Nathan Chen Fan Thread #2

sk9tingfan

I think he would take a break for sure, and then see if he has the motivation to return at some point for a shot at 2026. So I would say it would be an undecided sort of thing similar to both Davis & White and Virtue & Moir. I would say 40/60 to him returning or not, with the 60 being the not, but I wouldn't rule it out completely either.
Good assessment of odds, especially for our statistically significant gold medalist! :p

I understood why Nathan chose to go back to the more commercially recognizable and marketable Rocketman for the Olympics so as to have more universal appeal to both educated as well as uneducated skating fans. It also was the program that is tied to a World record. While I liked Rocketman because of its modern and fun-loving vibe, my favorite will always be his Philip Glass program. It is an ice poem that provides a very intimate view into a previously unseen facet of his personality. IMO. you really need to fully understand and appreciate figure skating to get that program. Casual, every four-year fans might dismiss it immediately.

sk9tingfan

20 years ago, just after the Salt Lake Games were over, I went to a club show at Steiner arena in Salt Lake City. It was a typical club show and the only thing that stood out to me was a very little boy. I even wrote about it on the old version of "Unseen Skaters". I sort kept track of that little boy and had great hopes for him - maybe he would be an Olympic Gold Medalist.

It happened! With a big smile on his face - it happened.

Congratulations Nathan.

Thank you for all the joy of watching you skate.
In 2014, I was right behind him at Nationals at the TD garden. I told him, "It is a privilege to see you skate". And that has never changed.

Fadeevfanboy

Good assessment of odds, especially for our statistically significant gold medalist! :p

I understood why Nathan chose to go back to the more commercially recognizable and marketable Rocketman for the Olympics so as to have more universal appeal to both educated as well as uneducated skating fans. It also was the program that is tied to a World record. While I liked Rocketman because of its modern and fun-loving vibe, my favorite will always be his Philip Glass program. It is an ice poem that provides a very intimate view into a previously unseen facet of his personality. IMO. you really need to fully understand and appreciate figure skating to get that program. Casual, every four-year fans might dismiss it immediately.
Philip Glass is my absolute favorite too!

watchthis!!

I am glad that I (alone with the rest of the world) can breathe a sigh of relief now that Nathan has his Olympic gold medal. And apparently he has an opportunity to go "double or nothing" or something or other. ;)

sheetz

The all important Raf interview has dropped.

Translation: https://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/threads/vaytsekhovskayas-interview-with-arutyunian.109412/

Last edited:

LeafOnTheWind

The all important Raf interview has dropped.

Love this part
There were moments when Nathan began to feel that he was not very well prepared to fight for gold. Every time I started laughing at him: “Are you kidding? I'll be the first to tell you if I see anything going wrong. So don't make me laugh with your stupid statements and go to rest."

On Mariah and the team event:
- Why didn't another of your athletes, Mariah Bell, play for the USA in the team tournament? After all, it was she who became the US champion this season.

“I didn’t make the decision, but I didn’t insist. What is the point of fighting for a person who obviously will not make a big contribution to the team result? I couldn’t say that my student will now come out and tear everyone up? And I said to Bell herself: “Didn’t they give it? So you're just not good enough."

sheetz

Better translation of the Raf interview from another thread.

Fadeevfanboy

Amazing video of past US gold medalists welcoming Nathan to the club
Love all of those. I couldn't stand Evan until like 2009 worlds then he began to finally grow on me. It wasn't since he won since before that I couldn't stand even his lesser successes than his big win at the 2009 worlds. He just finally resonated with me somehow at last.

olympic

A.H.Black

avivadawn

His Long to Philip Glass is a masterpiece. My favorite of his long programs. Rocketman appealed to the masses, but also seems to be truer to the fun side of his personality.

~tapdancer~

Knees won't let me tap dance anymore

ross_hy

Amazing video of past US gold medalists welcoming Nathan to the club
Wow, that was really special (and I wasn't expecting it to make me so emotional). I think it's safe to assume the club won't ever meet in person as is, so this is the perfect keepsake. I'm also proud to see that Nathan responded so quickly in the comments and thanked them all personally. He's really showed how classy and humble he is these last 24 hours.

sk9tingfan

The ballet side of Nathan Chen by Phil Hersh:

avivadawn

The ballet side of Nathan Chen by Phil Hersh:

I’m so touched (and am also a big Madison Young fan and have been for many years. She’s now a principal dancer at the Bayerische Stattsballet in Germany) to read this. Wow! Thanks for sharing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information