Netflix/Prime/Hulu/BritBox Binge Watching: Coronavirus Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Allskate

I haven’t had a lot of luck with Prime shows except for Mrs. Maisel and the Summer I Turned Pretty.

I liked the first season of "Mozart in the Jungle."

I just watched "Women are Talking" on Prime. I'm sure that a lot of people would not want to watch it for various reasons as it could be triggering for many and has a lot of talking. I'm glad I watched it. It would be easy to dismiss the movie as just being about this one religious community. (Apparently, it was inspired by a real Mennonite community.) But, IMO, it clearly is not. And the issues relating to responsibility, faith, forgiveness, power, and women's voices go far beyond this community and story.

Allskate

If anyone has read the book Women Talking and watched the movie I’d love to hear what you thought :)
I haven't read the book. But, after watching the movie last night, I wanted to learn about the book and read this article, which discusses both the book and movie and some of the differences:

Spikefan

Rooting for that middle-aged team
I just finished watching Women Talking. And I can't breathe because my nose is completely clogged up, as I've been crying non-stop for the last 20 minutes.

What a movie. Highly recommended.
I planned to watch this on an upcoming flight, so thank you for the warning. Will watch it at home now.

gkelly

I liked the first season of "Mozart in the Jungle."

I enjoyed it all.

And The Man in the High Castle.

And Good Girls Revolt, which didn't get renewed for subsequent seasons.

Those were the shows that got me to subscript to Amazon Prime in the first place.

Otherwise, I mainly use it for an easy way to subscribe to other streaming channels, binge for a month or a few months, and turn them on and off at will on my computer, which is more flexible and convenient than changing cable subscriptions.

Matryeshka

Euler? Euler? Anyone?
I just finished watching Women Talking. And I can't breathe because my nose is completely clogged up, as I've been crying non-stop for the last 20 minutes.

What a movie. Highly recommended.
My mom talked about it for 20 minutes nonstop. The more she talked the less I wanted to watch it as I am so not in the mood for being angry right now--I'm angry enough as it is. :lol:

Allskate

And Good Girls Revolt, which didn't get renewed for subsequent seasons.

I forgot about Good Girls Revolt. I liked that one a lot. I didn't understand why it didn't get renewed. Maybe there just wasn't enough buzz. Well worth watching IMO.

I watched all the seasons of "Mozart in the Jungle," but the first season was, IMO, the best by far, and I thought it got sillier over the seasons. I didn't like what they did with the female lead.

Allskate

I found it deeply, deeply moving. It didn't make me angry at all.

I'm still thinking about it today. It really stayed with me.
I can see why it would make some people angry. But, I can see why some would find it inspiring. IMO, it's definitely moving and thought-provoking. I'm baffled by why "Banshees" got so much more good buzz than "Women Talking." Maybe because of who was doing the talking? Or maybe because the violence for "Women Talking" was not visual enough for some people and too common rather than bizarre? I thought "Women Talking" was the much better movie.

gkelly

I forgot about Good Girls Revolt. I liked that one a lot. I didn't understand why it didn't get renewed. Maybe there just wasn't enough buzz. Well worth watching IMO.

VGThuy

I can see why it would make some people angry. But, I can see why some would find it inspiring. IMO, it's definitely moving and thought-provoking. I'm baffled by why "Banshees" got so much more good buzz than "Women Talking." Maybe because of who was doing the talking? Or maybe because the violence for "Women Talking" was not visual enough for some people and too common rather than bizarre? I thought "Women Talking" was the much better movie.
You can take solace in the fact that between the two, only one of them is an Oscar-winning movie. ;)

Allskate

You can take solace in the fact that between the two, only one of them is an Oscar-winning movie.
Yeah, it's a small comfort. But, Martin McDonagh got nominated for best director and Sarah Polley did not. Also, buzz matters in terms of selling tickets, getting viewers, and getting future jobs.

