Netflix/Prime/Hulu/BritBox Binge Watching: Coronavirus Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

jamesy

delightful
It really is the best reality game show, although when they return for another season I think some small tweaks are definitely necessary. I think I said it in my earlier Mole post in the thread, but the soundtrack for the first series was just perfect, as was the execution ceremony. I also think the editing of having a cliffhanger at the end of one episode to find out who goes home at the beginning of the next is odd.
I wonder if this is a Netflix thing to keep people watching as many episodes. The Circle had a similar edit where the episode would end on a "dramatic" moment instead of ending with a player's elimination.

tony

Throwing the (rule)book at them
I wonder if this is a Netflix thing to keep people watching as many episodes. The Circle had a similar edit where the episode would end on a "dramatic" moment instead of ending with a player's elimination.
I’m sure that’s the reason, but the flow of the episodes for me is so weird because of it. Having read Reddit threads throughout the run of the show (especially those who are new to the premise and think the most literal things the producers choose to show us are leading us who the Mole is rather than any of it being subtle..), it wouldn’t surprise me if they think they need this tactic to keep the audience.

The phone executions need to go, though. And they need to bring back the contestants volunteering to go first. The TV screen was such a better and more intense method IMO.

emason

@tony I loved The Mole back in the day and had no idea it had been revived. I just binged the whole season starting last night. Thanks for mentioning it; if it hadn’t been for you, I never would have known.

LeafOnTheWind

The School for Good and Evil on Netflix is a fun watch with a lot of big names. It's worth your time if you like fairy tale fantasy genres. Great for casual viewing fun and a bowl of popcorn. Love Michelle Yeoh as the Beauty teacher for the side of good and I wish she had a much bigger role along with Laurence Fishbourne as the school master (Morpheus forever!!!!!). Kerry Washington and Charlize Theron must of had fun being the heads of good and evil. They go all in with the roles. The two Sofias also go all in as the two friends in the "wrong" school.

It won't be the greatest masterpiece ever but worth it just for fun.

ETA: Thrilled that for once romance doesn't win. They do have brief romantic encounters but friendship wins the day! You don't have to be a teen girl and get a man to be happy. Two girls chose to support each other and that was enough. :cheer2:

Last edited:

jamesy

delightful
I finally had time to finish The Mole. Overall I like it and hope it leads to more seasons, but like @tony I hope they do some changes. I liked Alex as the host and hope she returns if they make more.

I agree there were issues with the editing and the reveal of the Mole was so rushed it felt like an afterthought. It seemed that previous editions went through the missions more thoroughly showing what the Mole did to sabotage them and not just make it seem like the sabotages were random and done only if the Mole felt like it.

It felt like a huge red flag that the Mole was
Kesi when she made a big show about switching briefcases with Avori right at the very last moment. Then Avori went home taking $1000 from the pot when she would have taken $0 and afterwards NO ONE MENTIONED IT ALL. They didn't have one confessional or have Alex comment that if they didn't switch briefcases they would have earned all the money. It didn't even come up when they were going through the Mole's sabotages at the reveal. I know it was only $1000 but it seemed oddly lazy and a missed opportunity to have one more "look at what the Mole did" moment.

Cachoo

I am perusing "28 Days Haunted" on Netflix because I don't believe much of this and I always find these paranormal investigations comical. These people are stuck together for 28 days. THAT should be interested. The premise is an idea put forth by the Warrens. Lorraine and Ed Warren spoke at my university many, many moons ago. I found them sincere but this stuff I see on tv---"ooh something grabbed me!" Right.... I want to see a room full of toys swirling around ala "Poltergeist." Sorry if offended any believers....

Ananas Astra

Get woke, go broke!
That "House of the Dragon" season finale just ripped my heart out. I knew what was coming, but seeing it...phew...tough stuff.

But can we please acknowledge the genius of Matt Smith and Emma D'Arcy? These two are everything and whatever war crimes Daemon and Rhaenyra are going to commit in season 2...I am standing with the rightful Queen of the Seven Kingdoms and her Prince Consort.

Last edited:

MacMadame

Doing all the things
Prince Daemon is not a good guy. If I stand with him, it would only be to push him off a cliff if the opportunity arose.

Bunny Hop

Queen of the Workaround
That "House of the Dragon" season finale just ripped my heart out. I knew what was coming, but seeing it...phew...tough stuff.
The season finale was the best episode of the series. I'm still not on the GoT/HotD fan van but I did enjoy it.
But can we please acknowledge the genius of Matt Smith and Emma D'Arcy?
Totally agree. They are excellent, Matt Smith in particular. I keep having to remind myself that Daemon is a villain and I'm not meant to like him.

Ananas Astra

Get woke, go broke!
Totally agree. They are excellent, Matt Smith in particular. I keep having to remind myself that Daemon is a villain and I'm not meant to like him.
Daemon is the epitome of a "grey character". He is also George R. R. Martin's favorite character in the entire saga. It's the grey characters that are the most fascinating and interesting because they are a great mix of vices and virtues.

TanithandBenFan

Author of the Ice and Edge Series
Really enjoyed the first episode of White Lotus S2. Already like the characters more than last season. Except Jennifer Coolidge still needs to go. I hope she gets killed off.

