OES News 2023/24

Karen-W

How long do we have to wait for GP assignments?
Not that I would put it past the Spanish Fed to change their criteria at the last minute, but for now, assuming the announced criteria stands.
Let's see what happens at Euros. Sara won this battle round but don't think Marie-France can't make sure a strong message is sent if ValKaz finish much lower than expected or fail to make the FD.

tony

Throwing the (rule)book at them
Reviya himself says he has a back injury, they are not in great shape but the Federation asked them to compete at Nationals. Europeans is definitely out and with D/S now competing, they will most certainly go to Worlds. So K/R will just focus on getting healthy for next season.

skatingguy

decently
And the Federation asked them to skate at Nationals knowing about his recurring back problems exactly why? They don’t even have the Korean Fed’s excuse that everyone has to participate in their selection competition, since they’d already chosen D/S for Euros.

It looks like a farce for the group photo.
Georgia has two spots for ice dance at the European Championships, so assuming they were both healthy both teams could be sent.

kwanfan1818

RIP D-10
That’s even less of a reason to force K/R to skate at Nationals. They didn’t assign K/R to Euros and use Nationals as monitoring, which would have been too early anyway. They didn’t even assign their #3 to Euros: they made Alieva/Barshak substitutes.

They could have left K/R to heal.

Vagabond

That’s even less of a reason to force K/R to skate at Nationals. They didn’t assign K/R to Euros and use Nationals as monitoring, which would have been too early anyway. They didn’t even assign their #3 to Euros: they made Alieva/Barshak substitutes.

They could have left K/R to heal.
True, but to a country like Georgia that is trying to bolster homegrown talent, having a world-class couple compete at Nationals wirh even a watered-down program is invaluable. According to the Facebook post linked upthread, fifty skaters, including Juniors, competed at Nationals, and you can bet that there were a bunch of younger skaters in the audience. Having Kazakova and Reviya, who train in Russia, there must have given inspiration to those young skaters.

airgelaal

Reviya himself says he has a back injury, they are not in great shape but the Federation asked them to compete at Nationals. Europeans is definitely out and with D/S now competing, they will most certainly go to Worlds. So K/R will just focus on getting healthy for next season.
I guess that such a request contained a financial aspect. It's expensive to train in Italy, but being a national champion can help.

barbarafan

That is certainly a possibility, but splitting now would end the chances for either of them to make the 2026 Olympics.

I agree. It would be one thing if it was remotely close, or maybe even if V/K were considered a team with better long term prospects. But S/D are objectively, unquestionably, the stronger team right now and likely to remain so for at least a couple of years. And the possibility that the Spanish fed doesn’t think they’re “Spanish” enough doesn’t make a lot of sense as an explanation, because then why fund them at all?

Probably true, but it sounds like the criteria were also communicated later in the season when it was too late for S/D to pick up a couple of challengers. And why on earth would the Spanish fed create a last-minute criteria that disadvantages their objectively stronger team?

It’s just bizarre. If nothing else, it feels like an unnecessary waste of the funding they’ve given S/D.
What is going on in Spain behind the scenes? Totally weird. A federation gone bad. (or just stupid). I am sure Smart is PO'd and will be carrying on their plans with great determination. They only had a few months to construct 2 new programs, learn to skate together and figure out elements. At IAM the first half of season is polish choreo...speed and movements to get good base scores. The second half is the details.....those Y's on RD and perfectly performed elements. I can see them spending a long time under Patrice and his magic twizzles. How many top skaters have arrived at IAM with wishy washy twizzles only to become masters.He is a twizzle whisperer. Also there are other often items added or changed which have been planed but not added in because they need the power and speed worked on before they fluidly fit in. Hope they have another competition leading up to the main ones so the difference can be seen.

Vagabond

Can anybody find the result page for Georgian Nationals?
This is why I'm somewhat skeptical that the event actually occurred, at least as described in the Facebook post. Why would there not be a results page? Ireland has a results page. Why wouldn't Georgia have one too?

Last edited:

kwanfan1818

RIP D-10
There is a website URL in the Georgian Federation’s Facebook page:
geoskating.ge
When I click it, I get an error message “A server with the specified host name could not be found.” NSURL ErrorDomain

When I remove everything that FB adds, I get an About:blank page.

So much for checking the Federation site.

Last edited:

Frau Muller

From Puerto Rico…With Love! Not LatinX!
This is why I'm somewhat skeptical that the event actually occurred, at least as described in the Facebook post. Why would there not be a results page? Ireland has a results page. Why wouldn't Georgia have one too?

