New Puppy: How do we get her to sleep?

Badams

We got a new puppy yesterday. I've never had a puppy this young before, she's only 7 weeks old today. She's a purebred dachshund, so she's very tiny. And boy is she hard at night!!! Does anyone have any tips or tricks to help her acclimate to sleeping without being cuddled up with her siblings? We try to let her cry herself to sleep because I read that's the best way to break the crying habit. But it's hard!!

genevieve

drinky typo pbp, closet hugger (she/her)
Staff member
7 weeks is young. Does she have a crate, or other space that is hers that she can feel safe and calm in?

It's been a long time since I had a puppy, but I remember the sleepless nights :yawn:

Badams

She has a crate with a dog bed and blanket in it. She likes being in there, as long as the lights are on. 7 weeks is young, I wouldn't have minded waiting a couple more before getting her, but it wasn't meant you be.

rfisher

Let the skating begin
That young, I've put them in a box by the bed and put my hand it in for a night or two. It would have helped if you'd given a stuffed toy to the breeder and let them get the litter's scent on it. I don't believe in letting them cry. It's too traumatic. I've got up many times at night the first couple of nights to reassure a pup, but it usually doesn't take more than a couple until they imprint on you. Putting a tee-shirt with your scent on it in the crate can help as well.

Badams

I will try the clock and clothes. She sleeps in my daughter's room, she's technically her dog. I will see if she can put her closer to her bed so she can lay her hand on her. Thanks for the tips!

Firedancer

Get this snuggle puppy. It has a heart beat that makes it like sleeping with their brothers and sisters. There is a heat pack you can use too. I got one for my puppy last year and he took to the crate from the first day. He still sleeps with it.
https://www.petsmart.com/featured-shops/valentines-day/smart-pet-love-snuggle-puppyandtrade-behavioral-aid-dog-toy-5263668.html?lsft=utm_source:google,utm_term:5263668,utm_medium:pLA,utm_content:GSC - Medium - Hardgoods - Dog - Strong SS - LIA Only | *Catch All,utm_campaign:GSC - Medium - Hardgoods - Dog - Strong SS - LIA Only&utm_id=432|pg1050545998|914830140864&utm_source=google&utm_medium=PLA&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI5bberYqi7gIVBIvICh3N7A_zEAQYASABEgKALvD_BwE

Edited to add: I left a light on the first few nights too to make him more comfortable/less scared.

rfisher

Let the skating begin
Also, tell your daughter not to play with the pup just before bed. It gets them too excited. About 30 minutes before, though will tire the puppy out. Tired puppies make for happy owners. And, make the crate as small as possible. Just big enough for the puppy to curl up and sleep. It makes housebreaking much faster, but at only 7 weeks, it's going to be 4-5 weeks before they can sleep through the night without needing a potty break.

Firedancer

Also, if you take away her water a couple hours before bed (I do 8:00), it will help with her having to go out during the night

Badams

I will try to share a picture.

I'm way too stupid to figure this out. Lol

Last edited:

Japanfan

Our pups always slept with us on the bed. It didn't take too long for them to be comfortable on the floor. Though we quite like having a warm furry body on the bed! Bandit won't stay long on the bed these days, but sometimes the cat will grace me with his presence.

Having the dog near enough to your daughter that she can reach down and touch him will probably help.

Another call for pictures!

Last edited:

Judy

She has a crate with a dog bed and blanket in it. She likes being in there, as long as the lights are on. 7 weeks is young, I wouldn't have minded waiting a couple more before getting her, but it wasn't meant you be.
So crate her at night and put her beside your bed. It will be very helpful. Try and make sure that she’s tired out by bedtime. Remember at that age they have no bladder control. I’ve raised four 8 week puppies lol. Patience is a virtue.

Judy

Our pups always slept with us on the bed. It didn't take too long for them to be comfortable on the floor. Though quite like having a warm furry body on the bed!

Having the dog near enough to your daughter that she can reach down and touch him will probably help.

Another call for pictures!
Until they pee in your bed at that age lol.

Japanfan

Until they pee in your bed at that age lol.
Never happened, actually. I did of course get up in the night to let the puppers out.

SFAIK, dogs instinctively don't want to soil the space they sleep in. Though I don't know if that instinct kicks in by seven weeks.

Last edited:

AxelAnnie

Like a small boat on the ocean...
Leave the lights on😉

cygnus

We used to put a hot water bottle wrapped in a towel near our pups. It seemed to help a bit- gives them something warm to snuggle up to.

Judy

Also, tell your daughter not to play with the pup just before bed. It gets them too excited. About 30 minutes before, though will tire the puppy out. Tired puppies make for happy owners. And, make the crate as small as possible. Just big enough for the puppy to curl up and sleep. It makes housebreaking much faster, but at only 7 weeks, it's going to be 4-5 weeks before they can sleep through the night without needing a potty break.
At this age it doesn’t take much to make a pup crash. It’s ok to play her out really before she is put in the crate.

Badams

Last night wasn't as bad as the first night. Probably because we sort of worked in shifts. I have to work in the morning, so I'm hoping tonight is even better. Thankfully my kids are all virtual this school year, and my husband is working from home. She will have plenty of attention during the day while I'm gone.

Lacey

I once purchased a puppy in NJ and brought her home to PA and to my vet the next day. 7 weeks old. Vet said it is illegal to sell pups under, I think it was 8 weeks, in PA. I pointed out that her papers were from NJ. couldn't take her back, but she was young.

I really think 10 weeks is best, my Cavalier was that age, pups have learned better by then how to separate from the mother.

Oh well, just more work for the humans!

She's very sweet!

Coco

Rotating while Russian!
Also, if you take away her water a couple hours before bed (I do 8:00), it will help with her having to go out during the night

I have heard a lot of people say this, but my vet flipped out when I raised this so I never did it. Eventually, the dogs will regulate themselves. But they should always have access to water.

When I got my rescue dog, she had clearly gone without water way too much. She drank obsessively. Good times, let me tell you. Eventually she calmed down and drank 'normal' amounts.

@Badams she looks adorable! Hope it's working out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information