Nathan Chen Fan Thread #2

Sylvia

TBD
NBC Sports (Gannon, Weir, Lipinski) video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8zVL9WY3dUw
Nathan Chen put the ghost of PyeongChang emphatically behind him, delivering a whopping 218.63-point free skate to become just the second American man to win men's singles in 30 years -- and cement his status as the best men's figure skater in the world.
ETA that the original placement of his 3A at the music's crescendo during the transition to "Rocketman" used to be one of my fave moments in the program but now I think Nathan landing the 4Lz at that point works well too! ;)

Tim Layden: Nathan Chen following long line of Olympic champions (aired on NBC before his FS): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nBcjFuye29Y
First it was Scott Hamilton. Then Brian Boitano. Then Evan Lysacek. Now, it's Nathan Chen's turn to ascend the men's figure skating throne.

Last edited:

NinjaTurtles

No lamb chop, so don’t you fork my peas
Choose your fighter:
e5dg59ek1yg81.jpg

Mayra

Wasn't Nathan's perfect skate, but it was his most joyous - and honestly, I'll take that over a perfect skate anybody. I never thought I could prouder of him than I already was, but I was proven wrong tonight. Congrats Nathan, it's been a joy and a pleasure to be your fan for all these years!
I thought the same thing. You could see him smile throughout the performance and once the last jump combo was done, he fully let loose. It was a great performance made more enjoyable because he was having a blast.

A.H.Black

20 years ago, just after the Salt Lake Games were over, I went to a club show at Steiner arena in Salt Lake City. It was a typical club show and the only thing that stood out to me was a very little boy. I even wrote about it on the old version of "Unseen Skaters". I sort kept track of that little boy and had great hopes for him - maybe he would be an Olympic Gold Medalist.

It happened! With a big smile on his face - it happened.

Congratulations Nathan.

Thank you for all the joy of watching you skate.

sheetz

Nathan spoke to Andrea Joyce afterwards.

Some congratulations from the skating world:
Sasha Trusova
Charlie White
Maxim Kovtun
Sergey Voronov
Jean Luc Baker
Karen Chen

And from the family

Xela M

No words!! My heart was in my throat, but sooo glad I stayed up all night to watch him (despite having to get up early for work 🤪). Once in a while all the stars align and the most deserving skater actually wins the Olympics!

Absolutely amazing 🤩 so so thrilled for him and Rafa!!!!

Best mens skater of all time?

olympic

I am feeling all sorts of things right now - elated, tired, a little depressed that it's over; please explain to me why I couldn't wait for it to be over, but am bluesy that it is.

I hope we see him at 2022 Worlds. I think that will be it for his competitive career, no?

Sylvia

TBD
The Elton John official account's 2nd tweet mentioned he executive-produced ‘From The Top': https://twitter.com/eltonofficial/status/1491766401748639747
Nathan's Rockstar is Hayley Kiyoko - never heard of her but I listen to country. Not sure if it was widely known before this series but she is the daughter of well-known skating choreographer Sarah Kawahara. And apparently her siblings gave her a bit of a hard time when they heard about this show because she's "the worst skater" of the siblings, lol.

It was really cute and nice to see Nathan so relaxed and comfortable. And he looks so much better with the curly, longer hair than he did in 2018, lol.

Sylvia

TBD
Stephanee Grosscup congratulates Nathan and his mom (includes 8 photos through the years) with a lovely message :): https://www.instagram.com/p/CZzd41JJibi/
Video of baby Nathan's Snowplow Sam freeskate taken by his first coach, Stephanee Grosscup.
Wellwishes from Grosscup
ETA:

Nathan's first IG post & photo after winning is not surprising at all ("Thanks mom ❤️ couldn’t have done this without my family"): https://www.instagram.com/p/CZzYCkPrghy/

Last edited:

sheetz

Probably the fastest Nathan has ever updated his IG page after a victory!

Jackie Wong has a nice write up on Nathan's Olympic journey.

I agree with Jackie about the 4Lz. I don't think anyone else in the World has such mastery of it that they can tap in to the beat of the music the way he did.

