Netflix/Prime/Hulu/BritBox Binge Watching: Coronavirus Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

annie720

We started watching the Russian series Fartsa on Netflix. It's about a group of young friends in the early 1960s who get involved in the black market scene in order to help a friend pay back a debt owed to criminals. It has a very young vibe and lots of period Western music. Three episodes in and we like it it alot.

annie720

Watched the new movie Half Of It on Netflix last night. I wasn't bad, but I kept wanting actress Leah Lewis to speak louder and more clearly. I love it when things are filmed someplace is is obviously not SoCal.

Also started watching another Japanese food show on Netflix, Samurai Gourmet, which is about a newly retired man who starts checking out different restaurants to pass the time, and daydreams about a samurai who helps him feel more bold. Those of you who liked Midnight Diner would probably like this. It has the same feel and the episodes are similarly short. I like it, and there are lots of shots of food. :)

hanca

Values her privacy
I watched Thirteen on the netflix. About a girl who was kindnapped and spent 13 years living with her kidnapper. It starts with her escaping and is mostly about the aftermath, about the impact on her and her family.

Erin

Banned Member
We've been watching World on Fire on PBS and really enjoying it. It's about the impact of World War II on different people in Great Britain, Germany, and Poland.

I watched the first episode and liked it too. But then I got sidetracked watching Schitt's Creek on Netflix, so I'm PVRing it and will go back and watch later. Glad to hear it is good.

acraven

For those with Comcast cable service: A May 11-17 Watchathon has been announced. It's advertised to include free access to HBO (typically means also Cinemax), Showtime, Starz, Hulu and Peacock. It should begin at 12:01 AM Monday. When they do this sort of thing, it sometimes turns out that not all the channels are available for the entire week; Showtime has several times shown up for just the last 3 days. I haven't been able to access the broadcast programs during previous Watchathons, just the on-demand offerings. Ideal for bingeing.

gkelly

Yes.

I was with them through the penultimate episode, as a slightly alternate history relying on just a few brave souls to change what really happened.

But then the last episode just seemed like blatant wish fulfillment that hadn't actually been earned by what we had seen previously, let alone real life.

AJ Skatefan

Yes.

I was with them through the penultimate episode, as a slightly alternate history relying on just a few brave souls to change what really happened.

But then the last episode just seemed like blatant wish fulfillment that hadn't actually been earned by what we had seen previously, let alone real life.

It was a fun fantasy though.

snoopy

I paid $12 to get access to American Gods. We watched Good Omens (both series based on Neil Gaiman books) and it was okay but American Gods is so much better. They’re both dystopian but the characters are so lush. And I love anything with Ian McShane.

TanithandBenFan

Author of the Ice and Edge Series
I’m enjoying Defending Jacob on Apple. I kind of like that they don’t upload all episodes at once so I have something to look forward to every Friday.

MacMadame

Doing all the things
With the news that Dead to Me is going to drop Season 2, I went looking for it. And it turns out that I never finished watching Season 2! (Well I have now. 3 am bedtime for the win!)

Aussie Willy

Hates both vegemite and peanut butter
With the news that Dead to Me is going to drop Season 2, I went looking for it. And it turns out that I never finished watching Season 2! (Well I have now. 3 am bedtime for the win!)
I watched this over the weekend. Really enjoyed it. Like that they are half hour episodes.

I found the first season had more unexpected turns. This time we got to see more of the twists with the main characters but it was more the surprises for the other characters. Loved how the police detective had a larger role.

starrynight

Yes.

I‘ve read reviews of Hollywood that are scathing ... so I wasn’t sure whether to bother watching.

I also started Season 2 of ‘Mars’. Season 1 was incredible and very interesting and informative, but season 2 I think forgot it was actually doing a show about terraforming Mars. Instead it transformed into a documentary about modern day Greenpeace which was off topic. So that was disappointing.

Last edited:

LeafOnTheWind

I'm watching Never Surrender: A Galaxy Quest Documentary on Amazon Prime. Loved that movie and the documentary is just fun.

It talks about how it was ahead of it's time in paying homage to fans. Prior to Galaxy Quest, the Trekkie fans were the butt of the joke. They referenced an early SNL skit with William Shatner where he tells them all it was just a tv show, they are losers and to just go home. Galaxy Quest really gave the fans respect and did it in a fun, silly way. I recommend this if you loved Alan Rickman and Grabthar's Hammer.

allezfred

In A Fake Snowball Fight

I like a bit of escapism as much as the next person, but I was rolling my eyes the entire last episode....

screech

Just watched the choose your own adventure Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt. I was smiling throughout most of it (despite there not being enough Mikey, based on the choices I made). And Daniel Radcliffe has grown into quite a handsome man! And one who should definitely do more comedy.

vgerdes

Just watched the choose your own adventure Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt. I was smiling throughout most of it (despite there not being enough Mikey, based on the choices I made). And Daniel Radcliffe has grown into quite a handsome man! And one who should definitely do more comedy.

Have you tried TBS's "Miracle Workers"? Daniel is the lead in that one, and it's a comedy. I haven't checked it out yet, but it's on my list. Looks funny.

Ka3sha

Hulu is not officially available in Russia, so I can’t check it myself for now, but if any of you watch its “The Great” series (with Elle Fanning and Nicholas Hoult), please share your thoughts :)

As a historian and someone who have read about and seen 1001 options of the books, movies and tv series on Catherine The Great that were supposed to be a documentary ones, I am finally very excited to see a comedian take on it.

misskarne

Handy Emergency Backup Mode
I'm watching Never Surrender: A Galaxy Quest Documentary on Amazon Prime. Loved that movie and the documentary is just fun.

It talks about how it was ahead of it's time in paying homage to fans. Prior to Galaxy Quest, the Trekkie fans were the butt of the joke. They referenced an early SNL skit with William Shatner where he tells them all it was just a tv show, they are losers and to just go home. Galaxy Quest really gave the fans respect and did it in a fun, silly way. I recommend this if you loved Alan Rickman and Grabthar's Hammer.

I've got to check this out. I loved Galaxy Quest and it's one of my family's favourite movies.

The filmed version of Hamilton with the original Broadway cast is coming to Disney+ on July 3!

mjb52

Hulu is not officially available in Russia, so I can’t check it myself for now, but if any of you watch its “The Great” series (with Elle Fanning and Nicholas Hoult), please share your thoughts :)

As a historian and someone who have read about and seen 1001 options of the books, movies and tv series on Catherine The Great that were supposed to be a documentary ones, I am finally very excited to see a comedian take on it.

Did you ever see A Young Doctor's Notebook, with Jon Hamm and Daniel Radcliffe? I really loved it and thought it employed some stereotypical imagery and music in a purposeful way, sort of to comment on what an English-speaking audience's expectations of a show in a Russian setting would be like, but I wonder what it would look like from the perspective of someone who actually is Russian.

VALuvsMKwan

Codger level achieved
I've got to check this out. I loved Galaxy Quest and it's one of my family's favourite movies.

The filmed version of Hamilton with the original Broadway cast is coming to Disney+ on July 3!

Not quite - see my post in this thread at the link (ignore the text displayed):

MacMadame

Doing all the things
Honestly? When I read that, I rolled my eyes. Absolutely no one is going to be disappointed that one member of the ensemble isn't one of the very, very most original cast members.
Not quite - see my post in this thread at the link (ignore the text displayed):

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information