach. https://www.iceacademyofmontreal.com/

Thanks. Did not know Romain was top dog at IAM, even over MFD and PL. Good for him. I love all 3 of them. Such good people and great coaches. I do think they try their best for all their teams, and they try to use all their coaches to balance out the attention for everyone as best they can. Even the less talented teams.

synian

So here is a numbers of french interviews, all in french but with a resume below the videos.... some are hilarius, funny, etc ... enjoy !! (you probably will need a vpn in order to see the videos ...and sorry there is advertissement before for about 40 secondes...

Last edited:

Judy

Thanks. Did not know Romain was top dog at IAM, even over MFD and PL. Good for him. I love all 3 of them. Such good people and great coaches. I do think they try their best for all their teams, and they try to use all their coaches to balance out the attention for everyone as best they can. Even the less talented teams.
I have always liked Romain.

Bigbird

I kind of disagree. Both teams had their plus and their minus. Had they not had that costume problem, they'd have won four years ago.
Agree to disagree. But I just got this vibe that Patch and Marie were Team Canada and Romain Team France. And they almost did it. If I were them I would have just suffered silently and forgiven them. Nobody is perfect. Even the best of us have certain biases.

Rafter

When I open up that page, MFD is first, with RH after PL.

Bigbird

Even if it was just their perception, if they felt it was necessary, I think it was necessary. You need to be able to trust your coach 100%. If you don't believe they are 100% behind you and have your best interest at heart, you'll have difficulties accepting their corrections.
I guess. Sometimes though you simply don't want to hear the answers and intuitively you already know the answers. And sometimes the other simply says what you want to hear. But yeah, you have to follow you gut instinct sometimes.

Andora

Skating season ends as baseball season begins
Agree to disagree. But I just got this vibe that Patch and Marie were Team Canada and Romain Team France. And they almost did it. If I were them I would have just suffered silently and forgiven them. Nobody is perfect. Even the best of us have certain biases.

I think it was less Marie & Patch were "Team Canada" and more they had their own personal relationship to V&M, quite like Romain had his own relationship with P&C vs. being Team France. I'm glad both top teams had top coaches in their respective corners, even if it was bias-driven somewhat. And in the end, even if it was uncomfortable for P&C, I believe it made them better in the long term to have trained with skaters actually at their level, whereas the rest of their training mates are just... not. (nor any competitors)

I love the edge and strength Gabi & Guillaume have brought to their skating since 2018, and I'm only sad bullshit politics led us to think a horribly packaged Russian team were ever actual competition to them.

Bigbird

I love the edge and strength Gabi & Guillaume have brought to their skating since 2018, and I'm only sad bullshit politics led us to think a horribly packaged Russian team were ever actual competition to them.
This. All of this. This is what cost H/D their silver medal. Hope they can improve on their placement, H/D that is and at least get the Silver at Worlds.

Orm Irian

If I were them I would have just suffered silently and forgiven them. Nobody is perfect. Even the best of us have certain biases.
I think for the sake of Guillaume's and Gabi's sense of security heading into Beijing they're probably glad to have addressed any lingering issues and resolved matters like the grownups they all are. During an Olympic season is probably the worst time for trust issues to rear their heads again because they weren't handled properly the first time.

Alilou

Ubercavorter
Is there a link to the article? I'd like to read it. Or to the tweets. TYIA

bcash

The tweets I saw were not substantive either. The three-part series on French Ice Dance is in L'Equipe, which as a paywall upfront. There's also a piece in the Libération behind the paywall that I'm curious to read. The title called their FD a dance about "love, life, and death". I don't know if people took notice but it's very interesting that both their Olympic FDs had hints of mortality and lament, in the music and, one could argue, in their interpretation as well as some of the choreographic touches.

Last edited:

irenemulindwairen

The tweets I saw were not substantive either. The three-part series on French Ice Dance is in L'Equipe, which as a paywall upfront. There's also a piece in the Libération behind the paywall that I'm curious to read. The title called their FD a dance about "love, life, and death". I don't know if people took notice but it's very interesting that both their Olympic FDs had hints of mortality and lament, both in the music and, one could argue, in their interpretation some of the choreographic touches.
I am so so glad that this journey has a happy ending. P&C are an inspiration to most up and coming stars of the future, and also show others ON HOW TO PACKAGE YOUR STUDENTS. Zhulin, watch and learn!

Escarbille

I just would like to quote Gabriella, responding to a journalist (on France TV) asking her what she thought of the “Valieva case”. As the reporter framed his question, I could see Gabbi's face change from a quiet, golden smile to a serious expression of great, modest sadness. She had these simple words: “I have a very great empathy for her”. Point.

bcash

According to Paul Peret, with the conclusion of their Olympic FD, P/C have amassed 600 perfect 10s in Program Components in their career.

Now that the dust has settled, let's discuss the little changes they've made to this program and your impressions of them as performed here in Beijing!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information