Pairs Discussion Thread 2021-22

Karen-W

How long do we have to wait for GP assignments?
I don't see LuMit winning silver at RC. I am forgetting who is competing besides M/G.
The RC field is a mix of hot mess, IMO. Some of these teams are capable of skating really, really well and pushing PavKho off the podium but they haven't demonstrated it yet this season.

MishGal
PavKho
LuMit
DM/G
M-T/M
Hocke/Kunkel
Kadyrova/Balchenko
Ziegler/Kiefer (hopefully they don't have to w/d again)

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
peng and jin's lp is my favorite pairs program of the season thus far. everything just works and makes sense and feels right (the choreography, the music, their costumes, their whole packaging) . and they seem more emotionally connected to each other and to the program itself than i can remember.

and she's just glowing throughout the entire thing. i have such high hopes for them this year.
They are definitely in the mix for a bronze.

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
The RC field is a mix of hot mess, IMO. Some of these teams are capable of skating really, really well and pushing PavKho off the podium but they haven't demonstrated it yet this season.

MishGal
PavKho
LuMit
DM/G
M-T/M
Hocke/Kunkel
Kadyrova/Balchenko
Ziegler/Kiefer (hopefully they don't have to w/d again)
Unless P/K skate very poorly, I don't see them missing the podium. Top spot will go to M/G. I have not seen Kadyrova Balchenko, but I think P/K can win at least a bronze. All the other pairs are inconsistent. MTM can beat P/K, but only if they skate really well. I have not seen Z/K this season and I like them but I have no idea what shape they are in. So my prediction is M/G gold, MTM or P/K silver, and P/K or MTM bronze. If MTM have a bad day, then Lu MIT could sneak in.

Karen-W

How long do we have to wait for GP assignments?
Unless P/K skate very poorly, I don't see them missing the podium. Top spot will go to M/G. I have not seen Kadyrova Balchenko, but I think P/K can win at least a bronze. All the other pairs are inconsistent. MTM can beat P/K, but only if they skate really well. I have not seen Z/K this season and I like them but I have no idea what shape they are in. So my prediction is M/G gold, MTM or P/K silver, and P/K or MTM bronze. If MTM have a bad day, then Lu MIT could sneak in.
Well, right now, MTM are in such a sorry state that I don't think they'll get anywhere near the podium. I fully expect either KadyBal or LuMit on the podium unless ZieKie are back in shape.

DreamSkates

I disagree. I didn’t think their scoring was all that cushy at skate America. Also France audience doesn’t have a French home team to pull for.
They medaled! Cheering for them and even stuck around to watch the ceremony (via Peacock tv).

Sylvia

TBD
Re-posting from GSD threads:
This will be Ziegler/Kiefer's last season, as announced on Severin's Instagram:
https://www.instagram.com/p/CW4BYsLorbC/

I pretty much expected this, considering it will be their third Olympics, but still sorry to see them go! It has been a pleasure to watch them these past few years--they improved so much.
Miriam’s post after their season debut at Rostelecom Cup: https://www.instagram.com/p/CWz8McbIIoj/
In the post-win interview at Italian National Championships, Nicole Della Monica announced her retirement at end of the season.
Matteo Guarise is considering continuing and will try to find a new partner.

Sylvia

TBD
Sui/Han definitely know they have to up their game against the Russian pairs at the Olympics - this was posted originally in the Chinese news thread on Dec. 13, 2021:
According to a protocol sheet posted by an insider in Tieba (the Chinese version of Reddit), Sui/Han have brought back the quad twist in a closed-door test skate recently [original link no longer works]
Found a copy of the (fuzzy) protocol sheet on Twitter: https://twitter.com/wenjinqsui/status/1471338673144750084

Fadeevfanboy

It is good Sui & Han are bringing back the quad twist as their side by side jumps are already easier than the Russians, and pretty inconsistent to boot. Smart.

Kateri

void beast
I didn't think quad twist was worth it these days. S/H's twist isn't amazing though, so maybe they figured the higher BV was worth the relatively minor GOE loss?

rfisher

Let the skating begin
I didn't think quad twist was worth it these days. S/H's twist isn't amazing though, so maybe they figured the higher BV was worth the relatively minor GOE loss?
It's not. The Russians will likely still score higher with their better triple twists. I think it's a desperation move.

Sylvia

TBD
These are the 19 pairs qualified for/named to the 2022 Olympics (thanks @Karen-W) - ISU Season Best total scores included [in brackets]:

Austria - Miriam Ziegler/Severin Kiefer [163.80 GP RUS 2021]
Canada - Vanessa James/Eric Radford [196.34 GP FRA 2021; WD from Nationals after SP]
Canada - Kirsten Moore-Towers/Michael Marinaro [184.37 CS FIN 2021; won Nationals]
China - Cheng Peng/Yang Jin [211.86 GP ITA 2021]
China - Wenjing Sui/Cong Han [224.55 GP ITA 2021]
Czech Republic - Jelizaveta Zukova/Martin Bidar [159.73 Euros 2022]
Georgia - Karina Safina/Luka Berulava [184.05 Euros 2022]
Germany - Minerva-Fabienne Hase/Nolan Seegert [188.37 CS FIN 2021]
Hungary - Ioulia Chtchetnina/Mark Magyar [175.80 GP RUS 2021]
Israel - Hailey Kops/Evgeni Krasnopolski [167.08 CS GER 2021]
Italy - Nicole Della Monica/Matteo Guarise [179.26 GP ITA 2021]
Italy - Rebecca Ghilardi/Filippo Ambrosini [178.90 GP ITA 2021]
Japan - Riku Miura/Ryuichi Kihara [209.42 GP JPN 2021]
Russia - Aleksandra Boikova/Dmitrii Kozlovskii [227.23 Euros 2022; 2nd at Nationals]
Russia - Anastasia Mishina/Aleksandr Galliamov [239.82 Euros 2022; won Nationals]
Russia - Evgenia Tarasova/Vladimir Morozov [236.43 Euros 2022; 3rd at Nationals]
Spain - Laura Barquero/Marco Zandron [189.99 CS FIN 2021]
United States - Ashley Cain-Gribble/Timothy LeDuc [202.79 GP JPN 2021; won Nationals]
United States - Alexa Knierim/Brandon Frazier [202.97 GP USA 2021; WD from Nationals]

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information