Netflix/Prime/Hulu/BritBox Binge Watching: Coronavirus Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Allskate

Definitely get a free offer, it is a highly enjoyable movie. I had several generations of family over last weekend and everyone liked it, rare for a musical.
For people who don't have Roku or aren't buying Apple products, you can get a one week free trial of Apple TV. Plenty of time to watch Spirited. I've never subscribed to Apple TV before, but I'm going to do it for the free week and then probably another month. That way, over the holidays, I can watch a few of the shows I've never seen.

MacMadame

Doing all the things
It was fun and also touching. I laughed so hard but also teared up at the end. Usually these kinds of specials are pretty bad but this seems like it's a very short movie.

Matryeshka

Euler? Euler? Anyone?
I started watching Drink Masters on Netflix thinking it would be nice to have cocktail ideas to try. Yeah. Those drinks will never be made in my house. I didn't even know there was such a thing as avocado liqueur :lol:

Also Enola Holmes season 2 is out. :cheer2:

I watched an episode of Drink Masters. I think I'm about as likely to make one of those drinks as I am to make one of the showstoppers from the Great British Baking Show. :lol:

I'm looking forward to Enola Holmes.
I three watched Drink Masters and am looking forward to Enola Holmes

I think Drink Masters was a good idea but it just missed...something. Like when I watch Blown Away, Project Runway and especially Top Chef I feel like I learned something, either about the business end, cost, aesthetic/flavor profile, something. While I will never make glass, clothes, or fancy-schmancy scallops, I do come out with an appreciation for or an understanding of an aspect of art, fashion, and cuisine I did not have before. I like the judges deliberating and the :argue: I watched the whole season because I do love a cocktail but I feel like I'm just as clueless about mixology. I didn't really understand their judging decisions. And as hokey as it is, I missed the mixtestants having a budget and shopping for ingredients and having to please different groups of people. There was only one episode where they actually prepared drinks for a group of outside people and I really missed that. There were no allergy/vegan/limited ingredient challenges; it was all very one note. While I've no doubt the judges are experts in their field, I have no idea why/how/who they are. They never really explained their reasoning to the audience. You only need to watch one ep of the other talent-driven reality shows I mentioned to know the judges mean bizness. Tom Collichio and Ninagarcia are NOT HAVING NONSENSE. I know nothing more about the judges on the last episode than the first. I don't really understand fat washing a drink or what they mean by balance or how pairings work with cocktails. I never got a good sense of what any of their drinks tasted like, while I have on Top Chef. I have looked at collections from PR and Blown Away and thought, if I were rich, I'd buy from them in the future. Trust me when I say I do NOT want to EVER drink a cocktail that tastes like peanut butter and bananas with a bacon lollipop or that has hay or has been washed in duck fat (all real things on the show).

Nothing about Drink Masters was really bad but nothing was really good which is a shame. I have no culinary or artistic talent but I make a damn good drink and was deeply disappointed by watching an entire season and felt inspired to make...nothing.

MacMadame

Doing all the things
How is Enola Homes 2? I want to watch it but I am always leery of sequels when I enjoyed the original very much. There is a tendency to be disappointed.

Kruss

Not Auto-Tuned
How is Enola Homes 2? I want to watch it but I am always leery of sequels when I enjoyed the original very much. There is a tendency to be disappointed.

Just as much fun as the first. I loved it. I don't think you'll be disappointed.

I hope they continue with this series; it's really well done.

vgerdes

No Dr. Reid? No thanks.
This is how I feel as well. I may give it a try if I'm searching for something to get me through a snowy day indoors, but it's not must-see TV as it might have been if Reid was still there.

LeafOnTheWind

Wednesday on Netflix has the obvious Tim Burton touch. Wednesday Addams (Jenna Ortega) is no longer at home with the rest of the Addams family after getting expelled from her most recent high school. Morticia (Catherine Zeta-Zones) and Gomez (Luis Guzman) send her to their alma mater Nevermore. She finds herself involved in a mystery to be solved.

I am only 1 episode in so we will see how it progresses but looks promising so far. Tim Burton directed the first episode and he is one of 3 directors for the whole series. It seems to be getting decent reviews overall.

