Pairs Discussion Thread 2018-19--"Two Skating as One"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mad for Skating

According to Enbert's instagram, Z/E are training for Worlds. I know they've been a question mark since they w/d from Euroes, so here's some news for the fans! (I'm not really a fan, but I don't wanna see P/K's weird ass LP anymore either, so go zenberts!)

I’m not a fan of Zabiiako/Enbert’s actual skating (what the heck was that knight program lol?) but I really like them as people. Natalia is always posting cool pictures on Instagram and Alexander is just the nicest guy you’ll ever meet.
Pavliuchenko is adorable, but Khodykin just looks clumsy on the ice to me, and that free program makes Candyman look like a masterpiece. I’m praying to the skating gods that they get a new, beautiful program next year.

NAOTMAA

P/K's LP was just really underwhelming and deflated feeling. That's the main reason it looked bad. Did they know what their LP music was about theme wise? Because it doesn't look like they ever did :shuffle: No energy or excitement in the chorography or even the costuming.

Z/E definitely improved but they suffer the same as T/M do. Their team has no imagination and as a result they don't stand out. They need better packaging to go further.

Orm Irian

Z/E definitely improved but they suffer the same as T/M do. Their team has no imagination and as a result they don't stand out. They need better packaging to go further.

I don't know, I think it took some kind of imagination to come up with that Spamalot On Ice program, though I'm not entirely sure what kind...

Mad for Skating

don't forget the booty! Just sayin. :40beers:

How could I forget? 😂

Did they know what their LP music was about theme wise?
I believe it was all cuts from The Great Gatsby, but there were so many pieces of music smashed together that you’d never know if there was a story there. A shame because they’re really talented.

I think Zabiiako/Enbert are just taking the wrong approach. To me, they seem like they could be an avant-garde, modern pair (or at least Natalia’s instagram gives me that vibe!). If they could maybe come up with something that’s off the wall but not too “aggressive”, I think that would work well for them.

For some reason, I think they would be gorgeous skating to Coldplay. They have the soft dreamy quality, and yet it wouldn’t be boring.

Of course if they want something more edgy, there’s always The Matrix, since Natalia is rocking the Trinity look https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trinity_(The_Matrix)

Seerek

This might have already been covered in the OES thread but Martin Bidar and new partner Hanna Abrazhevich got the minimums for Worlds (I believe at Bavarian Open) and are on the entry list for tomorrow.

antmanb

For some reason, I think they would be gorgeous skating to Coldplay. They have the soft dreamy quality, and yet it wouldn’t be boring.

I strongly disagree :lol: I think Coldplay are the epitome of boring, if Zabaiko/Enbert skated to Coldplay the levels of boring could not be measured by earthly instruments. Even if they skate through the music I prefer them skating to strong music because at least then there is something to enjoy :shuffle:

barbarafan

This might have already been covered in the OES thread but Martin Bidar and new partner Hanna Abrazhevich got the minimums for Worlds (I believe at Bavarian Open) and are on the entry list for tomorrow.
Wow!! I want to see this....His instagram showed he was in Tokyo but I thought maybe he was going to watch his brother who I have noticed went to competitions.

RoseRed

Wow!! I want to see this....His instagram showed he was in Tokyo but I thought maybe he was going to watch his brother who I have noticed went to competitions.
Petr Bidar is Martin's older brother. He's been going to competitions with them as part of their coaching team.

hanca

Values her privacy
I’m not a fan of Zabiiako/Enbert’s actual skating (what the heck was that knight program lol?) but I really like them as people. Natalia is always posting cool pictures on Instagram and Alexander is just the nicest guy you’ll ever meet.
Pavliuchenko is adorable, but Khodykin just looks clumsy on the ice to me, and that free program makes Candyman look like a masterpiece. I’m praying to the skating gods that they get a new, beautiful program next year.
I don’t know either of them personally, and whatever imagine they are projecting on public media, I don’t take much notice. It wouldn’t be fair comparison anyway, because Zabijako/Enbert are much older so one could argue they would be more experienced to portray themselves on public media the way that would be more helpful for their career. But aesthetically, I much more enjoy watching Zabijako/Enbert. In the past they were a bit sleep inducing, but this season they seemed to me quite improved, I really enjoyed watching them. Pavliuschenko/Khodykin I enjoyed watching the last season, they stood out among juniors, but this season they somehow disappeared within seniors. They definitely need better packaging and more work on their skating skills to look more like senior skaters. More power into their pushes, and skating generally bigger. (Like when Sotskova moved to Buyanova, they spent a lot of work off season on her skating skills and it was really noticeable. That’s exactly what P/K need in my view.)

