November 20th ... 25 years later

Sylvia

TBD
Skating colleagues remember Sergei Grinkov, 25 years after his death (includes quotes from IMG's Byron Allen, Scott Hamilton, Paul Wylie, Elena Bechke and Marina Zoueva) by Lynn Rutherford:

Excerpts:
Paul Wylie, the 1992 Olympic silver medalist, remembers the impact Grinkov’s passing had on his own life.
“I was kind of undone by the specter of death, the possibility of death at that stage of your life,” he said. “It made me want to maximize everything. At that time, I was thinking about continuing pro skating or going back to graduate school.”
Wylie continued performing for several more years before enrolling in Harvard Business School, earning his MBA in 2000.
“And I never regretted the decision,” he said. “I remember thinking, ‘[Performing] is the calling for you, at this moment of your life.’ … In a way, Sergei led me to that.”
“All of Katia and Sergei was a love story,” Zoueva said. “They started skating (together) when they were around 11 and 14. First, they were very friendly like brother and sister, then they fell in love, then they were married and had a baby. It was always about their love… Sergei was very, very happy. Always laughing, had lots of friends, loved to skate, loved to perform, loved Katia and loved his daughter. There was a lot of love.”

Last edited:

Wyliefan

Ubering juniors against my will
Skating colleagues remember Sergei Grinkov, 25 years after his death (includes quotes from IMG's Byron Allen, Scott Hamilton, Paul Wylie, Elena Bechke and Marina Zoueva) by Lynn Rutherford:

Excerpts:
Shoot, I apologize for starting a new thread for that. I did a search but somehow didn't see it.

Sylvia

TBD
Shoot, I apologize for starting a new thread for that. I did a search but somehow didn't see it.
No need to apologize @Wyliefan since I deliberately chose a rather cryptic thread title and started this thread well before the article was published online. IMO, Lynn Rutherford's article deserves to have its own thread in GSD for higher visibility. :)

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
I love the third picture the most.
Can’t believe it has been 25 years. I remember the moment I saw the news on the cover of USA Today in the cafeteria at work while picking up breakfast. I can hear my gasp.

Sylvia

TBD
It is hard to believe. I remember it clearly. I had seen them in SOI back in the spring so a few months before he passed. 😔
Replying to @Judy here... I feel so lucky to have watched them perform live/in person one time -- February 1995 Stars on Ice show in St. Louis, MO -- 9 months before he passed. I was inspired to start adult skating group lessons not long after that show.

Judy

Replying to @Judy here... I feel so lucky to have watched them perform live/in person one time -- February 1995 Stars on Ice show in St. Louis, MO -- 9 months before he passed. I was inspired to start adult skating group lessons not long after that show.
I remember seeing their programs at Skate Canada before the Olympics. I was never a typical fan like nowadays with internet, more tv coverage etc .. but their skating was gorgeous. They received standing ovations immediately.

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
I watched them skate live two or three times. I still have some of the photos. They were taken with a film - not a digital Camera. I found an enlarged print copy of one just yesterday. They were skating to Vocalise in that photo. May be I could take its photo with my cell and post it on my facebook page.

Last edited:

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
I fell in love with them while watching the 1988 Olympics and started taking recreational skating lessons for the next 20 something years. To be fair, Midori Ito was also a reason for my getting into skating. I became a fan of figure skating in 1988, and still am, obviously.

I recorded every competition and show on TV that G&G skated in. Whatever I didn’t have, I obtained from other fans. Katia was just 24 when Sergei died. Tough at any age, but given their story, it must have been beyond imagination. In her book she described the day it happened, and how she felt. Heartbreaking.

Last edited:

love skating

Clueless American
I too saw them skate live in the 1995 SOI tour (in Anaheim). Later I felt so grateful to have seen them in person, not knowing it would be the one and only time.

Back then I didn't have internet yet, so I remember hearing about Sergei on the evening news - I was shocked beyond belief! Still so sad :(

Ananas Astra

Get woke, go broke!
I was just a kid back then, not even remotely interested in figure skating, but my mom told me about it and showed me some Russian newspaper with Katia and Daria on the front page, she got from a Russian shop here. I remember she was very sad about Sergei's passing.

Sylvia

TBD
28 years ago now ... Clip posted today (November 20, 2023) by the gordeeva.ru fan account of Sergei Grinkov's grave in snowy Vagankovo Cemetery (Ваганьковское кладбище) in Moscow, as well as photos: https://www.instagram.com/p/Cz3D4KUo9Om/?img_index=2

Machine translation of the caption:
“When leaving, leave the Light. It's more than staying."
They remember you... We remember...

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information