VGThuy

Yeah, it's a small comfort. But, Martin McDonagh got nominated for best director and Sarah Polley did not. Also, buzz matters in terms of selling tickets, getting viewers, and getting future jobs.
I totally get what you mean and it’s true. I think I’m ok with it somewhat even though I believe more people should watch Women Talking since Polley is pretty well-respected and known and most of the core cast are known too. I think Polley likes doing less buzzy films because it gives her more freedom. Even as a child actress, she left Road to Avonlea soon after Disney bought the rights to the American distribution and started meddling with the content and show. That’s why I was so ecstatic when she won, especially in a ceremony where Disney paid for a freaking trailer to be played during the ceremony itself.

flyingsit

Just watched Netflix’s new documentary on the disappearance of flight MH370. Let me save everyone a couple hours and say there is nothing new here. Nobody agrees on anything to do with this tragedy, not the journalists, family members, experts, armchair experts, or the authorities. There are plenty of questions and very few answers. There are two quotes from this series that tells you everything you need to know: (1) “This search is not a needle in a haystack. We are still looking for the haystack.” (2) “Opinions are like as*****s everyone’s got one.” Plus it is super hard watching the families still grieving their lost loved ones.
I watched it on my flight yesterday and some of it was just laughable. No theory is too farfetched, even when in direct conflict with other theories presented.

Matryeshka

Euler? Euler? Anyone?
I loved the book Daisy Jones and the Six. I've watched the first two episodes and I liked it but I didn't find it compelling enough to watch the rest yet for I think two reasons. While Riley Keough is pretty damn close to how I imagined Daisy, the rest of the casting is really questionable at best. Sam Claflin as Billy Dunne is so unbelievable wrong on so many levels. Even if you hadn't read the book I can't imagine anyone buying him as that character. None of the band to me is right, although I can see why Suki Waterhouse was cast--it's not my interpretation of that character, but I can see how it could be an interpretation. The rest though, yech. The other problem I have is while the interview format works well in the book but not as well in this; I also think they're trying WAY TOO HARD to make the obvious connection to Fleetwood Mac in the series. They've styled Daisy to be a little bit too much like a red haired Stevie Nicks.

TanithandBenFan

Author of the Ice and Edge Series
I tried to watch the second episode of Daisy Jones and I was still bored. I just don't find the characters, especially the guys, exciting enough. I tried!

I finished S3 of Outer Banks and it was my favorite one yet. The show is so ridiculous but in a good way.

sk8pics

EO is available for streaming now on Amazon Prime. I was waiting for it to come to a theater near me at a time I could go, but it will be better to watch at home as I’ll probably be bawling at some point. Even better is that I have $4.50 in Amazon digital rewards, so the movie will only cost me $2.50.

Spikefan

Rooting for that middle-aged team
We did a free trial of Showtime so we could watch EEAAO and are now watching Yellowjackets. We are really enjoying it, great cast and suspense. We will have to cancel the trial before S2 is out but hopefully we can find another one in the future if S2 has good reviews.

Mugs

The strong suspicion was always that the pilot did that. It was there from the beginning of this. This is 2021 but .….

We'll never know if the pilot of MH370 downed the plane on purpose but that is certainly a more plausible theory than a "Russian Agent" took over the plane and secretly crashed it to distract from the annexation of Crimea. Unless I missed a news report, pilots are still allowed to deactivate transponders on commercial planes. I can't believe after MH370 that practice wasn't stopped.

I just finished watching "The Glory". It's a Korean series about a woman who was brutally bullied in high school and years later exacts revenge on the bullies. Subtitles made it a little less easy to follow but I thought is was a good story.

Aussie Willy

Hates both vegemite and peanut butter
I just finished watching "The Glory". It's a Korean series about a woman who was brutally bullied in high school and years later exacts revenge on the bullies. Subtitles made it a little less easy to follow but I thought is was a good story.
One of my Airbnb guests told me about this one. She thought it was really good.

sk9tingfan

Sanditon Season 3 on PBS Masterpiece Theater began last evening. More intrigue from all corners. Will Charlotte finally wind up with Mr. Coulbourne as opposed to her farmer fiance? Georgiana may face the loss off her inheritance and Lady Denham may want to "hose" her nephew Edward into submission, but he's surreptitiously up to his old tricks. New characters have appeared on the scene whose personalities and characteristic promise additional intrigues.

Last edited:

vgerdes

Just finished Carnival Row season 2 and loved it! To bad the show was cancelled but it ended quite nicely.
Honestly, I think Prime may have blown the budget with "Rings of Power" and decided to do away with some shows it might otherwise have kept. I liked this show and am going to miss it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information