LeafOnTheWind

I'm watching season 2 of The Vow about NXIVM. Episode 3 is really upsetting me.

They did help people suffering with OCD and Tourette's in the sense that their tics went away. One of the women left Albany after hearing about the brand. She said that her tics improved but NXIVM broke her in other ways. They tried to put such a head trip on her for leaving. They even brought up that her Tourette's would come back after leaving.

She's strong because one thing does not cancel out the other. She was right to leave and the tools she received to help her Tourette's left with her and can stay with her. She didn't need to be in a toxic environment. I hope she can distinguish the difference between good and bad messages told to her so she can maintain the progress she made. They did give her something that changed and improved her life. Then they tried to take it away again by controlling her.

I also feel bad for her trying to explain this to her father. I feel like he's focusing too much on the good and not acknowledging enough of the damage from the bad.

Last edited:

VGThuy

A new documentary about Selena Gomez drops tomorrow on Apple+. I'm interested to see it after watching her in Only Murders. (She was my favorite part of the show.) Here's an interview about it with her:

www.vulture.com/2022/11/selena-gomez-and-alek-keshishian-on-my-mind-and-me.html#_ga=2.199216687.1488488628.1667480453-892098657.1646834825
I used to know her music but then when I started singing some, my sister told me I confused some of her songs with Demi Lavato’s. :wideeyes: I did get some right, though! Anyway, the point is I like her and am glad to see her career is going strong.

MacMadame

Doing all the things
I used to know her music but then when I started singing some, my sister told me I confused some of her songs with Demi Lavato’s. :wideeyes: I did get some right, though! Anyway, the point is I like her and am glad to see her career is going strong.
That's funny because the two of them are friends. (Or were at some point; I don't keep up with this stuff 100%.)

I like them both as far as what I know about them. Both were child stars and both have gone through "stuff" because Selina has lupus and needed a kidney transplant and Demi has been dealing with an eating disorder and addiction so I think a documentary about either of them would be way more interesting than most documentaries about 20-30 somethings (they are both 30).

LeafOnTheWind

I started watching Drink Masters on Netflix thinking it would be nice to have cocktail ideas to try. Yeah. Those drinks will never be made in my house. I didn't even know there was such a thing as avocado liqueur :lol:

Also Enola Holmes season 2 is out. :cheer2:

Allskate

I started watching Drink Masters on Netflix thinking it would be nice to have cocktail ideas to try. Yeah. Those drinks will never be made in my house. I didn't even know there was such a thing as avocado liqueur :lol:

Also Enola Holmes season 2 is out. :cheer2:

I watched an episode of Drink Masters. I think I'm about as likely to make one of those drinks as I am to make one of the showstoppers from the Great British Baking Show. :lol:

I'm looking forward to Enola Holmes.

LeafOnTheWind

I'm only 10 minutes into the Weird Al so-called biography on the Roku channel and already laughing.

ETA: Apparently all the cool high school kids go to polka parties and play accordion to the great shame of their parents. :rofl:

Follow his dream to become the best (well not technically the best) but most famous accordion player in a specific genre of music. :respec: :rockstar:

Last edited:

clairecloutier

We have been dipping into some older shows on HBOMax.

We watched Enlightened with Laura Dern, which is a 2011-13 show that she co-created with Mike White (who went on to create current hit White Lotus). I had seen this show on a lot of "best-of" lists and was drawn to it because it was a dramedy centered around office-/work-related stuff. It was good ... Laura Dern's character Amy is super-cringe at times, yet there is so much funniness to the aburdity of her, and there are also a discomfiting number of truth bombs about work in corporate America. Mike White is also really funny, playing Amy's friend Tyler.

Then this week, we watched Olive Kitteridge, a 2014 miniseries with Frances McDormand, based on a book by Elizabeth Strout. I haven't read the book yet, but I was intrigued because the author lives in my parents' town in Maine. And the show is set in Maine (in a fictional coastal town). It's really great--I enjoyed it so much. The acting and writing are really stellar. The characters feel like real people you know. I enjoyed this series more than anything else I've seen lately.

Last edited:

Cachoo

We have been dipping into some older shows on HBOMax.

We watched Enlightened with Laura Dern, which is a 2011-13 show that she co-created with Mike White (who went on to create current hit White Lotus). I had seen this show on a lot of "best-of" lists and was drawn to it because it was a dramedy centered around office-/work-related stuff. It was good ... Laura Dern's character Amy is super-cringe at times, yet there is so much funniness to the aburdity of her, and there are also a discomiting number of truth bombs about work in corporate America. Mike White is also really funny, playing Amy's friend Tyler.

Then this week, we watched Olive Kitteridge, a 2014 miniseries with Frances McDormand, based on a book by Elizabeth Strout. I haven't read the book yet, but I was intrigued because the author lives in my parents' town in Maine. And the show is set in Maine (in a fictional coastal town). It's really great--I enjoyed it so much. The acting and writing are really stellar. The characters feel like real people you know. I enjoyed this series more than anything else I've seen lately.
Such a treasure trove of shows----I recently watched "Warm Springs" which detailed FDR's battle with polio and how it changed him and, I think, made him a more compassionate president in a time when it was sorely needed. They (HBO) have rarely missed the mark over the years when it comes to quality output. And HBOMAX is creating their own content as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information