OJ's Knife Found??

Cachoo

What the 'ell??

Handed in by a retired LAPD officer and other than that I have no idea how this is OJ's knife. It almost sounds like a hoax.

Last edited:

FiveRinger

I'm watching this on CNN and I don't believe it. A construction worker found it and the retired police officer held onto it? WTF?

Prancer

Chitarrista
Staff member
Even if it's true, how contaminated would this evidence be, no matter what they find?

skatingfan5

Past Prancer's Corridor
Even if it's true, how contaminated would this evidence be, no matter what they find?
I suppose it could be contaminated in many ways and without a chain of custody would be a problem IF it could be used in any sort of trial. However, OJ can't be tried again for the murders for which he was acquitted in 1995, so ....

Not sure if they ever determined exactly what type of knife was the murder weapon -- and if so, if this knife is of that type. I suppose if OJ's fingerprints were found on the knife and any DNA results were confirmed as belonging to Nicole and/or Ron, it might convince those who still maintain OJ's innocence of his guilt. But just as likely it wouldn't. For me those "ugly ass" Bruno Magli shoes were the final bit of damning evidence of his guilt.

ETA: I am completely dumbfounded by the actions of that former police officer -- keeping the knife all those years was bad enough -- but to have it framed?!? :scream:

Last edited:

attyfan

Since OJ can't be re-tried, it would probably be irrelevant as to him, but I wonder if the results might determine if some sort of action can be taken against the cop (i.e., what would happen to his pension if it was revealed that the cop did something that could have gotten him fired before he retired?)

peibeck

Simply looking
Since Simpson can't be retried, I don't get why they would go through the expense of having the knife tested for fingerprints and DNA.

Since the knife was apparently recovered after Simpson was acquitted I don't know that it would be a crime to have not turned it over, just a stupid move on the cop's part.

skatingfan5

Past Prancer's Corridor
Since the knife was apparently recovered after Simpson was acquitted I don't know that it would be a crime to have not turned it over, just a stupid move on the cop's part.
Even though OJ can't be retried, the murders of Nicole Brown and Ron Goldman are still an "open case" so depending on what evidence, if any, turned up on that knife (if it really was found where it is purported to have been found), then it could conceivably lead to the case being "closed."

ETA: And I just read a news update that the knife is allegedly "inconsistent" with the murders. Not sure what that means exactly, but most likely means it isn't the murder weapon.

Last edited:

skategal

Bunny mama
The murder weapon was described as being a "long serrated knife" so perhaps this knife isn't serrated.

FiveRinger

Since Simpson can't be retried, I don't get why they would go through the expense of having the knife tested for fingerprints and DNA.

I guess because this is still an open case, a cold case since the murder wasn't ever "solved."

peibeck

Simply looking
Even though OJ can't be retried, the murders of Nicole Brown and Ron Goldman are still an "open case" so depending on what evidence, if any, turned up on that knife (if it really was found where it is purported to have been found), then it could conceivably lead to the case being "closed."

Ah yes, I didn't think of that. (I guess because, despite the verdict, I have my own conclusion of the perpetrator). :shuffle:

The murder weapon was described as being a "long serrated knife" so perhaps this knife isn't serrated.

They would be able to tell if the knife was serrated just by looking at it, so I guess this means the wouldn't have to go through with costly things like DNA tests.

Desperado

Ah yes, I didn't think of that. (I guess because, despite the verdict, I have my own conclusion of the perpetrator). :shuffle:

They would be able to tell if the knife was serrated just by looking at it, so I guess this means the wouldn't have to go through with costly things like DNA tests.
I know it's not my taxpayer money and it's been forever, but that cop's behaviour really bothers me. He didn't care about proper procedure or doing good police work. Who knows what other evidence in other cases he chose not to report or what other standard operating procedure he decided didn't need to be followed. He finished his career and is now enjoying his largely taxpayer paid pension. I would like to see him investigated for this, and to ensure he didn't mess up other cases.

skategal

Bunny mama

I was reading on CNN that despite describing the murder weapon as a long serrated knife, there is still some uncertainty about the type of knife used. So maybe that is why they are DNA testing it.

Lorac

I know it's not my taxpayer money and it's been forever, but that cop's behaviour really bothers me. He didn't care about proper procedure or doing good police work. Who knows what other evidence in other cases he chose not to report or what other standard operating procedure he decided didn't need to be followed. He finished his career and is now enjoying his largely taxpayer paid pension. I would like to see him investigated for this, and to ensure he didn't mess up other cases.

I agree totally. Surely anyone locked away in cases he was related to will surely be looking into appeals etc. Even if the knife has nothing whatsoever to do with OJ he had no idea of that and to tell folks you were going to frame it is just arrogant. He needs to be investigated at the very least.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information