Nguyen & Kolesnik have ended their partnership

Amy L

Don't get me wrong, I love Nguyen & Kolesnik. I even recommended their FD in the Trash Can thread asking for vid recs from recent seasons. This came out of nowhere (to us). Both her partnership, and another partnership in the same rink, had similar citizenship issues. That's all.

aka_gerbil

Rooting for the Underdogs
Vadym is from Ukraine. He has been training in the US for an even shorter time than Carreira, and of course we all know that she is having a lot of trouble moving forward on that front.

So... what's the height different between Avonley and Anthony??? Just wondering :shuffle:

My understanding is that the issue for Christina is needing to be fast tracked to have citizenship for 2022, but she will have it in time for 2026 regardless.

Who knows what is going to happen with international skating being able to resume. If the 2022 games still happen, C/P have a shot at top 3 at nationals, but it’s by no means a lock. It’s going to be H/B and C/P battling for the third spot. C/P may very well not finish top 3 to even qualify, which which would make her citizenship a non-issue.

Bigbird

They were so good. They were an equal pairing. Was she being too rash? There is a claim that he wasn't as passionate as she was, but he's only 18. Couldn't they convince her to try for at least two more seasons they are in the middle of a quad and we don't even know what will happen in 2022. This makes absolutely no sense unless she's found someone else already. But my word who will he skate with? Does he even want to continue?

Very sad.

Last edited:

dramagrrl

Pairing Avonley and Anthony together sounds like something Shpilband would do indeed... :shuffle:
Obviously this is 200% speculative, but I would feel terrible for Christina if this happened. There are already many very talented girls around her age (mostly in the junior ranks) in Canada who have solid partners, but could easily upgrade if there were more talented boys available. It would be very difficult for her to find a Canadian partner of her calibre unless more teams were broken up.

Perky Shae Lynn

Something seemed off with Avonley & Vadim's relationship in the past year. Like... personal stuff. So I am not sure this is a citizenship related split.

Last edited:

heartyxo

2022 is down to Hawayek/Baker and Green/Parsons, assuming Carreira doesn't get her citizenship in time which seems likely.

I am in shock over this- I didn't see it coming. Fortunately, US ice dance is so deep that it will still be fine next quad without C/B and H/D despite the splits, but I really hope no more teams split.

Oh Igor. His top team left him, he had these new future stars he was putting in their place in his heart, then he lost them too. It's a tough world.

Flip Jump

Something seemed off with Avonley & Vadim's relationship in the past year. Like... personal stuff. So I am not sure this is a citizenship related split. And I am not convinced Avonley was the one who ended it, despite her statement.
I was at Nationals and when it was time for them to go out for the six minute warm up, Avonley was missing and Vadim ran back to get her and he did not look happy at all When he brought her back. I really thought he was a great partner for her.

aka_gerbil

Rooting for the Underdogs
Obviously this is 200% speculative, but I would feel terrible for Christina if this happened. There are already many very talented girls around her age (mostly in the junior ranks) in Canada who have solid partners, but could easily upgrade if there were more talented boys available. It would be very difficult for her to find a Canadian partner of her calibre unless more teams were broken up.

Christina posted a photo of herself and Anthony on the ice together in Novi this morning. They’re also doing an interview together with PJ Kwong tomorrow. I don’t think they’ve been split or are planning to split.

marbri

Hey, Kool-Aid!
If he continues skating I'd still like to see him paired up with Emmy Bronsard (and if he wants a bit more fun while skating Montreal might be a better place for him) :shuffle:

Bigbird

If he continues skating I'd still like to see him paired up with Emmy Bronsard (and if he wants a bit more fun while skating Montreal might be a better place for him) :shuffle:
Oh yes. She needs an upgrade no offence to current partner. But now is just not the time. If he's interested there is time. Right now it's time to grieve.

Perky Shae Lynn

I read his post. He sounds shell shocked. Which means it was indeed Avonley / Avonley's parents that initiated the split. I hope Vadim is not done. He's one of the most talented young ice dancers we have - and it sure has not been an easy road for him. I don't like this one bit.

Last edited:

3T3T

I’m really shocked by this news. I expected them to be the next big thing in US ice dancing. A very strong chance of going to Beijing in 2022 and a run for gold in Milan in 2026, citizenship problems notwithstanding. I thought they had the beating of H/B and C/P in the immediate term.

He left his family and home country at 14 years of ge to train with one of the best coaches in the world. Surely that is a sign of his commitment to the sport? Probably his citizenship was a factor? I always thought they looked very happy and content together. I guess we don’t know know what goes on behind the scenes.

kwanfan1818

RIP D-10
Andrew Poje couldn't twizzle to save his life until his very last day as a competitive skater and still managed to have a successful career...
He struggled on his weaker side. His dominant side twizzles were fine.

clairecloutier

I’m really sad at this news. I always thought Avonley & Vadim had a really special and unique chemistry together, and they were extremely well matched physically IMO. Right now it’s hard to imagine them with different partners, but I guess we will have to. :-(

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information