Netflix/Prime/Hulu/BritBox Binge Watching: Coronavirus Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cachoo

I could not sleep last night and binged a new series on Prime called “Night Sky.” Until the final three episodes this series moves slowly but that is ok because there are more questions than answers and the actors are first rate. Sissy Spacek and J.K. Simmons star in this science fiction series. It is set up for more seasons to unravel the mystery we encounter from the first episode on.

Lacey

I am way behind the times, but we just finished "Good Girls," started in 2/2018, it is a show starring Christina Hendricks, Retta and Mae Whitman. I don't know if anyone on here has ever posted about this show, it was four seasons long--some up to 16 episodes, and I still couldn't tell you how it finished...did anyone else here watch the whole thing? Apparently they were contemplating the fifth year and dropped it suddenly. I have a personal policy of trying to finish everything I start, but I thought that, while this had good acting, it was ridiculously never-ending so we might drop out of the next serial if we can't follow it as with this one because it dragged on for seasons and seasons.

MacMadame

Doing all the things
I finally finished "The Good Place". I don't know. I enjoyed the writing and the acting and each episode but I felt like they dragged the whole concept out too long. If I wasn't binge-watching it, I wonder if I would have fallen off at some point.

clairecloutier

We watched Devs, a limited series released in 2020, on Hulu.

For anyone who missed it .... I'd give it a B+. The premise is interesting: Silicon Valley billionaire starts development group to work on top-secret project. A programmer is brought into the group--is shocked by what he sees--and is then killed when he tries to take pictures of the code. The developer's girlfriend tries to solve the mystery of his death (which is covered up and presented as a suicide).

The ambience, scenery, sets, and music are really good. The acting is pretty good too (with the exception, to my mind, of Alison Pill, who is rather vacant in her role). The plot, however, starts to go off the rails and become somewhat wild in the last couple episodes. The top-secret project turns out to be time travel ... and I feel like time travel stories just always inevitably become too convoluted.

sk9tingfan

PBS has announced a new four-part rendition of "Tom Jones"! The original 1963 movie, which is really worth seeing (one of my all-time favorites) due to its tongue in cheek delivery, antics and gorgeous cinematography. It can be rented at Amazon Prime.

Cachoo

For Memorial Day I wasn't looking for a traditional "war" film but something sweeping and romantic. Years ago, on Masterpiece, I saw a wonderful limited series called "Fortunes of War" starring Emma Thompson and Kenneth Branagh. They were twenty-something and married and were terrific together on screen. Well I was perusing YouTube last night and there it was! So many series are dated and don't hold up well over time. This was as good today as it was then. And maybe, in some ways better, as fascism is still topical today and because whether Romania, Egypt or Greece the locales were gorgeous. Truly first-rate.

LeafOnTheWind

If you want to see Daniel Radcliffe singing and dancing in assless chaps you want to watch Season 3 of Miracle Workers. Don't worry, you don't need to watch the seasons in order. Each one is a different story.

Season 1: Heaven
Season 2: The Dark Ages
Season 3: The Oregon Trail

It's a comedy ensemble team and so far I'm finding Season 3 to be the funniest.

It is streaming on HBO Max and TBS.com as far as I know. TBS might have season 3 streaming free but I'm not sure. I was at a friend's house and don't know what they subscribed to.

Last edited:

clairecloutier

We watched the first 2 episodes of Stranger Things, and I almost don't feel like continuing. So far it's just been nonstop misery--a bit much even by this show's standards. :scream:
Vicious teen bullying, extreme torture, horrific murders by alien life form, and more

jamesy

delightful
We watched the first 2 episodes of Stranger Things, and I almost don't feel like continuing. So far it's just been nonstop misery--a bit much even by this show's standards. :scream:
Vicious teen bullying, extreme torture, horrific murders by alien life form, and more
If you can, try to get to episode 4. No spoilers but Dear Billy is an amazing episode.

Cachoo

I am enjoying this season of "Stranger Things" more than the previous two seasons. I do want to give Nancy a sandwich though.

manhn

I'm in the minority who preferred seasons 2 and 3. I finished season one more out of obligation, it seemed Joyce was crying the entire season. It was season 2 where I had a better appreciation of the show (the actor who plays Will was soo good--what happened to him this season?) and season 3 was the most fun to me (and whose vision of the 80s most aligns to mine). Season 4 is fine but not great. Yes, episode 4 is the best episode.

text_skate

I've never been much of a science fiction fan. And just by chance I had to watch the first Star Wars movie in 90s with friends on TV. I totally liked it, ran into the next video rental and binged the other two. I also enjoyed the first film of the new set. Ewan McGregor always seems a perfect choice for the younger Obi-Wan. Now I'm thrilled that one of my neighbours has Disney. We had wine and snacks for the first episodes :). Can recommend.

I started watching The Afterparty. So fun! I’m not done yet, but I’m really enjoying it. The Yasper episode was especially delightful. Also love that the episodes are every bit as long as they need to be but are still short.

Miezekatze

The 4th episode of stranger things 4 was really great!

And I ordered the Max sweater from a new stranger things clothing collection :shuffle:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information