AngieNikodinovLove

Frangi & Piazza & Paul & Hektor & Theo. Oh My! 😝
I think Coldplay are the epitome of boring

Thank goodness you said it.. I like Coldplay but for figure skating..... yawnsville... dont get it twisted tho..I prefer it over warhorses any microsecond of the day. lol

Mad for Skating

I strongly disagree :lol: I think Coldplay are the epitome of boring, if Zabaiko/Enbert skated to Coldplay the levels of boring could not be measured by earthly instruments. Even if they skate through the music I prefer them skating to strong music because at least then there is something to enjoy :shuffle:

Nothing wrong with a different opinion! I just think this aggressive music in the SP doesn’t really suit them.

I don’t know either of them personally, and whatever imagine they are projecting on public media, I don’t take much notice. It wouldn’t be fair comparison anyway, because Zabijako/Enbert are much older so one could argue they would be more experienced to portray themselves on public media the way that would be more helpful for their career. But aesthetically, I much more enjoy watching Zabijako/Enbert. In the past they were a bit sleep inducing, but this season they seemed to me quite improved, I really enjoyed watching them. Pavliuschenko/Khodykin I enjoyed watching the last season, they stood out among juniors, but this season they somehow disappeared within seniors. They definitely need better packaging and more work on their skating skills to look more like senior skaters. More power into their pushes, and skating generally bigger. (Like when Sotskova moved to Buyanova, they spent a lot of work off season on her skating skills and it was really noticeable. That’s exactly what P/K need in my view.)

I agree with most of this. Z/E’s FS this year is quite lovely and I think the black dress and short hair give her more of a presence on the ice than her ballerina image from last year. However I don’t like the SP; it’s a bit jarring to me and the costumes don’t work, although I think it was a good concept in theory. I am a bit disappointed in P/K too - their SP is strong, but the FS felt like 25872289271 pieces of random music thrown together. Hopefully they get a better FS next year because they are a lovely talented team.

rfisher

Let the skating begin
ITA. I like this program and I love the sword fight.

levineismine

I believed in Hubbell&Donohue before it was cool
This post by Camille Ruest makes me wonder whether Alexandrovskaya/Windsor are moving from Montreal or if it's just temporary (I wouldn't want to start rumours, just sharing the post).
Link

AngieNikodinovLove

Frangi & Piazza & Paul & Hektor & Theo. Oh My! 😝
Dang have any teams got Seasons Best during this free so far? Maybe Walsh & Michaud? It seems like Pairs have run out of gas by late March :(

Last edited:

NAOTMAA

Two Russian teams on the world podium!!! :cheer2::cheer2: A week ago did anyone predict that? :cool:

After the season they've had and all the turmoil T/M turned it around and ended the season on a high. It hurts they couldn't hold on to gold (he left a number of points on the table :angryfire) but its still a victory in my personal opinion. Now they just got to keep building (and get better programs!) Z/E, wow, talk about rising to the occasion, congrats to them!!! B/K were fantastic too getting 6th at their first worlds. They beat everyone they had to and even beat J/C and P/J in the TES. Hopefully they get a nice PCS increase next season.

Mad for Skating

barbarafan

This post by Camille Ruest makes me wonder whether Alexandrovskaya/Windsor are moving from Montreal or if it's just temporary (I wouldn't want to start rumours, just sharing the post).
Link
Well it is the off season so could be leaving for while for vacation,shows and rest. As well they skate for Australia so there may be rules about how long Katia?? has to spend in Australia per year...

