Netflix/Prime/Hulu/BritBox Binge Watching: Coronavirus Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

LilJen

Reaching out with my hand sensitively
"Slow Horses" has returned on Appletv. Gary Oldman is so good: His character is both revolting and fascinating simultaneously. And he's one of the good guys. The new mystery looks compelling.
I told my husband that Gary Oldman certainly does the “old greasy drinks and eats too much and hardly ever showers” look well.

Highly recommend Extraordinary Attorney Woo. (Netflix)

clairecloutier

We watched the first season of The Good Fight. I liked it but didn’t love it. The characters & actors were good, but I felt the pacing could have been a little faster? Also, I didn’t like Maia’s family much. (I guess we’re not supposed to like them. 😏) Does the show improve in the later seasons?

Cachoo

We watched the first season of The Good Fight. I liked it but didn’t love it. The characters & actors were good, but I felt the pacing could have been a little faster? Also, I didn’t like Maia’s family much. (I guess we’re not supposed to like them. 😏) Does the show improve in the later seasons?
I believe it does as it goes farther into the political realm. I especially liked the final season. It was weird and had a lot to say.

text_skate

First I had difficulties, then in summer I stumbled upon a dvd box set in my library and binged seasons 1-5 over a couple of weeks. It gets better in a way. Throughout seasons 1-3 I had the impression the writers didn't know, what to do or where to go with the Maia character. But the rest was interesting. Season 4 was strange, probably because it was cut short by pandemic. But you'll need to watch it to understand later seasons. 5 was better again.
I enjoy the Diane character a lot, Marisa too. Sometime I will watch season 6. Watched 2 episodes already, but other stuff came along as on bbc iplayer Rogue heroes or on itv player Strike (I love my VPN)

marbri

Hey, Kool-Aid!
Did you watch The Good Wife?

I really enjoyed the Good Fight but am not sure how I would have reacted to the first season if I hadn't watched The Good Wife.

rfisher

Let the skating begin
Yellowstone ended in a cliff hanger last week and Reddit was convinced they knew what was going to happen this week They were so wrong. So wrong. It's been crickets since Sunday

marbri

Hey, Kool-Aid!
Watching, in stunned silence, a just dropped series on Netflix titled "Don't Pick Up The Phone". Just finished Episode 1 and I still can't believe it's real.
Watched it. Don't think 3 episodes was necessary but :eek: that this is real. Hard to believe it happened once let alone multiple times.

Reactions: DFJ

LeafOnTheWind

Just be prepared that skaters are going to find the Willow emo music in the closing credits. Emo girl cover of Black Hole Sun this week. These covers are a travesty to metal and alt rock.

I'm not really getting into this series. So far the most memorable parts are the crappy emo cover endings. That's not memorable in a good way. I was really hoping to like this one more.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 221

The White Lotus (Sicily) has concluded. My question: Where are we going next year? I’m ready to go.

I didn’t know of White Lotus before everyone started asking me if I had seen it - probably because I’ve spent a decent amount of time on that beach in Cefalù (which is like 200km from Taormina, where the hotel scenes are and where the characters are purported to be). I watched both seasons in a couple of days. I haven’t binge-watched a series so quickly since House of Cards. I’m all in for next year, wherever they’re going!

Cachoo

I didn’t know of White Lotus before everyone started asking me if I had seen it - probably because I’ve spent a decent amount of time on that beach in Cefalù (which is like 200km from Taormina, where the hotel scenes are and where the characters are purported to be). I watched both seasons in a couple of days. I haven’t binge-watched a series so quickly since House of Cards. I’m all in for next year, wherever they’re going!
I loved it. I liked Mike White's earlier series, "Enlightened" and my hope is he can snag his star, Laura Dern, for a trip to the White Lotus. My one regret is no Murray Bartlett every season. Loved that guy.

I’m only halfway through the first season and it’s so delightfully indulgent. I want to binge it, but I’m glad I can’t (life gets in the way) because I also want to savour it a bit.

D

Deleted member 221

My one regret is no Murray Bartlett every season. Loved that guy.

Maybe they can do a prequel with more of him and Jennifer Coolidge?

I’ve been mentally in Cefalù for the past few days after binge watching S2. The cinematography was fantastic, and I loved all of the shots of Sicily, even if they melded places that are hours apart into one.

Cachoo

Maybe they can do a prequel with more of him and Jennifer Coolidge?