Christina Ricci, former Wednesday Addams, appears as one of Wednesday's teachers.

Last edited:

sk9tingfan

Not on the the streaming services, but definitely new to me, Money Court on CNBC at 11 PM on Wednesday evening. It stars Kenneth O'Leary and Bethenny Frankel, and examines investment strategies undertaken by business owners. I didn't know it existed but will watch Season 1 to see if I like it.

Bunny Hop

Queen of the Workaround
I thought it was as good as the original and potentially better because it didn't need to do so much setting up of the premise. Also there was more Sherlock Holmes, and they got rid of the annoying Mycroft.

Cachoo

I'm also watching "The Peripheral" on Prime. I'm curious about the storyline here because of how it moves around in time. I also believe we need to thank Ireland for Jack Reynor. :swoon:

genevieve

drinky typo pbp, closet hugger (she/her)
Staff member
I thought it was as good as the original and potentially better because it didn't need to do so much setting up of the premise. Also there was more Sherlock Holmes, and they got rid of the annoying Mycroft.
(((Finnick)))

I finished Reboot, and thought that surely there were more episodes coming - it's a short season, but also, that finale was completely un-season-finale-like. Sounds like there is not a green light for a 2nd season yet. I hope they get one.

After the attention on Christina Applegate's health issues, I decided to try Dead To Me. Two episodes in and I'm not sure I'll continue. I think knowing a central reveal going into it may have made it harder to embrace (although it does get revealed pretty quickly).

Finally getting around to finishing S3 of Umbrella Academy.

clairecloutier

We just finished Andor. I thought the series was really slow getting started, and I don’t think the first couple episodes were very well-designed/structured. But it picked up a LOT midway through, and some of the characters and world-building and costume/set design were really good. So I was really enjoying it toward the end. I hope the second season will be even better.

Before Andor, we watched a 2015 limited series on HBOMax called Show Me a Hero, which is based on a real-life struggle around the construction of affordable housing units in Yonkers, NY, in the 1980s. This was pretty fascinating to me, as I grew up in that time period and only a half hour away from Yonkers. This show was produced and developed by David Simon, the creator of The Wire, and has the same kind of focus on how public policy decisions and socioeconomic realities ripple through a community and affect people's day-to-day lives. Although the story is set in the 80s, I couldn't believe how relevant it felt to today's issues. I'd recommend it.

LeafOnTheWind

We just finished Andor. I thought the series was really slow getting started, and I don’t think the first couple episodes were very well-designed/structured. But it picked up a LOT midway through, and some of the characters and world-building and costume/set design were really good. So I was really enjoying it toward the end. I hope the second season will be even better.
He spent a lot of time standing around looking confused in several episodes but yes it did pickup and I would watch a season 2.

jamesy

delightful
Guess I have to watch Wednesday now! LOL
I saw the promotions for this and didn't think anything of it. Then my niece was watching an episode on Thanksgiving and I saw bits and pieces of it and I ended up starting the series myself.

Cachoo

"Slow Horses" has returned on Appletv. Gary Oldman is so good: His character is both revolting and fascinating simultaneously. And he's one of the good guys. The new mystery looks compelling.

TanithandBenFan

Author of the Ice and Edge Series
I blew through The Sex Lives of College Girls last week. Very easy and enjoyable watch!

I’ve been stuck halfway through S5 of The Crown for weeks and am much more excited about the Harry and Meghan doc coming out than finishing this season

skategal

Bunny mama
I finished The Crown season 5. It was okay but only okay. Still think Charles is getting to good edit. :rolleyes:

I started My Unorthodox Life Season 2. I’ve lost respect for all of them except for Miriam and Aron. :lol:

I watched the Christmas movie “The Noel Diaries.” Plot was very weak but it’s okay for a Hallmark Christmas type of thing.

Was cracking up laughing at one point as someone named in the movie has the same first and last name as my grandmother’s oldest brother. :lol:

Spikefan

Rooting for that middle-aged team
I finally decided to pick back up with The Crown and just watched the Mou Mou episode (El-Fayed story). That’s been my favorite so far of S5. I definitely find the peripheral characters more interesting than the Royals.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information