NBC Sports Gold figure skating pass - feedback, troubleshooting, pros/cons, etc.

aftershocks

Banned Member
Why are they hiding what the membership levels are? I don't see it spelled out re the fee levels anywhere.

aftershocks

Banned Member
The levels are all detailed in a chart linked on the page that Sylvia posted

Thanks, that's the link I was looking for and I didn't see. Boy, how it's all changed from the old days. At the beginning price level, fans don't even get the calendar anymore. BTW, what have the recent calendars been like for those who may have been receiving them annually?

There’s only one level, one price. All or nothing.

I was referencing USFS membership levels, not NBCGold subscription.

Simone411

To Boldly Explore Figure Skating Around The World
Thanks, that's the link I was looking for and I didn't see. Boy, how it's all changed from the old days. At the beginning price level, fans don't even get the calendar anymore. BTW, what have the recent calendars been like for those who may have been receiving them annually?

I was a member of Friends of Figure Skating for several years until 2011. At the Friend level, I used to pay 50 dollars, and during that time it did include the Calendar. I don't know if the Friend level is still 50 dollars. One of the reasons I didn't continue the membership is because USFSA started using VISA. At least they did when I was going to purchase a membership then. I don't have VISA, and they wouldn't accept other cards like Mastercard, BOA or American Express.

It's also happened with Team USA. I wanted to purchase a few items, and they only take VISA. It used to didn't be that way and I was able to donate to Team USA, and would receive an Olympic Fleece jacket.

I didn't see the membership fee at USFSA. So I don't know if Friends of Figure Skating is still 50 dollars, but I did see the membership form to fill out.

aftershocks

Banned Member

I was a member of Friends of Figure Skating for several years until 2011. At the Friend level, I used to pay 50 dollars, and during that time it did include the Calendar. I don't know if the Friend level is still 50 dollars. One of the reasons I didn't continue the membership is because USFSA started using VISA. At least they did when I was going to purchase a membership then. I don't have VISA, and they wouldn't accept other cards like Mastercard, BOA or American Express.

It's also happened with Team USA. I wanted to purchase a few items, and they only take VISA. It used to didn't be that way and I was able to donate to Team USA, and would receive an Olympic Fleece jacket.

I didn't see the membership fee at USFSA. So I don't know if Friends of Figure Skating is still 50 dollars, but I did see the membership form to fill out.

Whoa, they only accept VISA, eh? No money order either if your card isn't VISA???

I think the beginning level is now starting at $60 or $65, if I'm not mistaken. They listed a range of between $65 - $125 for basic membership with few perks. :lol: Unbelievable. For that much, and higher, Friends of USFS should be getting at least $15 or $20 off NBC Gold subscription! :drama:

Were the calendars ever better designed and professionally executed? An independent Canadian entity used to publish a gorgeous figure skating calendar. Absolutely gorgeous compared to the subpar efforts I saw in the distant past from US figure skating.

Simone411

Whoa, they only accept VISA, eh? No money order either if your card isn't VISA???

I think the beginning level is now starting at $60 or $65, if I'm not mistaken. They listed a range of between $65 - $125 for basic membership with few perks. :lol: Unbelievable. For that much, and higher, Friends of USFS should be getting at least $15 or $20 off NBC Gold subscription! :drama:

Were the calendars ever better designed and professionally executed? An independent Canadian entity used to publish a gorgeous figure skating calendar. Absolutely gorgeous compared to the subpar efforts I saw in the distant past from US figure skating.

aftershocks, I even called USFSA and asked them what happened. I even asked them could I write a check since they only used VISA. They couldn't even accept my check. Hopefully, they've changed that by now, and if the price starts at $65 dollars, then that definitely means it went up.

I do know that donations made to Team USA with Olympic.org are strictly VISA, and I've been very disappointed with that.

aftershocks

Banned Member
Thanks for the info @Simone411. That's pretty sad they won't accept checks. Maybe they would accept postal money orders? If they only accept VISA, then it must be due to some type of sponsorship deal. Boy do figure skating fans have a hard row to hoe. This sport is completely frustrating, and then some.

TanithandBenFan

Author of the Ice and Edge Series
Thanks for the info @Simone411. That's pretty sad they won't accept checks. Maybe they would accept postal money orders? If they only accept VISA, then it must be due to some type of sponsorship deal. Boy do figure skating fans have a hard row to hoe. This sport is completely frustrating, and then some.

I used my American Express to pay for my FOFS membership online last month. Pretty sure the form accepted Visa, MC and AE.

Simone411

I used my American Express to pay for my FOFS membership online last month. Pretty sure the form accepted Visa, MC and AE.

Thank you for the info. I was wondering if they had changed back to accepting other cards. I always liked Skating Magazine.

It would be awesome if Team USA would start accepting other cards besides VISA. Maybe they'll change that someday.

Just adding this article I found regarding The 2020 Olympics. Apparently, people will only be able to use VISA there, too.

