New Figure Skating Drama on Netflix (EDIT: no longer starring Emma Roberts)

gkelly

And the guy had lost peripheral vision which is necessary in a team sport that moves an object around the field but not necessary at all when skating a set routine on ice.

Not much for singles skating, and not very much for ice dance where the partners usually need to stay in contact (although useful for maintaining unison on side-by-side twizzles and side-by-side steps, which weren't part of ice dance back when The Cutting Edge was made but certainly are now).

But much more useful for pairs of all the skating disciplines, both for maintaining unison in side-by-side moves and in reconnecting with the partner quickly after separations for moves like throws etc. or changing position from right to left of the partner etc.

If I were a female pair skater, that's not a disability I would shrug off easily in a potential partner. At least make him prove that he can find me on the ice when he needs to find me.

lurkz2

I'd say you can't make this stuff up except probably any one of us could.

Created by Mr. Mercedes scribe Samantha Stratton, the project — which Netflix describes as “edgy” — centers on Roberts’ Kat Baker, an “up-and-coming, high-level single skater who’s about to turn in her skates after a disastrous fall took her off the competition track. When Kat seizes an opportunity to continue her career as a pair skater with a talented bad-boy partner, she risks exposing a fiercely kept secret that could unravel her entire life. On and off the ice, Kat and her new partner will face daunting odds, injury to body and soul, financial sacrifice, and even potential mental breakdown on their way to realizing their Olympic dream.”

But this is my favorite part of the article:

Casting for the aforementioned “bad-boy” is underway (if you have suggestions, drop ’em in the comments.)

Couldn't remember his name at the time but what about Alex Benoit? Since he retired to go into acting and all... I know he's an ice dancer but at least he has skills. It should be easier to learn the bad boy persona than to learn skating skills.

jenniferlyon

Emma Roberts Exits Netflix Drama Series ‘Spinning Out’, Role Is Being Recast
https://deadline.com/2018/10/emma-r...skating-drama-series-spinning-out-1202493390/

A rep for the actress confirmed to Deadline that Roberts is not proceeding with Spinning Out due to a scheduling conflict with another project. Netflix confirmed that they are moving forward with Spinning Out, with the lead role being recast. The Internet network declined further comment but I hear that Lily Collins had been in negotiations for the part.

Willin

Well, that's good news.

I'm kinda surprised this series is getting actresses like Emma Roberts and Lily Collins involved. Yes it's netflix and may or may not end up being award bait, but that description made it sound awful. I wonder if the scripts are better?

mjb52

Couldn't remember his name at the time but what about Alex Benoit? Since he retired to go into acting and all... I know he's an ice dancer but at least he has skills. It should be easier to learn the bad boy persona than to learn skating skills.

One does not simply LEARN a bad boy persona...

VGThuy

I think Alex Benoit has the looks and build to be a leading man. Not sure about acting skill but I know he’s going to school for it.

jenniferlyon

Well, that's good news.

I'm kinda surprised this series is getting actresses like Emma Roberts and Lily Collins involved. Yes it's netflix and may or may not end up being award bait, but that description made it sound awful. I wonder if the scripts are better?

With names like those, it's safe to assume that this is not a low-budget production.

Artistic Skaters

Drawing Figures
*** January Jones to Star in Netflix Figure Skating Series 'Spinning Out' :
https://www.tvinsider.com/745522/spinning-out-cast-january-jones-netflix/
"January Jones will play Carol Baker, a former figure skater who was forced to give up her gold medal dreams when she became pregnant. Now she pushes both grown daughters to become Olympians in order to fulfill the dream she could never achieve," the post reads.

Also judiz noted Johnny Weir will be in this show:
https://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/th...f-netflix-skating-series.104990/#post-5489057

Sylvia

TBD
Also, Emma Roberts' replacement was announced back on December 13, 2018: https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/l...netflix-figure-skating-drama-spinning-1169022
'The Maze Runner' actress will play the lead role of Kat Baker, an injured skater who tries to get back on her feet.
Netflix's figure staking drama has replaced its star.
The streaming giant has cast The Maze Runner's Kaya Scodelario in the lead role two months after Emma Roberts dropped out of the project due to a scheduling conflict.
Maybe an Admin. can update the thread title?

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
I loved Cutting Edge. I tolerated the mushy Ice castles, and Ice Princess. I avoid watching other FS movies. I hate the way the sport is presented on the screen. Cutting Edge 2 was awful and I didn’t see 3. I didn’t like I,Tonya either. I will definitely avoid this new movie series (10 episodes!).

AxelAnnie

Like a small boat on the ocean...
I loved Cutting Edge. I tolerated the mushy Ice castles, and Ice Princess. I avoid watching other FS movies. I hate the way the sport is presented on the screen. Cutting Edge 2 was awful and I didn’t see 3. I didn’t like I,Tonya either. I will definitely avoid this new movie series (10 episodes!).
Cutting Edge 3 was pretty good. I agree about everything else. I bought I Tonya but after 5 minutes I couldn't any more.

There is a FS movie you have not mentioned, which I enjoyed. It has Elvis Stojko in it. It called Skate Girls. Tessa Virtue has a teeny tiny part.

kwanatic

[sarcasm]

The story of Chazz Michael Michaels and Jimmy MacElroy. From to bitter rivals to pairs history making super-team...this is the best figure skating movie ever made! :encore:https://youtu.be/1PYcuxxTF10?t=47

[/sarcasm]

FYI, I really do love this friggin movie. :lol::lol::lol:

Willin

Tbh this whole thing sounds like a train wreck.