NAOTMAA

I normally find them dull but Zabijako and Enbert really impressed me in the free. They skated with a lot of command and authority. They looked confident and seem to go from one thing to the next with ease. I think she sold the program beautifully (maybe it was the haircut :lol: but I really thought her look and body movements fit the music). Or maybe it's because I found P/J and T/M kind of dull in comparison so skating in between them helped.

T/M may have the superior elements but they looked stale in comparison when skating right after. The free music was far too subdue for a team that isn't so externally expressive. Bad choice as usual from their team. They need more dynamic music to carry them. Something like The Four Seasons or even Firebird would work for them. The music sells itself and goes perfectly with the speed and smoothness of their skating.

nimi

I don't know if this has come up in some other thread but Eric Radford was elected to the ISU Athletes Commission
Today Eric Radford from Canada was elected to the ISU Athletes Commission as the Single and Pair Skating representative.

Further to the decision of the 56th ISU Ordinary Congress 2016 in Dubrovnik (CRO) to introduce an ISU Athletes Commission, Radford was elected by the athletes competing at the ISU World Figure Skating Championships 2019 in Saitama (JPN).

Single and Pair Skating results:

Total number of votes: 50

Total number of blank votes: 0

Number of votes for Eric Radford (CAN): 27
Number of votes for Misha Ge (UZB): 23

The following athletes are already members of the Athletes Commission:

The above-mentioned athletes and Eirc Radford are elected for the term lasting from the respective 2019 ISU World Championships to the respective 2023 ISU World Championships.

Taso

T/M may have the superior elements but they looked stale in comparison when skating right after. The free music was far too subdue for a team that isn't so externally expressive. Bad choice as usual from their team. They need more dynamic music to carry them. Something like The Four Seasons or even Firebird would work for them. The music sells itself and goes perfectly with the speed and smoothness of their skating.

I agree with your overall sentiment, but I believe both of those pieces in particular are too rhythmic for T&M's musical lacking...

nimi

TSL did their Worlds pairs recap with Meagan and she's great (as usual): https://youtu.be/n1A2q0UXBUQ

Helpful person in the comment section provided the time stamps:
0:25 How Meagan feels no longer competing, her thoughts on the new GOE system, and Meagan’s opinion on the Eunsoo/Mariah collision 10:34 Eric’s appointment as the new ISU singles/pairs athlete representative 12:20 Sui and Han 20:40 Talk about the Aljona Savchenko documentary 22:13 Tarasova and Morozov 26:26 Meagan’s thoughts on the graphic statistics 29:46 Peng and Jin vs. Zabijako and Enbert 32:34 James and Cipres 38:50 Discussion about the death spirals 41:52 Random Asides 43:04 Kirsten Moore-Towers and Michael Marinaro 46:16 Cain and LeDuc 49:20 General Thoughts and Questions 55:53 Ilyushechkina and Bilodeau 57:58 Meagan and Eric’s skating and tour plans. 1:00:22 Predictions for the Men and Ice Dance. 1:04:16 Technical calls in the Ladies. 1:06:58 Favorite moment of the Pairs, and wrap up of the event.

Mad for Skating

I normally find them dull but Zabijako and Enbert really impressed me in the free. They skated with a lot of command and authority. They looked confident and seem to go from one thing to the next with ease. I think she sold the program beautifully (maybe it was the haircut :lol: but I really thought her look and body movements fit the music). Or maybe it's because I found P/J and T/M kind of dull in comparison so skating in between them helped.

I surprisingly agree about Zabiiako/Enbert. Usually I take a nap during their skates, and that sword fight program is cringey to me, but their free skate at Worlds looked lovely and professional. I felt almost guilty enjoying it! And I do like her new hair - I just wish they would pull her bangs forward a little and give her that sassy vibe like Alice Cullen from Twilight. That would be 🔥

However, I don’t think T/M’s music is a problem. Their skating style is just rather detached and I think their programs work with that. They just need to work on looking at each other more when they skate. That’s fixable.

I don't know if this has come up in some other thread but Eric Radford was elected to the ISU Athletes Commission

I’m so happy for him! No one deserves it as much as he does!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information