Nathalie Péchalat

MacMadame

Doing all the things
There are ways to send strong messages about sexual harassment/abuse, and prevention
And one of them is to not work with people who are abusers as it sends a message to their victims that what happened to them isn't very important in the grand scheme of things.

In fact, society making sure there are consequences for that sort of behavior is the absolute strongest messages that can be sent.

Japanfan

Why be selective, go ahead and get on your high horse about Woody Allen and all the actors who have worked with him after the allegations of his sexual abuse.

Choosing to avoid working with or otherwise support privileged persons with certain criminal convictions does not = getting on a high horse.

Such excoriations and list-making will take up the rest of your lifetime. I'm sure you'll have plenty of help.

:confused: I'm not making any lists.

There are ways to send strong messages about sexual harassment/abuse, and prevention without resorting to lynch mobs bent on exacting unrelenting, never-to-be satisfied, revenge. The matter of justice is another thing entirely.

And justice for the wealthy and privileged yet another matter.

I don't see any lynch mobs. I was glad that a publisher recently chose not to publish Allen's book. And the general public has good reason not to see a Polanski film.

Last edited:

aftershocks

Banned Member
And one of them is to not work with people who are abusers as it sends a message to their victims that what happened to them isn't very important in the grand scheme of things.

I'm at a loss to say what needs to happen to Roman Polanski at this point. All of you who know better are lucky to be so sure. What should have happened years ago at the time didn't. We can't change that. Do you know whether or not Polanski repented? Did he apologize to his victim? Did he ever engage in the same reprehensible behavior? Is there ever any room for rehabilitation? There are horrible things that weak, despicable people have done that have never been brought to light, or only brought to light after their deaths. Case in point: Sally Field's stepfather. There are no easy answers. These are deeply emotional, distressful, complicated human issues. Everyone has either experienced abuse of some kind or another, or know someone who has. Those of you who have all the answers, kudos.

In fact, society making sure there are consequences for that sort of behavior is the absolute strongest messages that can be sent.

Sure, but it would be helpful to not lump every case and every situation together. It's not that simple.

Reminder: This thread is supposed to be about Natalie Péchalat being elected as the next president of the French Skating Federation. We can't solve these other issues in this thread.

okokok777

I'm at a loss to say what needs to happen to Roman Polanski at this point. All of you who know better are lucky to be so sure. What should have happened years ago at the time didn't. We can't change that. Do you know whether or not Polanski repented? Did he apologize to his victim? Did he ever engage in the same reprehensible behavior? Is there ever any room for rehabilitation?

These questions would probably hold more weight if a) he had served his sentence rather than lived as a wealthy, professionally successful fugitive for the past 43 years b) hadn't been accused of sexual assault by multiple women (Renate Langer, Marianne Barnard, Valentine Monnier, etc.)

As I already said, I don't know much about French fed politics. Those who do can commence getting out your score cards.

Péchalat did not win the job of judge, jury and executioner. Certainly, there are enough avengers around to take care of that. Let Péchalat have the opportunity to do the job for which she was elected please, before deciding that you know what kind of decisions she will make that are related to her job, not to her husband or to her friendships.

I don't understand why you're pre-emptively attacking people who may have a different opinion than you. For example, providing an explanation on how the actions of Jean Dujardin contributes to rape culture doesn't make someone "self-righteous".

There are ways to send strong messages about sexual harassment/abuse, and prevention without resorting to lynch mobs bent on exacting unrelenting, never-to-be satisfied, revenge. The matter of justice is another thing entirely. Too often, justice doesn't happen. But rushing head-long with know-it-all judgments and lumping situations together IMO isn't helpful.

Somebody says "Hey - I don't like the fact that Nathalie supported her husband's decision to work with a convicted child rapist & alleged serial rapist" or "Hey - I don't like the fact that Nathalie reposted an endorsement by a man who admitted to sexually abusing a child" and your first response is to claim they're avengers, part of a lynch mob, etc.

I personally don't think that conveniently ignoring the actions, words and policies of a person who was recently elected the president of the FFSG is particularly helpful. TBH I think that dismissing anyone,who so much as questions some of the aforementioned actions of Nathalie, as "self-righteous", "holier than thou", "know-it-all", etc. is extremely counterproductive.

I have other opinions but they've already been eloquently conveyed by other posters - if you aren't willing to engage in thoughtful conversations with them, I'm guessing that my efforts would be fruitless as well.

aftershocks

Banned Member
I don't understand why you're pre-emptively attacking people who may have a different opinion than you. For example, providing an explanation on how the actions of Jean Dujardin contributes to rape culture doesn't make someone "self-righteous".

I'm not attacking anyone. It's the other way around. I congratulated Natalie Péchalat for being elected the next president of FFSG, and all hell broke loose.

I haven't yet seen anyone provide 'an explanation on how the actions...' etc. etc. I do not think such a detailed explanation is appropriate to this thread either. Why don't you start one to carry on that endless flame-throwing diatribe.

I personally don't think that conveniently ignoring the actions, words and policies of a person who was recently elected the president of the FFSG is particularly helpful. TBH I think that dismissing anyone,who so much as questions some of the aforementioned actions of Nathalie, as "self-righteous", "holier than thou", "know-it-all", etc. is extremely counterproductive.