Golden Skate referenced this report:

So the national champs are:

W: Gubanova (Uruzhadze 2nd)
M: Egadze
P: Metelkina/Berulava
D: Kazakova/Revia

Jr winners:
W: Gurgenidze
M: Supatashvili

Our favorite Georgian Fed President, Mme Mariam Giorgobiani, is referenced at the end.

Gris

不做奴才做公民

Karen-W

How long do we have to wait for GP assignments?

Spanish Fed walked it back and now Smart / Dieck are going to Worlds.
The Spanish fed really is the gift that keeps on giving when it comes to ice dance drama.

I am happy for SmaDie that we get to see their programs one more time, plus they have just under 3 months of uninterrupted training time ahead of them, so let's hope we see some good improvements from them (especially Tim's twizzles).

clairecloutier

The injury that took Natalie Taschlerova & Filip Taschler out of Cup of China earlier this fall was more serious than skating fans knew at the time. But fortunately they're back on the ice & ready for Euros this week. Here is my story on this team and their comeback:

The Taschlers Return from Career-Threatening Injury

Gris

不做奴才做公民
Does anyone know why Lindsay van Zundert is not competing at the European Championships?

Machine translated excerpt from the KNSB article:

Lindsay van Zundert had also qualified for the Women's Solo section, but she withdrew from the European Championships on the advice of her coaches Thomas Kennes and Carine Herrygers. Kennes explains: “Due to private circumstances, Lindsay has not been able to train enough lately to be competitive in Kaunus. That is why we have jointly decided that it is better not to participate in the European Championship. A difficult decision, but the only right one at the moment. In the coming period, we will mainly focus on the longer-term goals on the way to the 2026 Olympic Games.”

On My Own

I loved Selevko's SP at EC. The way he did that camel was great. Thought he should be leading.
Wish he'd done 2 quads in the LP (and/or filled up the triples he could repeat, guessing the 2A+2T was meant to be a repeat 3A+3T) just so I could say he deserved the win. As it stands, should have been faaaaaar closer than it was though, not a 20 point gap.

Hedwig

Antique member
Not really. He was great but he has catching up to do with Adam on pcs.

But that is a topic for the pbp thread anyway.

On My Own

He was great but he has catching up to do with Adam on pcs.
He was better than Adam on PCS here. That program from Adam is bs. I do not see what's so special about that frontloaded SP either, and he didn't even go clean in either program.

Hedwig

Antique member
You do know the criteria for pcs, yes?

But like I said- topic for the competition forum and not the news thread.

On My Own

You do know the criteria for pcs, yes?
Yes?

What is someone performing in the first half of the program if there's nothing but jumps and one of them is two-footed, hand down, as a major pause? And what's the choreography happening for the first minute of such a program?

I don't see why it should be in PBP, but I don't have a subscription anyway.

Selevko's camel spin in the SP does show creative choreography, just for the record.

Hedwig

Antique member
we talk about pcs and you talk about elements. Of course front - or backloading the program is part of the composition but skating skills, for instance, are independent of how a jump is landed.

I said, it belongs in the pbp thread because we have hundreds of threads there discussing various aspects of a performance and here it is more about news. So I thought you were interested in having a discussion about the particular competition and that is mostly done in the specific threads.

skating skills:
"Gliding on the ice with complete balance without friction on a precise edge, while executing the repertoire of steps, turns, skating movements in any direction; The flow of quality movements in different planes of space and flow while executing the skating repertoire; Power, variations (meaning acceleration and deceleration) and control of speed, dynamic stroking." as an example for one criteria.

For me, Selveko's skates were the skates of the competition and his reaction in the KnC as well. But he has a long way to go before he matches Adam in skating skills.

On My Own

we talk about pcs and you talk about elements.
Because elements form a large part of the choreography and performance... And Adam's spins are pretty average in terms of position and speed too.

Of course front - or backloading the program is part of the composition but skating skills, for instance, are independent of how a jump is landed.

Skating skills are also independent of spins.

For that matter, if you don't wish to talk about elements, then how are you judging Adam's skating skills, when mostly he shows those in his step sequences?

Skating skills are also one component. Relevant to this:

For me, Selveko's skates were the skates of the competition and his reaction in the KnC as well. But he has a long way to go before he matches Adam in skating skills.

Can you tell me why you believe this one component takes this much of space? You did say Selevko has a ways to go in matching Adam's PCS, yet you've only written about skating skills.

To me, Aleksandr did better in the other two components, which is why I say he did better in PCS.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information