Fadeevfanboy

I am feeling all sorts of things right now - elated, tired, a little depressed that it's over; please explain to me why I couldn't wait for it to be over, but am bluesy that it is.

I hope we see him at 2022 Worlds. I think that will be it for his competitive career, no?

I think he would take a break for sure, and then see if he has the motivation to return at some point for a shot at 2026. So I would say it would be an undecided sort of thing similar to both Davis & White and Virtue & Moir. I would say 40/60 to him returning or not, with the 60 being the not, but I wouldn't rule it out completely either.

Fadeevfanboy

The best part was the relief and outpouring of emotion. You could tell how badly he wanted and the immense pressure that was on him. I resent people like NBC who really overload the pressure to ridiculous excess on the dominant athletes like Biles and Chen with their OTT overworship (yes you can overworship even the GOATs and best athletes), and we saw what their ridiculousness contributed to doing to queen Simone. I am so glad he was able to overcome it and excel over it in flying colors and accomplish his ultimate goal.

suki

Thrilled beyond words for the great Nathan Chen. I am still catching up with the articles. Are there any videos of Rafe Artunian watching Nathan from the boards while he was skating? I love watching him watching his skaters knock it out of the park.

Sylvia

TBD
Jackie Wong has a nice write up on Nathan's Olympic journey.
https://www.rockerskating.com/news/...mpics-mens-event-part-2-a-rush-of-raw-emotion

I agree with Jackie about the 4Lz. I don't think anyone else in the World has such mastery of it that they can tap in to the beat of the music the way he did.
"Restricted Video This [Instagram] video is not available in your country."
:(

For those in the USA, I've cued up NBC Sports' FS video to the point right before his 4Lz (some might see a commercial first): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8zVL9WY3dUw&t=110s
ETA that the original placement of his 3A at the music's crescendo during the transition to "Rocketman" used to be one of my fave moments in the program but now I think Nathan landing the 4Lz at that point works well too! ;)

Wyliefan

Ubering juniors against my will
A Deadspin writer appreciates the way that Nathan "brings figure skating to us dorks." :lol:

Still, I know a cultural phenomenon when I see one, so I had to tune in for Nathan Chen’s long program, because the buzz had been building to a point where it was hard to miss it. I usually anticipate tuning in and seeing an outfit that costs more than my car on someone skating to a piece of classical music that Frasier and Niles would arrogantly and triumphantly identify while simultaneously making me feel like a barnyard animal for not being able to.

What I found was a dude in a Star Trek outfit skating around to Elton John. Now this is my language!

I found this Washington Post piece oddly somber -- the author didn't capture the joy of Nathan's skate -- but there's some great descriptive writing and some nice stuff about Nathan and Mariah's friendship.

As the day wore on, building up to his performance, which was scheduled last, Chen stood with Bell beneath the stands. Often, in such instances, they talk about skating. This time, Chen said almost nothing about the sport. Bell didn’t try to change the topic, letting the conversations go wherever Chen wanted — which, it turned out, involved how to throw a football.

He pulled out a youth-sized football, one of the many things he had brought on this trip to burn any nervous energy. He showed Bell how to throw it, telling her where to put her hands on the laces. For a long time, they tossed it around, in a room filled with costumed skaters.

Bell tried to measure Chen’s emotions, but he showed little.

“He’ll be fine,” she said she later decided. “His energy was good.”

Sylvia

TBD
Cuteness overload: Mariah hugs the stuffing out of Nathan ...
AWWW. :)

Jo Ling Kent did this friendship fluff piece on Nathan & Mariah for NBC (both were interviewed before his FS):

Also on her IG: https://www.instagram.com/tv/CZx4TzaDp76/
💛🥇besties on and off the ice: the sweet story of nathan chen and Mariah bell's blossoming friendship, ft. adam rippon. mariah tells me with a big ol smile: “i know he's going to be amazing. i'm going to feel like it's happening to me.”
ETA link to Adam's TikTok to IG reel video ("Cheering on King Nathan Chen here in Beijing and yeah maybe I cried it’s okay"): https://www.instagram.com/reel/CZzCkyulSQG/
:lol:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information