Nathan Chen Fan Thread #2

VGThuy

His Long to Philip Glass is a masterpiece. My favorite of his long programs. Rocketman appealed to the masses, but also seems to be truer to the fun side of his personality.
I totally agree with you. I know most of us skating fans prefer his Phillip Glass long for skating-related reasons and I love it too. But for the Olympics, I do think Rocketman was the perfect vehicle not just because the music is like pop music legendary and the remixes fun but it shows off Nathan’s more natural personality better and let’s the casual audience know the cool, hip and chill Nathan we all grew to love over the years in just four minutes. From his curly hair, to his much derided shirt, to the music and choreo and how the music allowed him to relax and smile, the program has already done a lot to tell the public who Nathan is and it’s someone they want to see more of.

olympic

I totally agree with you. I know most of us skating fans prefer his Phillip Glass long for skating-related reasons and I love it too. But for the Olympics, I do think Rocketman was the perfect vehicle not just because the music is like pop music legendary and the remixes fun but it shows off Nathan’s more natural personality better and let’s the casual audience know the cool, hip and chill Nathan we all grew to love over the years in just four minutes. From his curly hair, to his much derided shirt, to the music and choreo and how the music allowed him to relax and smile, the program has already done a lot to tell the public who Nathan is and it’s someone they want to see more of.
I am glad that others really appreciate the Phillip Glass program.

I like all of Nathan’s programs but if I had to rank them, my favorites would be

1. Phillip Glass
2. Woodkid (sp?)
3. Elton John

I would like to see Nathan perform Mao’s Last Dancer and Polovetsian Dances in his current shape

livetoskate

Hurd Video has provided video of Nathan competing in Juveniles at 2008 Junior Nationals!
That was so cute & impressive! He was only 8 and doing flying spins & double-double combinations. Such talent!

A.H.Black

Hurd Video has provided video of Nathan competing in Juveniles at 2008 Junior Nationals!
Good Heavens! I think I saw this program at that competition - during the practice but not the competition. That was the same Junior National Championships where I first noticed Jean Luc Baker when he won with Joylyn Yang.

sheetz

Nathan's press conference from yesterday. They got it wrong that he set a WR score.

His first coach Stephanee Grosscup uploaded Nathan's full snowplow sam program.

Interview on NBC Sports

Appearance on Today show thanking his Mom

Speaking with SLC TV reporter after the FS

Congrats from Hayley
Video from Stand Up for Kids event

BTS photo of backflip from film shoot

sk9tingfan

I am glad that others really appreciate the Phillip Glass program.

I like all of Nathan’s programs but if I had to rank them, my favorites would be

1. Phillip Glass
2. Woodkid (sp?)
3. Elton John

I would like to see Nathan perform Mao’s Last Dancer and Polovetsian Dances in his current shape
ITA!!

vgerdes

I agree. And Nathan also got personal congrats from Sir Elton himself on Twitter, which has to be something to put in his scrapbook. ;)

Allskate

God bless Jackie for reporting faithfully on this even while the Internet is blowing up over the doping scandal. He knows what we need!
Jackie was simultaneously tweeting about the doping situation and the skaters' press conference. It seems like he's getting very little sleep and even less food.

Good for Nathan for not taking the bait when asked about the doping scandal.

I thought it was rude - but not surprising - that on the night that Nathan skated with such joy and won his coveted Olympic gold medal, Christine Brennan chose that time to ask Nathan about the doping instead of that night's skate and victory. So obnoxious. Nathan didn't take the bait then, either.

I am very glad that Nathan skated to Rocket Man. He skated it with such joy, and his energy suited that program at that moment. I think most people didn't even realize that his footwork was not his best, though certainly better than Nationals. :D

Rukia

A Southern, hot-blooded temperamental individual
Good for Nathan for not taking the bait when asked about the doping scandal.

I thought it was rude - but not surprising - that on the night that Nathan skated with such joy and won his coveted Olympic gold medal, Christine Brennan chose that time to ask Nathan about the doping instead of that night's skate and victory. So obnoxious. Nathan didn't take the bait then, either.
I don't want to stand up for Brennan in any way because I legit don't care about her, but I can see how asking Nathan about it might make sense given he's missing a medal he should have already. But Nathan was smart about it and really just focused on his team which is awesome.

Allskate

I don't want to stand up for Brennan in any way because I legit don't care about her, but I can see how asking Nathan about it might make sense given he's missing a medal he should have already. But Nathan was smart about it and really just focused on his team which is awesome.
She had one question. When she asked that question the night of the long program, it wasn't even official why the medal ceremony was delayed, much less clear which skater was at the center of it. IMO, the question should not have been directed at him, especially at that time. She asked the question because she loves sensational stories. She had an opportunity to ask one question and asking a question related to that night's performance and winning an Olympic gold medal wasn't good enough for her. I'm pretty darn sure that the delay in receiving his team medal was not even on his mind at that time.

BTW, Nathan has said that he hopes they have the medal ceremony after Vincent is out of isolation.

skatfan

Article and interview about Scali’s work with Nathan. No wonder I liked Rocketman more here in Beijing:

TheresMaude

Article and interview about Scali’s work with Nathan. No wonder I liked Rocketman more here in Beijing:

Who was the original choreographer of Rocketman? SLB?

livetoskate

Does anyone know where I can get an exact or near exact copy of Nathan’s Rocketman shirt? Money is no object.
This style reminds me of Nathan's Vera shirts, although it's not identical to his Rocketman shirt. Get it with the pants for $31.46!

sheetz

Profile on Great Park Ice, the rink Nathan trains at. (paywall)

King Nathan tries to name other kings.

Sarah Hughes recalls when she, Brian Boitano, and Tara Lipinski first met Nathan at 2010 Nationals

Planafilms spliced together a tribute to Nathan from video they took several years ago.

Nathan has updated the photo on his home age.

sheetz

New Raf interview. Sounds like we might see Mozart in the gala?

Nathan was interviewed about his costumes from Vera.

Congratulations from sister Janice

Nathan watching ID and playing Jenga with other members of Team USA

Nathan and Mariah with member of Short Track team

Nathan promoting the Olympics app

Congratulations from Yale

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information