Olympics Attendee is really annoyed that VISA is the only card accepted at the Olympics

Last edited:

DreamSkates

I joined as a "friend" and there are levels - you can pay $65/year or more if you want to donate more. I used the links on the left of the page. The links with the tabs at the top of the page didn't work.

sk9tingfan

Went out to Comcast's Apps section using my remote to bring up a Netflix series and lo and behold, what popped up? Now anyone with Comcast as their cable service subscribing to NBC Sports Gold will be able to watch all coverage via their standard TV sets! So happy; no more computer watching!

sk9tingfan

Went out to Comcast's Apps section using my remote to bring up a Netflix series and lo and behold, what popped up? Now anyone with Comcast as their cable service subscribing to NBC Sports Gold will be able to watch all coverage via their standard TV sets! So happy; no more computer watching!

Thr listings/icons for the US Classic are already up. :)

Here is the listing of available events:
EventDateAvailabilityFigure Skating Pass
U.S. International ClassicSeptember 19-21, 2019Live & On-Demand
Grand Prix Series: Skate AmericaOctober 18-20, 2019Live & On-Demand
Grand Prix Series: Skate CanadaOctober 25-27, 2019Live & On-Demand
Grand Prix Series: Internationaux de FranceNovember 1-3, 2019Live & On-Demand
Grand Prix Series: Cup of ChinaNovember 8-10, 2019Live & On-Demand
Eastern Sectional Singles FinalNovember 12-16, 2019Live & On-Demand
Midwestern Sectional Singles FinalNovember 12-16, 2019Live & On-Demand
Pacific Coast Sectional Singles FinalNovember 12-16, 2019Live & On-Demand
U.S. Ice Dance FinalNovember 12-16, 2019Live & On-Demand
U.S. Pairs FinalNovember 12-16, 2019Live & On-Demand
Grand Prix Series: Rostelecome CupNovember 15-17, 2019Live & On-Demand
Grand Prix Series: NHK TrophyNovember 22-24, 2019Live & On-Demand
Grand Prix FinalDecember 5-8, 2019Live & On-Demand
2020 U.S. Figure Skating ChampionshipsJanuary 20-26, 2020Live & On-Demand
ISU European Figure Skating Championships 2020*January 20-26, 2020Live & On-Demand
ISU Four Continents Championships 2020February 3-9, 2020Live & On-Demand
U.S. Synchronized Skating ChampionshipsFebruary 26-29, 2020Live & On-Demand
ISU World Figure Skating Championships 2020March 16-24, 2020Live & On-Demand
ISU World Synchronized Skating Championships 2020April 3-4, 2020Live & On-Demand
REPLAY WILL BE AVAILABLE ON-DEMAND
Eastern Great Lakes Regional Singles ChallengeOctoberOn-Demand
Eastern Sectional Ice Dance & Pairs ChallengeOctoberOn-Demand
Midwestern Sectional Ice Dance ChallengeOctoberOn-Demand
Northwest Pacific Regional Singles ChallengeOctoberOn-Demand
South Atlantic Regional Singles ChallengeOctoberOn-Demand
Midwestern Sectional Pairs ChallengeOctoberOn-Demand
Pacific Coast Pairs ChallengeOctoberOn-Demand
Southwest Pacific Regional ChallengeOctoberOn-Demand
Southwestern Regional Singles ChallengeOctoberOn-Demand
Central Pacific Regional Singles ChallengeOctoberOn-Demand
New England Regional Singles ChallengeOctoberOn-Demand
North Atlantic Regional Singles ChallengeOctoberOn-Demand
Pacific Coast Ice Dance ChallengeOctoberOn-Demand
Upper Great Lakes Regional Singles ChallengeOctoberOn-Demand
Eastern Synchronized SectionalsJanuaryOn-Demand
Midwestern Synchronized SectionalsJanuaryOn-Demand
Pacific Coast Synchronized SectionalsJanuaryOn-Demand

rfisher

Let the skating begin
Thank you for posting this! I just got there with my voice remote. Woo hoo!

Karen-W

Checking Senior Bs for TES mins...
Thank you for posting this! I just got there with my voice remote. Woo hoo!
It was so easy to do!
Argh! My box isn't finding the NBC Sports Gold app, and I do have a voice remote. :(

Amy L

I have Xfinity and just checked the apps. Looks like Xfinity just added NBC Sports Gold as well. :cheer2:

Amy L

I have Xfinity also but the app isn't there for me. Says my X1 box doesn't support that app. Oh well, I have my Chromecast so I can stream it still, no biggie.

I wonder if it's being introduced region by region, or something like that? It's definitely new for me. My laptop stopped playing NBC Sports Gold last spring so I looked it up on Xfinity and it wasn't there - - I was stuck watching Worlds on my phone. :shuffle: I just checked today, and it was the first option when I went to the app section. I have the "extreme" Internet tier because my husband is a gamer and just sort of ridiculous in general :lol:, but we don't have super fancy cable.

clairecloutier

Not sure where to put this ... Someone on Facebook posted that EuroSport probably will NOT be broadcasting the Grand Prix series this year, as the rights now belong to InFront. Is InFront a rival TV network to Eurosport?

Debbie S

I can get NBC Sports Gold app on my living room TV but not my bedroom TV. Perhaps b/c my bedroom TV is my "additional outlet", and it also doesn't have a DVR box, just a regular box (although I can watch DVR recordings on it)? Oh well, happy to watch on TV vs my laptop. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information