-Change if lead actress post-announcement? (And poor original casting) Check.
-Scenario(s) highly unrealistic to people that actually follow the topic? Check.
-Description straight out of a young adult romance novel? Check.
-Johnny Weir acting? Check.

I’m debating watching this to see how bad it actually is. If they wanted a watchable series an Ashley Wagner biopic would be a lot of teen drama levels of fun.

Also, I was thinking the storyline of the person quitting high level competitive skating because of pregnancy was unrealistic (I’ve never heard of such a situation), but it could happen. Has it happened in the modern era of readily available birth control?

MacMadame

Doing all the things
[sarcasm]

The story of Chazz Michael Michaels and Jimmy MacElroy. From to bitter rivals to pairs history making super-team...this is the best figure skating movie ever made! :encore:https://youtu.be/1PYcuxxTF10?t=47

[/sarcasm]

FYI, I really do love this friggin movie. :lol::lol::lol:
I do think it's one of the best figure skating movies ever made. I particularly like that the competitions are done with arena lighting and not spotlights.

giselle23

Whoa! Where's the real figure skating dramas on screen? There's absolutely a smorgasbord of skaters' life stories and on-ice dramas to choose between:

Sale/Pelletier and how they came together and rose quickly to the top; plus their battle with B/S and the SLC judging scandal.

The story of Marissa Castelli & Simon Shnapir who were opposites in their height differences and in their personalities. They didn't get along very well. Yet, they ultimately decided to stay together and ended up making it all the way to the Olympics.

Kavaguti/Smirnov and the odds against Yuka making it, plus the sacrifices she made to become a Russian citizen and to be coached by one of the best pairs figure skaters of all time, Tamara Moskvina.

Meno/Sand and the drama of how they came together after skating with other partners, then falling in love and deciding to split with their partners in order to skate with each other; they became a revered figure skating pairs team in the world of ballet/ dance.

Boy what does it take to tell at least some of the story of how Tai & Randy came together? They don't even have to talk about Tai's suicide attempt post-burnout in the aftermath of the 1980 Olympics, which was already covered in a television movie. There's a great opportunity for diversity and inclusion in casting since the famous African-American skater and coach, Mabel Fairbanks, is responsible for bringing Tai & Randy together when they were carefree young children barrelling around a California rink. The drama is built-in what with T&R winning the second World gold medal by a U.S. pair team 29 years after the Kennedy siblings managed that feat in 1950. Not to mention all of the 1980 Olympics drama when T&R were pitted against the greatest and most decorated female pairs skater of all time (obviously now rivalled by Aliona Savchenko's accomplishments), Irina Rodnina.

Don't even let me get started on the possibilities of telling the story of the rise of Shen/Zhao as the prize pupils of Bin Yao who realized his dream of making China a superpower in the pairs discipline...

And that's just the tip of the iceberg! Aliona's fs journey is way boss and inspiring! Some of what she went through could be the basis of a figure skating pairs drama screenplay.

We need a figure skating aficionado screenwriter, post-haste! :COP:

Did you ever read The Second Mark? The story of Shen and Zhao would make a great movie. Zhao was separated from his family at a young age(around 8) to become an athlete because they saw it as the best way out of their rather impoverished situation. The book tells of his homesickness as a young boy. Shen had a pushy skate-dad who kind of willed her into a partnership with Zhao. Along the way there was snarky jealousy of Shen from other skaters, Shen's eating disorder, a notorious cheating scandal (the toe-tapping judge), their rivalry with Moskvina and her Russian pairs, the SLC judging scandal, their triumphant skate despite Shen's injury at 2003 World's and finally, their Olympic gold medal on the third try. And, of course, their marriage.

Last edited:

misskarne

Handy Emergency Backup Mode

Synnabun

Did you ever read The Second Mark? The story of Shen and Zhao would make a great movie. Zhao was separated from his family at a young age(around 8) to become an athlete because they saw it as the best way out of their rather impoverished situation. The book tells of his homesickness as a young boy. Shen had a pushy skate-dad who kind of willed her into a partnership with Zhao. Along the way there was snarky jealousy of Shen from other skaters, Shen's eating disorder, a notorious cheating scandal (the toe-tapping judge), their rivalry with Moskvina and her Russian pairs, the SLC judging scandal, their triumphant skate despite Shen's injury at 2003 World's and finally, their Olympic gold medal on the third try. And, of course, their marriage.

I would watch the heck out of that movie! It would be so inspiring.

Artistic Skaters

Drawing Figures
*** ‘Spinning Out’: Svetlana Efremova & Charlie Hewson Join Netflix Figure Skating Series :
https://deadline.com/2019/02/spinni...oin-netflix-figure-skating-series-1202561496/
Efremova will play Dasha Glushenko, the sharp-tongued Russian skating coach who rules over Justin and Kat with an iron fist. She believes in Justin’s talent and will do anything to see him succeed. At first, she sees Kat as more of a business opportunity, but as the relationship progresses, she transforms into a kind of protective grandmother figure.

Hewson will play Dr. Parker, the super-charming and polished doctor that many of his young skating patients have a crush on.

misskarne

Handy Emergency Backup Mode
This plot is steadily getting worse and worse and worse, holy shit.

Who really thought it was appropriate to have a bunch of young girls in a sport that demands them be pretty have a crush on a doctor? Really? Are they that fcuking tone deaf?

jmtfti

Doesn't look like it's been posted here yet but Dylan Moscovitch seems to be a skating double for the show or has otherwise been involved. There was quite a bit about the show in his Stories several weeks ago, but here's an account that reposted the relevant photo (last photo in the set): https://www.instagram.com/p/BtSYBrCHRD0/

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information