NBC Sports Gold figure skating pass - feedback, troubleshooting, pros/cons, etc.

valdora

The live stream of the FD started late... maybe NBC is trying to fix that before uploading? Usually the replays are up almost immediately so this is an anomaly today.

Yeah, I caught Dance live but missed Pairs. Ladies isn't up yet either.

Doggygirl

Banned Member
My overall experience has been very positive accessing NBC Sports Gold on my desktop and on my laptop. One of these days I want to try phone and iPad, but I haven't gotten that far yet.

Stream quality has been awesome - virtually no problems with buffering and choppiness which used to be the norm with IN. (even on a high speed Comcast connection) I had the same problem as everyone else today with the FD starting late, but that has been the only problem of note.

I too wish the gala's were being included. Maybe we will be able to give feedback at some point? Or maybe with good quality streaming like this, more people will subscribe and it might make financial sense to include more?

Anyway, I'm happy to be getting reliable coverage!

maatTheViking

Roxaaannnneeee!!!
I noticed that the medal ceremony was part of the ladies free for SC - the feed continued after the end of the competition and the ladies ceremony and the dance ceremony was there.

aftershocks

Banned Member
Why aren't all of the livestream events held today at GP Helsinki available on NBC Gold under full event replays? Don't tell me it's because of the weekend? :rolleyes:

aftershocks

Banned Member
Anyone know what the story is with Pairs and Dance Free from Helsinki? The replays aren't up on NBC Gold.

Ok yep. I see someone else has also asked the same question. We just probably won't be getting an answer anytime soon. The replays still aren't up yet. I want to see the medal ceremonies and the press conferences too. Why should we have to pay more for less content!? :wuzrobbed

valdora

Ok yep. I see someone else has also asked the same question. We just probably won't be getting an answer anytime soon. The replays still aren't up yet. I want to see the medal ceremonies and the press conferences. Why should we have to pay more for less content!? :wuzrobbed

They were good with getting stuff up asap the last two weekends.

Very disappointed to hear the Galas won't be included. It's really such a waste not to have them.

Sylvia

TBD
Skating Finland is live streaming/uploading all the post-event press conferences on their YT channel. I believe they are the only Grand Prix federation host to do this?

I'm okay with the Galas after Skate America not being included -- videos can be found on YT easily enough.

However I plan to write to ask that 2019 Junior Worlds be included -- that's a competition that deserves to be live streamed by NBC Sports and replay videos archived.

TanithandBenFan

Author of the Ice and Edge Series
All the events from today are available now, but the FD starts in the middle of the first couple (where the livestream started).

Sylvia

TBD
Last edited:

oleada

I have to say I really love having the NBC Sports Gold app on the Roku. I haven't had any issues with lagging or skipping or waiting and the picture is so much clearer than on my computer.

mysticchic

I get gold fine on my laptop but streaming on my tv is horrible. Buffers like crazy, I have a fire stick.

maureenfarone

I watch NBC Gold on my Roku on my tv. The picture is generally good although I've had a few instances of it breaking up a little. The worst experience was Saturday when I could not get on before the Free Dance. Several people on FSU reported having service 5 or more minutes before me. When I refreshed I had to log into NBC gold on my computer and reactivate my Roku. I missed the first 2 FDs. The picture is much better on my TV than on my laptop.

Aceon6

Wrangling the duvet into the cover
I get gold fine on my laptop but streaming on my tv is horrible. Buffers like crazy, I have a fire stick.
I am getting better results with our Fire Stick equipped tv than with the Roku equipped one. Methinks the Gold app on the Roku needs an update, but I can’t figure out how.

annie720

I prefer to watch on my laptop because it's so much clearer, but I'm assuming that's due to the screen itself. I've had a few issues with it buffering when using Roku, but not on the laptop.

It was weird that I couldn't access yesterday's replays until this morning, but this morning's Men's FS replay seemed to be available almost immediately.

Aceon6

I was just checking Gold. In addition to the GP events, all of the US Sectionals, junior and senior, are showing in the list. Skating overload!

TanithandBenFan

Author of the Ice and Edge Series
I was just checking Gold. In addition to the GP events, all of the US Sectionals, junior and senior, are showing in the list. Skating overload!

I'm getting all my errands done before next weekend, including advance grocery shopping, so I don't have to leave my house at all LOL.

Doggygirl

Banned Member
What is the best way to provide feedback to NBC? I love the reliable streaming compared to the old days of IN - no comparison there, and no complaints for me. I do NOT understand why the medal ceremonies are not covered when they directly follow the events! I also plan to add the galas to my wish list.

Aceon6

What is the best way to provide feedback to NBC? I love the reliable streaming compared to the old days of IN - no comparison there, and no complaints for me. I do NOT understand why the medal ceremonies are not covered when they directly follow the events! I also plan to add the galas to my wish list.
You can tweet @NBCSportsGold.

annie720

I know! I was just on the site to see what time the NHK FD comes on tonight and was so surprised to see that U.S. Eastern Sectionals will be streamed live beginning on the 14th!

Aceon6

Is anyone else experiencing blurry streaming from Rostelecom Cup and TDF. Very annoying!
What are you using? Browser or streaming device?

On my Roku, I noticed that the stream would downshift from HD to SD when there was a lot going on on our network. I’m so used to HD that SD looks blurry. Sometimes, I could fix it by turning off other devices, but that didn’t always work. I’m on FIOS, so my network speed can be degraded if everyone on my street is streaming/gaming.

aftershocks

Banned Member
What are you using? Browser or streaming device?

On my Roku, I noticed that the stream would downshift from HD to SD when there was a lot going on on our network. I’m so used to HD that SD looks blurry. Sometimes, I could fix it by turning off other devices, but that didn’t always work. I’m on FIOS, so my network speed can be degraded if everyone on my street is streaming/gaming.

Thanks for asking. I'm using Google Chrome and I haven't had issues with the first four GPs.

Browser issues used to be IN's #1 go-to excuse. I haven't had this problem with the other GPs, only RC and TDF.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information