Nguyen & Kolesnik have ended their partnership

kwanfan1818

RIP D-10
Didn't they change it to make it much harder for federations to hold onto skaters?
No.

Kolesnik can apply to the ISU for a clearance certificate if USFS does not release him, and there is little reason to think he would not get one (or that the USFS wouldn't release him anyhow).
And is there one example where that was successful? The last one made public had the ISU telling Germany and France to work out Massot's release between them.

That was a while ago. There were some rule changes to make country-changing easier so we don't really know how it will work out for Kolenik.
Not by the ISU. There is vague language about not withholding releases unreasonably.

There have been rumors that USFS changed the official policy/rule from being able to hold up a release for up to four years if the skater achieved certain results to something less appalling, but nothing substantiated, at least publicly.

Those cases aren't comparable. Kolsenik doesn't hold citizenship in the country from whose federation he would need a release.
That's not the way Rule 109 is written. The deciding Federation is the one you last skated for, and they are the only ones who can give a release, unless overruled by the ISU. And they did that exactly when?

hanca

Values her privacy
Those cases aren't comparable. Kolsenik doesn't hold citizenship in the country from whose federation he would need a release.
That does not matter. Kolesnik competed for the USA, which means they now ‘own’ him. So his choices are either to find a partner with US citizenship and compete with her, or try to change country and be completely relying on US skating federation’s goodwill to do the right thing. Call me a pessimist, but I am a bit cynical about the federation doing what’s best for him. They will do what’s best for them, and that means either keeping him or requesting such an amount of money that he will be stuck. Unless he has someone who is willing to pay him out.

litenkyckling

poor Vadym was under a lot of pressure. He left his family and moved across the world at 14 and if he doesn’t get results he could get sent back Ukraine. He would kill himself during practices, when Avonley got off the ice, Vadym would do extra run throughs by himself. He’s not the most talented but he got to where he is through pure hard work and determination. This is something I admired about him

I actually think he's more talented than Avonley 👀

Coco

Rotating while Russian!
I know the Flamenco dancer who worked on Tanith and Ben's flamenco when they were with Igor. She would characterize it differently.

Vagabond

That does not matter. Kolesnik competed for the USA, which means they now ‘own’ him. So his choices are either to find a partner with US citizenship and compete with her, or try to change country and be completely relying on US skating federation’s goodwill to do the right thing. Call me a pessimist, but I am a bit cynical about the federation doing what’s best for him. They will do what’s best for them, and that means either keeping him or requesting such an amount of money that he will be stuck. Unless he has someone who is willing to pay him out.
You're a pessimist.

The fact that USFS can hold back on a release doesn't mean it will. And why should it?
And is there one example where that was successful? The last one made public had the ISU telling Germany and France to work out Massot's release between them.
That was nearly five years ago. I assume that all the releases since then either have been amicable or were granted after the federations involved worked things out together.

hanca

Values her privacy
You're a pessimist.

The fact that USFS can hold back on a release doesn't mean it will. And why should it?

That was nearly five years ago. I assume that all the releases since then either have been amicable or were granted after the federations involved worked things out together.
That’s fine. You think about me that I am a pessimist, I think about you that you are a bit naive. Perhaps soon we will have the opportunity to see how keen the US federation is to release him.

clairecloutier

Is Annabel Morozov going to change her country? She may have better chance to get released, but does she have US passport? :lol:

Annabelle was born here in the U.S., so yes.

She’s getting pretty successful in Russia, though, and probably gets more funding there than she would in the U.S., so a switch seems unlikely I would think? ....

marbri

Hey, Kool-Aid!
For those who felt a lot of the names mentioned were too tall for Vadym, Annabelle is taller than them....

litenkyckling

Is Annabel Morozov going to change her country? She may have better chance to get released, but does she have US passport? :lol:

Apparently she has US, French and Russian citizenship - clearly being in the skating world makes you really think about these things as a parent!

I think there will be a lot of girls interested in teaming up with Vadym and lots of countries willing to pay a fee to fast track a release for him too

litenkyckling

For those who felt a lot of the names mentioned were too tall for Vadym, Annabelle is taller than them....

It's interesting, I think lots of people think that N/K were well matched (and they clearly were given their success) but I always felt that he was a little too big for her, to me it was like he spent a lot of time picking her up off the ice and into mini lifts especially during this year's FD - almost like there was too big a height and strength gap for her to keep up. Someone slightly taller would be good for him, imo.

marbri

Hey, Kool-Aid!
It's interesting, I think lots of people think that N/K were well matched (and they clearly were given their success) but I always felt that he was a little too big for her, to me it was like he spent a lot of time picking her up off the ice and into mini lifts especially during this year's FD - almost like there was too big a height and strength gap for her to keep up. Someone slightly taller would be good for him, imo.

I agree. I still prefer my ice dancers to look like ice dancers and not pair teams.

hanca

Values her privacy
Annabelle was born here in the U.S., so yes.

She’s getting pretty successful in Russia, though, and probably gets more funding there than she would in the U.S., so a switch seems unlikely I would think? ....
I just checked, she placed fourth at the Russian nationals (I didn’t realised that!), so she may have also some difficulties with getting released. Although I can’t imagine that the federation would like to mess with Morozov, so maybe she would get released without problems.

Perky Shae Lynn

Good point. We've been watching N&K for a long time now and are used to their physical appearance as a couple. Everything else seems just wrong. But who says it is? A tall sexy fiery girl may be just as good of a match as a petite princess. In any case, looks like we are about to find out.

thvu

Usova's Apprentice
That’s fine. You think about me that I am a pessimist, I think about you that you are a bit naive. Perhaps soon we will have the opportunity to see how keen the US federation is to release him.
I agree. USFS has zero incentive to release Kolesnik. They’ve never shown that they put the lives and well beings of athletes first. They are short-term results oriented.

Keeping Kolesnik has no downside aside from a potential PR issue, which they’ll solve by publicly saying they’re working with him on a release, delay it by months or years, and then only releasing him when he pays them money or until his prospects are no longer good. They will sabotage Kolesnik before letting him represent another country as a threat.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information