I have other opinions but they've already been eloquently conveyed by other posters - if you aren't willing to engage in thoughtful conversations with them
, I'm guessing that my efforts would be fruitless as well.

Counter-productive to what exactly? The real question is whom exactly is being dismissed in the first place.

Thoughtful conversations? Give me a break. It's obviously your way or the highway.

This thread should be about Nathalie Péchalat's victory and the multitude of tasks ahead of her, but it's being centered exclusively on one emotional topic of conversation. And you guys can continue having at it! As you will.

Translation: I've said my piece. Now I will attempt to shut down any response.

You can carry on as you please. Never mind me. Oh oops, you don't anyway. No need for my input.

Last edited:

aftershocks

Banned Member
Somebody says "Hey - I don't like the fact that Nathalie supported her husband's decision to work with a convicted child rapist & alleged serial rapist" or "Hey - I don't like the fact that Nathalie reposted an endorsement by a man who admitted to sexually abusing a child" and your first response is to claim they're avengers, part of a lynch mob

You should go back and check. It's not about certain people in this thread simply NOT LIKING these so-called 'facts.' It's about "nuclear options," and "burning everything down to the ground." As I said, continue having at it. There's enough sadness going on in the world at the moment. Scorched-earth thinking doesn't solve any of the problems that increasingly exist.

I reiterate my congratulations to Nathalie, and I await the results of her presidency, and I wish her good luck.

Last edited:

VGThuy

I don’t think anybody here is engaging in lynch mob mentality or advocating for burning down anything. All I saw was sincerely-felt criticisms of Pechelat’s behavior leading up to her election that makes people question her ability to understand the issues of sexual assault which is affecting the French Federation. Also, if you don’t think bad leadership after-the-act doesn’t continue to harm the athletes, I suggest you check out Simone Biles’ response to USAG wishing her a happy birthday. She is NOT pleased with them and thinks their inaction is continuing her traumatic experience but she keeps competing in spite of it because she is a champion athlete who feels she has more to accomplish in this sport.

So, regarding Pechalat, if her presidency turns out great and she becomes instrumental in helping rid the French Fed of the players that have had perpetuated or remained complicit in the culture of sexual abuse then great. But it’s up to her to act accordingly and win people over who have been turned off by her actions, which did happen.

Last edited:

DimaToe

Retired by Frank Carroll
As we’ve seen with USA Gymnastics things aren’t going to just go from horrible to great because of a new leader, we’ve seen how many presidents they’ve gone through and they’re still struggling. Nathalie might be the first of a long list of short term presidents. She might be great once she learns more being in that position. Point is things aren’t going to be great all of a sudden for French figure skating but she should at least be given a chance to see if she’s the right person for her position.

Eleanor2

Just as an FYI, and an odd trivia: Polanski and Samantha Geimer are friends on internet, email each other. She (back even when young) refused a second trial, agreed to financial settlement in private, and when she received her last payment of 600,000+ USD, she started defending him, saying she does not want his life ruined, and this is becoming a witch hunt, which she objects to because she want a talent like Polanski to have a good life. (i can find and post links).
I can not believe you dared.
"she wishes him. a good life" blah blah blah, you make me sick. Good think you are banned from posting more BS on this thread. Unforgivable behavior.
I'm not attacking anyone. It's the other way around. I congratulated Natalie Péchalat for being elected the next president of FFSG, and all hell broke loose.

I haven't yet seen anyone provide 'an explanation on how the actions...' etc. etc. I do not think such a detailed explanation is appropriate to this thread either. Why don't you start one to carry on that endless flame-throwing diatribe.

Counter-productive to what exactly? The real question is whom exactly is being dismissed in the first place.

Thoughtful conversations? Give me a break. It's obviously your way or the highway.

This thread should be about Nathalie Péchalat's victory and the multitude of tasks ahead of her, but it's being centered exclusively on one emotional topic of conversation. And you guys can continue having at it! As you will.

You can carry on as you please. Never mind me. Oh oops, you don't anyway. No need for my input.

They have and you refuse to understand. Péchalat, twice, and not even elected president, showed a clear inability to understand the issues at stake despite her claims. Remaining silent would have prevented all this trouble and she could not even do that.
Trying to lecture people about being too quick to judge Polanski is as outrageous as it is stupid. She probably doesn't even know what she is talking about. She did not need to comment the situation yet she did. The man is a rapist, admitted to have committed rape on a minor, the gory details are the internet if you want, and fled justice because poor man could not handle prison (can't blame him on that though considering what was coming for him there). More women came forward accusing him of similar charges. She shot herself in the foot big times and posters are right to question her ability to prevent any more harm to happen to young girls. This thread is very appropriate to do so and I'll even go further. It's THE BEST PLACE to effin' complain about it.
I'll admit it, I don't like her. She comes across as a very entitled mean spirited woman. It's written on her face. I don't trust her in any way to do something other than please her self centered personality and feed her ego. She did not even care of the break of coronavirus and refused to accept to postpone the elections ! That's the way to go girl !
Time will tell, of course, but she earned the defiance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information