Nathan Chen Fan Thread #2

Sylvia

TBD
This video popped up on my Twitter timeline last night (ABC World News' David Muir closed his 2/10/22 broadcast with this segment): https://twitter.com/ABCWorldNews/status/1491947594817363979

"Person of the Week" original video - Feb. 19, 2010: Nathan Chen, 10, is a prodigy on the ice
The fifth-grader, who was inspired to take up the sport after watching the Olympics, is a star on skates

And the accompanying article:

Last edited:

Allskate

I hope we get a Nathan cam when Mariah skates. :D

This video popped up on my Twitter timeline last night (ABC World News' David Muir closed his 2/10/22 broadcast with this segment): https://twitter.com/ABCWorldNews/status/1491947594817363979

"Person of the Week" original video - Feb. 19, 2010: Nathan Chen, 10, is a prodigy on the ice
The fifth-grader, who was inspired to take up the sport after watching the Olympics, is a star on skates
I love that he repeated his program in the exhibition, skating a clean program, after making mistakes in the short.

I doubt we will see Rocket Man in the exhibition, but I certainly wouldn't mind if he did do that.

Sylvia

TBD
Nathan's dad has been quite involved with the Salt Lake Club over the years. Usually he is volunteering. He just doesn't want to be part of the spotlight.
Nathan's father was one of the volunteers at the 2017 U.S. International Classic in SLC that I was fortunate to attend :) ... don't recall how I found out who he was, but he definitely had a very unassuming presence.

sheetz

Nathan talks about pigging out on KFC and Pizza Hut after his win.

Showing off his new bling

Nathan visiting the short track competition

Shoma and Yuma fanboying

Catching the hockey with Shaun White

cheremary

Nathan talks about pigging out on KFC and Pizza Hut after his win.
Thanks for posting this! Some fun details from just before and after the free skate.

Among the very important tidbits I learned, he slept 10 hours prior to competition (super jealous!) and got up at 5:15am for the 6:15 shuttle (not so jealous anymore), ate camping food and napped on short track foam pads at the rink, and ”pigged out” on chicken sandwiches and ice cream after.

I’m going to guess Jean-Luc is the one obsessively buying Coke bottles to collect pins? 😅 (Or Brandon? Somehow I can’t see Evan Bates doing this.) Whoever it is better watch out, ‘cause Nathan’s coming for them!

Last edited:

sheetz

Interview with Nathan's third grade teacher.
OMG, check this out:
When Nathan Chen was in third grade at Hawthorne Elementary, he filled out questions in his class’s yearbook. When answering the prompt where he sees himself at 60 years old he wrote, "If I were 60 I would land my quad axle. P.s. Thank you for all the support. -Nathan 2008."

Nathan has spent lots of time as a spectator over the last few days:
Watching short track
Watching ID
Watching hockey
Watching the Super Bowl

sheetz

Nathan was a spectator at Big Air w/ other Team USA members (from Jason's IG)

Interview with SLC TV

Congratulations from Omega on his victory. Nathan is shown modeling their Speedmaster Moonwatch.

Interesting NYT article about nicknames given to athletes by Chinese fans

Shoutout from Team Bridgestone

Flashback to 2016 performance of Stole the Show at Harvard's Evening with Champions

Karen-W

How long do we have to wait for GP assignments?
Nathan talking about future games in Salt Lake City - https://t.co/IbXE87pMu7
I have to say, whether SLC hosts in 2030 or 2034, I am going to be shocked if he isn't under serious consideration as the final torchbearer. He is such a perfect example of the legacy of their 2002 Olympics, a native son and Olympic champion.

sheetz

Nathan is still attending practice sessions
SBS 4T with Litvinsev
Photos
With Jason and Vincent

Trying to figure out his Lumix camera

This writer can't stop watching Rocketman

Nathan illlustrated
In a politcal cartoon: https://theweek.com/political-satire/1010189/gold-for-nathan-chen
In a flip book: https://youtu.be/OzDsibWBEWo

Wyliefan

Ubering juniors against my will

sheetz

Video Profile from Omega

New Panasonic commercial

Nathan mentioned in interview with Sam Chouinard in Dance Magazine

What was it like helping Nathan Chen move from a more balletic style to hip hop on ice?

This guy is a genius, he’s just so brilliant. For sure, we wanted to bring the party vibe out of this program. It’s the Olympics—you want to make people feel something. When you know your competitors, if you want to stand out, you need to think differently.

Nathan spectating

Chris Phillips, the trainer for most of Team Raf was in attendance as the trainer for the Czech Team. He took this video of the audience reaction of Nathan's FS score. You can hear someone exclaiming, "Holy ****" halfway thru. LOL

sheetz

Interview in Vogue Japan. Use Google translate.

Interview with Hetty. Sounds like they are planning a family trip to Disneyland!

TV feature on Nathan with his elementary school teacher. (They have no idea what a quad axel is! LOL)

Nathan for Omega
More photos from Yuki

Nathan and other skaters cheering on the pairs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information