Netflix/Prime/Hulu/BritBox Binge Watching: Coronavirus Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

gkelly

Speaking of Homeland: We stopped watching it after Season 2. Some of what happened in Season 2, especially the ending of that season, just didn't ring true or seemed too sensationalistic.

Did it get better after that? Should I give it another try?

Based on memory, if you didn't like Season 2, you probably won't like Season 3 either, which was mostly about dealing with the repercussions of the previous season(s).

You might want to just read a recap and then try season 4, see if you enjoy the new storylines.

text_skate

Speaking of Homeland: We stopped watching it after Season 2. Some of what happened in Season 2, especially the ending of that season, just didn't ring true or seemed too sensationalistic.

Short answer: No.
All in all I liked the first three seasons. The first season was really good. The second I fast forwarded some of the plot, in season three a bit more. Four and five I liked tidbits. Season 6 was better, and 7 I haven't watched yet. I started, but stopped. Now with my DVD collection from the library I will watch highlights and then move on to watch season 7, and if I'm ok with it, I will watch 8.

I particularly had difficulties with the season which is set in Berlin. It was so unbelivable, the way they depicted Berlin, procedures, protocols in Berlin/Germany, and particularly geography, it was really enoying. Probably New Yorkers could say the same for season 6.

What I really liked, was Hatufim (Prisoners of War), the story on which Homeland was based. Hatufim focuses more on the returning prisoners and their way back into life. I bought the 1st season on DVD (OV with English subs) in Germany, for the 2nd I had to ask my Israeli neighbour to bring it for me from Israel (with English subs and the rest in Hebrew)

Last edited:

TanithandBenFan

Author of the Ice and Edge Series
I have struggled to hang onto Homeland the past few seasons, but I will give them props for making the last few episodes very thrilling. They have me paying attention again.

annie720

Midnight Diner on Amazon Prime - a wonderful half-hour show set in Tokyo (two seasons only, sad to say). Food, calm, and community in the big city.
Thank you! We watched the first 3 eps tonight and are loving it! The corn dog scenes! 🤣 There’s a subtle sweetness to it that’s very pleasing.

Aussie Willy

Hates both vegemite and peanut butter
Does that mean Howl's Moving Castle will be in Netflix? Because I love that movie.
Not yet. They seem to be gradually uploading them. Spirited Away got uploaded last week. Started watching Princess Mononoke last night.

Japanfan

I enjoyed it enough to watch all the seasons, and I'm not one with a high tolerance for bad TV. I think Claire Danes carried the show beautifully, along with Mandy Patinkin as Sol. Currently taping the current/last season. I was not anticipating another season and thought the show was over. So, bonus, especially given the epidemic concerns of today.

Last edited:

Aceon6

Wrangling the duvet into the cover
The Dropkick Murphys will live stream a St Patrick’s concert tomorrow at 7 pm Eastern. Free on YouTube, FB, and IG.

LeafOnTheWind

I've been watching The Witcher on Netflix. I like it but the problem I have with it is trying to figure out the timeline. They keep jumping back and forth in time and it's not really clear what is supposed to be the present or the past.

mjb52

I've been watching The Witcher on Netflix. I like it but the problem I have with it is trying to figure out the timeline. They keep jumping back and forth in time and it's not really clear what is supposed to be the present or the past.

It gets a little easier. If it helps there are
three timelines, not just two.

TanithandBenFan

Author of the Ice and Edge Series
I’m looking for Netflix recommendations for my mom. She enjoyed Virgin River and likes shows like Cedar Cove and other family dramas. She’s watched most of Dolly Patton’s Heartstrings series.

viennese

wrecked
For viewers in the USA, these streaming services are offering promotional discounts right now. Shudder is the go-to service for horror fans. AcornTV offers a great selection of British, Australian and international dramas.

https://www.slashfilm.com/streaming-services-discounts-coronavirus-quarantine/

DFJ

3 of my favourites. On Netflix. "Wentworth", "You", "Outlander".

LeafOnTheWind

I found a timeline breakdown of The Witcher for those who are still confused as I am. It also helps explain a little why some of it is so disjointed.

This explains a lot of confusion for me. :)
Geralt’s story spans about 20 years, Yennefer’s story spans about 70 years, and Ciri’s story spans about two weeks

nlloyd

I’m looking for Netflix recommendations for my mom. She enjoyed Virgin River and likes shows like Cedar Cove and other family dramas. She’s watched most of Dolly Patton’s Heartstrings series.

For family dramas/comedies, has she tried Offspring, One Day at a Time, This is Us, Kim's Convenience, Nashville, Grace and Frankie, Kominsky Method, Turn up Charlie and/or Gentefied? Edgier options include Man Like Mobeen, Sisters, and Sex Education.

mjb52

I still can't believe her name is Yennefer.

It's soooo ridiculous that I love it. It's honestly one of my favorite things about the show.

I am trying to watch some Criterion Channel stuff, in large part because I have watched so much fun trashy tv in the past several months that I am just straight up out of options, and I just re-watched one of my favorite movies of all time "And Life Goes On," about a film director (not played by the actual director of the movie but by an actor who appears to be meant to represent him although not literally to be him - if that sounds confusing, don't worry, it's not really that important) who looks for the young boy who starred in one of his films in the aftermath of the 1990 earthquake in Iran to see if he is alright. It is so good and exactly what I needed right now. It was interesting watching it with a lot more familiarity with Kiarostami's work than I had the first time I saw it. It's the second part in a trilogy but you don't really need to have seen the first movie (Where Is The Friend's Home) to watch it, although that's a great movie too.

annie720

I just watched last tango in Halifax, never saw that when it was on PBS. I enjoyed it, sometimes crazy but entertaining.
I'm getting the best ideas from this thread! Had never heard of this show but dh and I watched 2 episodes last night and thoroughly enjoyed it. Looking forward to more. Thanks!

PRlady

Cowardly admin
Staff member
We didn’t even have Netflix or HBO until this week, so basically we could watch TV for weeks catching up on things.

We started Succession last night, DH was meh but I really liked it, it bore out all my guesses about the Murdochs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information