I’ve been mentally in Cefalù for the past few days after binge watching S2. The cinematography was fantastic, and I loved all of the shots of Sicily, even if they melded places that are hours apart into one.
Yes...beyond the mystery and message involved it was just so beautiful to watch. I'm glad to read it really is all that in reality.

tony

Throwing the (rule)book at them
I loved it. I liked Mike White's earlier series, "Enlightened" and my hope is he can snag his star, Laura Dern, for a trip to the White Lotus. My one regret is no Murray Bartlett every season. Loved that guy.

I'm bingeing it now, and I'm loving it too. Mike White was all over The Amazing Race and Survivor for several seasons as a contestant, but I've never really gotten into anything he's done. Well, besides School of Rock.

There are so many parallels to other things- the whole vibe (almost done with the first season) is very Twin Peaks to me, which is one of my all-time faves. Slow, intricate character development and a lot of stuff that likely amounts to nothing but still interesting, and I was thinking Shane was modeled off The Office's Andy Bernard the first few episodes (and actually he was briefly in the show too), but now I'm sure of it as he was just in a scene with a Cornell hat on.

White definitely knows how to appease the gays: Molly Shannon, Jennifer Coolidge, I know Aubrey Plaza is coming, etc. ;)

TanithandBenFan

Author of the Ice and Edge Series
Binge-watched the first 76 episodes of Emily in Paris and found that this season is less frustrating than the prior two. Emily is less of a ditz and smarter than previous seasons.
That’s good to hear since I basically hate watched the first two seasons lol.

I just started S2 of Dead to Me. I can’t believe I slept on this show for so long. It’s so good! Love how they have a new twist or cliffhanger every episode.

sk8pics

I‘m always behind on these things, but I recently started streaming The Morning Show on Apple TV+. OMG, what a good show with such great performances. It wears on me a little at times because there’s so much yelling, but it is really engaging. Jennifer Anniston is terrific but so is Reese Witherspoon. And the guy who plays Mitch is great too, lots of little nuances in his performance. I’m only on like episode 6 of the first season. My free trial runs until January 23 or so, so hopefully I can finish before then.

Cachoo

I'm bingeing it now, and I'm loving it too. Mike White was all over The Amazing Race and Survivor for several seasons as a contestant, but I've never really gotten into anything he's done. Well, besides School of Rock.

There are so many parallels to other things- the whole vibe (almost done with the first season) is very Twin Peaks to me, which is one of my all-time faves. Slow, intricate character development and a lot of stuff that likely amounts to nothing but still interesting, and I was thinking Shane was modeled off The Office's Andy Bernard the first few episodes (and actually he was briefly in the show too), but now I'm sure of it as he was just in a scene with a Cornell hat on.

White definitely knows how to appease the gays: Molly Shannon, Jennifer Coolidge, I know Aubrey Plaza is coming, etc. ;)
I first found White when I saw “Chuck and Buck” and was pretty unsettled by the experience whether it was White’s character who seemed so childlike or his friend who could not be honest with himself or anyone else. It was a strange film but unforgettable. You just knew you would hear from White again. “Enlightened” was a hoot but there seems to be a dark undercurrent in everything he does and it is there too. White is a treasure.

clairecloutier

I enjoyed "Enlightened," although it was also kind of hard to watch at times, but I didn't get into the first season of "White Lotus." Watched 2 or 3 episodes but just wasn't that interested. My husband did finish watching season 1 and thought it was just okay. Maybe we should give season 2 a try??

We started watching My Brilliant Friend on HBO and have been quite taken in. I haven't read the books yet and am kind of glad I didn't, as it makes the show more suspenseful. I like the focus on relationships, character, and post-war Italy, and also enjoy the fact that I don't really know where the story is going. (Well, I'm beginning to have more of an idea as we get into the second season, but still very intrigued.)

Cachoo

I enjoyed "Enlightened," although it was also kind of hard to watch at times, but I didn't get into the first season of "White Lotus." Watched 2 or 3 episodes but just wasn't that interested. My husband did finish watching season 1 and thought it was just okay. Maybe we should give season 2 a try??

We started watching My Brilliant Friend on HBO and have been quite taken in. I haven't read the books yet and am kind of glad I didn't, as it makes the show more suspenseful. I like the focus on relationships, character, and post-war Italy, and also enjoy the fact that I don't really know where the story is going. (Well, I'm beginning to have more of an idea as we get into the second season, but still very intrigued.)
I've only seen the first series on 'Brilliant' and it is so good. And those girls/women...wow. The soundtrack is emotional and lush and compelling. I haven't moved into the sequel yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information