OES News 2023/24

Hedwig

Antique member
This is devastating. She was on an upwards trajectory and now Estonia will likely lose it’s two spots. 😢
Kiibus not in consideration at all?

Karen-W

How long do we have to wait for GP assignments?
This is devastating. She was on an upwards trajectory and now Estonia will likely lose it’s two spots. 😢
Kiibus not in consideration at all?

I just read: she will miss first half of the season due to a stress fracture in both legs. :yikes:
This could be worse - it could be next season, which would almost certainly drop Estonia to one spot for the Olympic season. At least there is still a chance for them to recover and bounce back in 2025-26.

Wyliefan

Ubering juniors against my will
Here's Eva-Lotta's report on Instagram:

Hello there!

Not the best at posting here, but it seems time has come to do a little update.

Past year has been indescribably difficult. But let’s try to keep it simple and more positive :D
In February I got diagnosed with stress fractures on both of my tibias. In order to recover I had to stop training for whole two months. For an athlete, well that feels like a lifetime. Time passed, expectations and desires increased. Returning to trainings I started doing too much, too fast and let my emotions dictate my decisions, not listening to my body. By August I was back where I was, injury returned. And that meant another pause, starting all over again. It was, let’s say, difficult, for body and mind. But i came back to ice and from then i knew, no matter how long it takes, i wont make the same mistakes again and have been working with the strongest people beside me, everyday towards my goals.

I love skating, I love working hard and until I have that, I won’t stop.

Happy holidays and hope to see you soon,
Your Lotta ❤️

Karen-W

Czech team for Euros has been announced -

Women - Barbora Vrankova
Men - Georgii Reshtenko
Pairs - Barbora Kucianova/Martin Bidar
Dance - Natalie Taschlerova/Filip Taschler & Katerina Mrazkova/Daniel Mrazek

airgelaal

Team Ukraine for Euros

Women
Anastasia Gozhva
Men
Ivan Shmuratko
Pairs
Sofiia Holichenko / Artem Darenskyi
Ice dance
Mariia Holubtsova / Kyryl Bielobrov
Mariia Pinchuk / Mykyta Pogorielov

Hedwig

Antique member
Only one pair team for Ukraine? Violeta too injured? 😢
(They had two spots, right?)

Karen-W

Holy... Spain's Euros & Worlds assignments -

Men - Tomas Guarino
Women - Emilia Murdock* (pending TES mins - she won't be able to compete at Euros)
Dance - Val/Kazimov

Lololol - I'm not sure what their selection criteria for dance is, but I can't help thinking the Spanish fed just screwed themselves out of a 2nd spot for Euros next year in not assigning Smart/Dieck.

Marta24

Holy... Spain's Euros & Worlds assignments -

Men - Tomas Guarino
Women - Emilia Murdock* (pending TES mins - she won't be able to compete at Euros)
Dance - Val/Kazimov

Lololol - I'm not sure what their selection criteria for dance is, but I can't help thinking the Spanish fed just screwed themselves out of a 2nd spot for Euros next year in not assigning Smart/Dieck.
Dance is certainly surprising. Val/Kazimov had some good scoring on the Senior B/ Challenger circuit. Maybe that was it?

Andrea82

Val/Kazimov
178.79 Nationals
176.36 Bosphorus Cup
168.34 Budapest Trophy
155.89 Trophée de Nice
143.88 Nepela Trophy

Smart/Dieck
184.98 Nationals
180.67 Skate America
178.47 Finlandia Trophy
169.11 Skate Canada
166.58 GP France

Maybe if they select only based on TES, V/K can come out on top (they won TES at Nationals in both segments as Dieck messed up the twizzles twice)

Karen-W

Dance is certainly surprising. Val/Kazimov had some good scoring on the Senior B/ Challenger circuit. Maybe that was it?
I dunno... Their best Senior B was 2 points lower than Smart/Dieck's two best events.

Val/Kazimov -
Nepela Memorial - 143.88
Budapest Trophy - 168.34
Trophee Metropol Nice - 155.89
Bosphorus Cup - 176.36
Spanish Nats - 178.79
2 best Int'ls & Spanish Nats = 523.49
All Int'ls & Spanish Nats = 823.26

Smart/Dieck -
ACI - 169.11
Finlandia - 178.47
SkAm - 180.67
GPdF - 166.58
Spanish Nats - 184.98
2 best Int's & Spanish Nats = 544.12
All Int'ls & Spanish Nats = 879.81

Mind you, Tim botched his twizzles in both the RD & FD at Spanish Nats, so their score would have been considerably higher there had he been clean.

Karen-W

Val/Kazimov
178.79 Nationals
176.36 Bosphorus Cup
168.34 Budapest Trophy
155.89 Trophée de Nice
143.88 Nepela Trophy

Smart/Dieck
184.98 Nationals
180.67 Skate America
178.47 Finlandia Trophy
169.11 Skate Canada
166.58 GP France

Maybe if they select only based on TES, V/K can come out on top (they won TES at Nationals in both segments as Dieck messed up the twizzles twice)
You beat me to it, but if that's the rationale, they're not looking at the bigger picture of overall potential. Val/Kazimov will be lucky to finish top 15 at Euros. And that's if they skate perfectly clean...

Then again, part of me wondered over the weekend if Smart/Dieck thought they could coast their way through Nats and were too focused on heading to Germany & the UK for the holidays then back to Montreal ahead of Euros. If so, maybe they needed this message to get their act together.

Karen-W

I'm surprised Smart/Dieck aren't even getting Worlds. That probably is more disappointing for them than not getting the Euros spot considering Worlds is in Montreal this year.
Yes, I really don't understand the rationale behind that decision. Apart from politicking. And if that's the case then IAM really effed up in not sending a coach with Olivia & Tim to Logrono this past week.

Karen-W

Apparently the Spanish Fed only takes into account the TES from Nats, highest TES from Challengers and other international competitions.

Val/Kazimov -
Nats TES = 41.01+62.74 = 103.75
Bosphorus Cup TES = 41.06+62.37 = 103.43
Budapest Trophy TES = 38.31+59.13 = 97.44

Smart/Dieck -
Nats TES = 39.12+62.10 = 101.22
SkAm TES = 39.91+60.23 = 100.14
Finlandia TES = 40.98+57.83 = 98.81

So, going into Nats, SmaDie were already 1.92 points behind on TES and then Tim biffed his twizzles in both phases of Nats, which sealed the deal.

I'm not sure I agree with using only TES to make the selection since PCS also matters, otherwise what's the point of having a total overall score?

OTOH - this does give SmaDie a good 9 months to train and really work on his twizzles. I'd be shocked if they don't look a whole lot better and stronger next September when they've had more time to really gel.

Andrea82

Regardless of the doubtful criteria chosen, why the selection for Worlds is done now?
Teams can improve their "international competition" TES in the next few months....Ephesus Cup is there!

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information